What's new

Why do no suppliers list the chemotype on the bag?

scaryjarri

Kava Curious
Is this because it varies so much between bags? As we were just drinking kava, I was just reading something chris wrote about how much 3 year old plants produce. This might be common knowledge to some connoisseurs but wasnt to us. I have maybe 15 different kava bags ina drawer at a time and know what I like at certain times usually but, every once in a while discover something I didnt love at first serves a different purpose or becomes better t me later. Also we have some Cactus fiji and Lawena that I keep buying and notice big differences from different orders. All have been very good but, the and color varies widely.

This made me wonder if the chemotype testing is done across a large sample of a harvest when perhaps one plants chemotype varied widely from another of the same type and harvest. is the testing done over a broad sample/mix? Or it is easiest enough to do for each plants, say 30# harvest?

I get more alert affects usually and was searching for more late night, non-activating kavas but, since im always doing 100 things, I havent been able to add notes about different strains or batches like real nerd would do. Although< i would like that. Every once in a while I look at the chemotypes when I can find them on ghk. Otherwise I just go by what I like.

Does it make any sense to list the chemotype on the bag or does it change to often amongst the same strain or is does it end up being too much info for the average drinker. In selling things, I know we dont want to bombard our buyers with TMI in a lot of cases but the connoisseurs tend to go down the rabbit hole of TMI.

Edit: I should have said, why do suppliers not list the chemotype? Grammar not me forte.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
It's expensive to change the packaging with every batch.
The kava isn't being sold in brick-and-mortar stores where customers pick them off the shelves and compare them with other products, so having it on the packaging isn't really necessary.

Last edited:

ThePiper

Kava Lover
They wouldn't have to change the bag. Just use a separate sticker or leave a spot on the label to write it in manually. It sounds like a cool idea, and definitely reasonable. I do wonder how often vendors are actually testing and if they test for phenotype every time or just nobility. I imagine if it's cheaper to just test nobility the vendor would test chemotypes on the first batch and just stick with nobility tests after that.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
They wouldn't have to change the bag. Just use a separate sticker or leave a spot on the label to write it in manually. It sounds like a cool idea, and definitely reasonable. I do wonder how often vendors are actually testing and if they test for phenotype every time or just nobility. I imagine if it's cheaper to just test nobility the vendor would test chemotypes on the first batch and just stick with nobility tests after that.
My impression is that most don't test that often. I think a majority test the first batch when trying out a new supplier and then after that they rarely if ever test again. Just look at the COAs of the folks that do post them - most are old. A good testing program will have random sampling of every shipment to verify you are still getting what you ordered. I would love to see batch numbers on bags that then correspond to COAs posted on vendors website. The COA ideally would test nobility, and provide not just total KL% but each individual KL% in addition to verification of no aerials, or other contaminants.