What's new

WHY DOES KAVA TASTE SOOO DISGUSTING!

Panaeolus

What I've been doing which seems to work well is take a small cranberry juice chaser, then eat a few wasabi peas.
I still almost puke when chugging a tablespoon of micronized though, sometimes. Haven't yet though.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
If kava tasted good to most people, there would be a global shortage. Everyone would be on to it. I struggle with getting it down.

I am sure there is history out there somewhere, but how the heck did the pacific islanders figure this one out? How did they get over the initial nasty taste long enough to realize that the effects were worth it? I'm glad they did . . .

Chronophan

Kava Curious
If kava tasted good to most people, there would be a global shortage. Everyone would be on to it. I struggle with getting it down.

I am sure there is history out there somewhere, but how the heck did the pacific islanders figure this one out? How did they get over the initial nasty taste long enough to realize that the effects were worth it? I'm glad they did . . .
I'm guessing this it might be like any food that in the beginning someone got really bored or really hungry, and while not nourished by chewing the root they found the mouth numbing effect interesting, and shared it with other people. Many old cultures support the nourishment of children and elders without teeth by chewing food for them, so once the effects were discovered the beverage may have evolved as a ritual for respecting elders and for calming children. Kavalactones are not soluble in water, but something in the act of chewing along with the simple cold water extraction helped carry kavalactones in the beverage while not carrying the more toxic constituents in the plant. Tradition taught new consumers of 'awa to drink 'awa in small amounts stretched out over time, and matching the consumption with seasoned consumers who has already developed reverse tolerance to the effects. People and cultures that consumed 'awa in what we now call a traditional way survived to carry on the tradition because they didn't succumb to toxins in 'awa reported recently by scientists who used more rigorous extraction methods uncontrolled consumption.

I suggest sticking as close to traditional methods as possible while using the freshest Noble Kava products available. I wish I cold get a hold of some fresh damp roots cut just a few hours ago from Noble plants after a heavy rain but I think the next best thing is medium grind GHK. I've tried micronized 'awa but despite the care taken to reduce the long fibers I find the the stomach irritation still detracts from the effects. The mechanical processing of medium grind GHK exposes 'awa enough root starches and kavalactones so its fairly easy to create a good strong 'awa. I've described experimented improving the process of making 'awa beverages in another thread in this forum but can summarize it all by saying it is hard to improve upon the tradition.

As far as taste goes, most of the 'awa I've bought recently has come from GHW and I've never had any problems with the taste of drinks made their 'awa. Of course I' sixty years old and a former heavy smoker so my ability to taste and smell isn't as good as it once was.