What's new

Why Can't I Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
My Pouni Ono and Bourogno came in today. I had two cups of Ono and one of Bourogno. It's 2 a.m. and I am still wide awake. I'm still new to Kava, but I'm assuming the Ono is the cause of my being awake. Anyone else experience this?

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
How soon do you drink it before going to sleep? For the stimulating ones I stop around 3-4 hours before bed time. I usually take borogoru and nene about an hour before bed to help me sleep because they are great for that. Nene is better for the falling asleep part and borogoru is better for pain and relaxing.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I had the Pouni Ono about 4. Borogoru around 8 or 9. Seemed like the Borogoru kicked the Ono back into overdrive. It felt like years ago when I was using much harsher stimulating substances. I also took a Lyrica which usually helps me relax and sleep. Could that have something to do with it?

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
I had the Pouni Ono about 4. Borogoru around 8 or 9. Seemed like the Borogoru kicked the Ono back into overdrive. It felt like years ago when I was using much harsher stimulating substances. I also took a Lyrica which usually helps me relax and sleep. Could that have something to do with it?
No matter what, all kavas are going to have some kavain in them, no matter what strain they are. And yes, a little bit more kavain will potentiate whatever kavain is still in your system.

Lyrics acts on the yo gaba gaba receptors, which are the same receptors that the double-bonded kavalactones act on, so there's no way that that stopped you from sleeping.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
My children are why I'm up after about two hours sleep lol. I'm experimenting now. I mixed the two together to see if I get the same crazy energy I did last night. The first one I had was Loa Waka and I found it to be mildly sedating. I could drink it in small amounts during the day and have a good dose at night. It would send me right off to dream land. I normally have a problem staying awake long enough to spend time with hubby after the kids go to sleep. It may take some trial and error but hopefully I'll find a balance between productive days and restufl nights.

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
Are you sure it was borogoru? That is a heavy strain. There is also borogu and borongoru that are not heavy strains. I don't think KWK has borogoru. Loa Waka is not sedating to me at all. However, strains work differently for different people. Larger doses make me feel sedated and smaller ones don't usually.

EQ

Atman
Some Kavas can do that.

There are Kavas that I absolutely love effects wise but I won't sleep until 5am. I simply don't buy those Kavas.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I'm going to try just consuming them during the first half of the day. Hopefully that will help.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I thought the borogu was supposed to be sedating, but apparently it isn't. At least not for me. I'll probably try to order a really sedating stain in a few days.

F3TU5

Kava Enthusiast
borogu wasn't sedating for me either. Actually amped up my anxiety some nights, now I just stick away from that stuff and go for blends

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Glad I'm not the only one. The waka was mildly sedating for me. I could drink it during the day and feel relaxed, and it helped me sleep at night. It also made me lazy, which was why I wanted a heady strain. Think I'll get some waka for nighttime use and keep the others for daytime. Guess everyone has some trial and error when they first start out.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I think it takes a little while to get use to what strain to drink and what time to drink each strain concerning sleep. I like to drink heady kava right after work a while before dinner so I can enjoy it then have the dinner settle it back and maybe a night cap small shell before bed. This seems to regulate my sleep very well. With the heavy kavas I have to be careful not to drink them too early or then I am falling asleep too early. Like sleeping at 10ish and waking up at 3am but still don't need to get out of bed till 6. Then you are bored, tossing and turning, and finally get sleepy again right before the alarm goes off, which I find to be brutal. Some do amp me up too much, and some put me straight to sleep. Took me a while to get my medicinal amounts and times down.

Last edited:

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
I also have trouble sleeping after kava at times. Haven't been able to identify which ones are causing it.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Borogu specifically is dosage dependant to me... as are all heavy kavas for me.. they are cozy in the beggining but if i go to far they make me super tweaky

Kavamon

Jamaican me crazy
I can never sleep after drinking kava. Its much closer to caffeine for me. i only drink on Thursday, Frida and Sat for this reason specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.