What's new

WHY DOES KAVA TASTE SOOO DISGUSTING!

foxycleo

Kava Curious
I cant seem to get over the taste , ive mixed it with milk and coconut water and nothing disguises it and also as I go to down it , it just comes straight back up!
anyone got any tips for this please?!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
It becomes a habit and you get used to it, I am 6-7 months in and it doesn't really phase me anymore, in fact i look forward to it, because my brain knows what it means for my body and mind right after. Some lighter Fijian and Tongan kavas taste quite good too.

foxycleo

Kava Curious
its the cementyness of it , and its quite thick too , ive tried 2 now and they are both the worst, although with good effects so I really want to keep drinking it.
I wish I could make tablets with them!

Abbas

Kava Curious
Some people add lemon or lime juice, but that almost chalky consistency you're going to have to get used to. You can add more water so it's not as "cementy" but it's still going to have somewhat of that consistency. Just stick with it and you'll get used to it. Some kavas taste worse than others

ondance-a-tron

Kava Curious
It tastes that way because, well, you're drinking the root of a plant? :LOL: Jk
Drink it ice cold, mixed with a drink, and/or pinch your nose and chug. For the consistency, add more liquid.
Over time, it might be less scary consuming a shell. I tend not to focus on what it will taste like but rather anticipate the effects and I just chug until it's over with.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Sometimes the old traditional ways are the best- the 5 ounce, half coconut shell technique -- a quick swallow and a follow-up chaser of an olive (in old Hawaii, dried fish, or banana piece). It is a different way of thinking, we are drinking this not for the taste but for the mind, body, maybe spirit or soul if you follow that. By-pass the taste. In old Hawaii 'awa was the food of the gods and taro, poi, was the food of the people. Some of the old chants liken 'awa consumption as 'becoming like a god'. Over time, with good cultivars and traditional beverage the effect can be so extraordinary that the 'flavor' just is not there anymore.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
If you haven't tried a Hawaiian kava, give one of those a try. Makahea (sp) is a mellow one.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Pinch your nose, chug it, and wash out your mouth with some kind of chaser (I prefer seltzer water with a bit of stevia, I find carbonated beverages are the best) before letting go

currentbun

Kavacidal Maniac
Did you enjoy your first beer/scotch/wine/whatever?

It's an acquired taste. Give it time. Even if you don't love it, you'll get used to it.(y)

foxycleo

Kava Curious
thanks for all the replies , I will persevere with it , I am not good with shots anyway when im drinking alchohol , they tend to come back up sometimes lol , so chugging more than one mouthful is a challenge for me , will hopefully get their though! :)

ta-va

Earth Bound
Hi foxycleo,

I had the same problem, especially after becoming sick on kava big-time recently - I was all bravado until this happened. Was difficult to get back from the gagging factor. I wrote a post at a new blog I've started about how to cover up the taste of kava. Listen to the ideas here and come to your own solution. For me, doing what kavadude suggests above "pinch nose, chug and cleanse" is the only way I can go now. It's a swift action where I try to just imagine myself away from the scenario. If it's quick and the kava is cold, taste doesn't come into it too much. And it's way too good an effect to not put up with that small discomfort, for me.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
It actually doesn't. Some is more peppery, some has a bit of a soapy taste, some has a mild creamy taste. Drink whichever type bothers you least. I like the peppery and creamy ones but the soapy isnt horrible. Try to be grateful to the kava instead of cringing at it. If you can't, everyone here will finish your shell for you..

Someone here suggested lemon or lime juice added to the grog.

ta-va

Earth Bound
"Try to be grateful to the kava instead of cringing at it"
I like this mantra, although it's hard to do, sometimes. Even if it kicks down like a bucket of putrid drainwater, give thanks and praise to the roots, soil and earth. It will help you to connect. Go out and sit amongst the greenery and ask them if they get it any better?

nakamalathome

Kava Vendor
I've been drinking kava for 15 years and have still not acquired a taste for it. The best way I've found is to drink about 4oz as a shot and chase it with fruit or candy to get rid of the taste.
I have made kava with pineapple before though, blending the ground up roots with chunks of pineapple and letting it sit for a while before straining. That did taste pretty good- for kava!

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Chug it down with a toothbrush handy, brush your teeth right afterwards, and then drink some ginger tea to settle your stomach. My 2 cents...

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Sometimes I use milk as a chaser, for the stronger kavas I drink, might sound weird, but a sip of milk eliminates the taste almost immediately.