What's new

Kava Preparation Who has tried the Boiling Kava method ?

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Taste is obviously subjective but I have had several kavas that are not bad to actually tasting good - most of them were light, mostly lawana, tongans and hawaiians. BKH F'U was darn tasty with a creamy almost vanilla flavor. Maybe unfair to compare but the fresh kava from RoH was very tasty as well. Almost always the kavas that were the worst were heavy hitters, and they were very bitter. So for me the bitterness is what kills the deal - and boiling your kava or using hot water will make it more bitter. That said, I will still choke down a kava made from hot tap water when I need a good kick of heavy to lock me down for the evening but it is not the most enjoyable drink.
Samesies!

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I tried it once but didn't like the texture at all - it had me gagging, so I lost the pleasure I get from downing a shell. It was stronger for sure, but lacked the range of effects that regular trad prep or the blender provides.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WaitingForGrogot

Kava Curious
I use the boiling method. I know it's not very popular nor traditional, but for me, it makes a little Kava go a lot further. And that's important as I live in a place where Kava is difficult and expensive to obtain. Here's my method:

1. Add Kava to a pan and pour over a little boiling water and milk, leave to cool for a few minutes (this will soften the Kava ready for blending)
2. Add cold water to pan, use hand blender to break up the kava pieces for more efficient extraction.
3. Bring to a rolling boil and then shut off the heat and cool rapidly (I transfer the liquid to a cold pan to help with this).
4. Strain through a mesh (I use 200 micron).
5. Enjoy!

Because this method releases so much starch, it with be a thick consistency. It seems to take a long time to cool as well, far longer than hot water, so careful not to burn yourself whilst straining! You can freeze the left over Kava from the mesh and collect it for future use, though as this method is quite efficient, you'll need quite a lot of left over for a potent grog. Bula!

CrunkMonk

Kava Curious
It changes the effects for me that's why I boil just the makas now and use it as a foot bath and absorb the kava transdermally. It's really good.
You could try an enema out of it LOL. I did 3T of Vanuatu medium grind boiled [and cooled down of course] in 6 cup bowel retention enema. It made me feel very heavy without any cerebral effects...

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
You could try an enema out of it LOL. I did 3T of Vanuatu medium grind boiled [and cooled down of course] in 6 cup bowel retention enema. It made me feel very heavy without any cerebral effects...
You did what? I just had a very strange mental picture of what a nakamal of the future could look like.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk