What's new

Why doesn't kava work well with physical activity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
I notice that whenever I use kava and do anything like work out, bike ride, etc the effects seem to diminish rapidly. Does anyone else have this issue?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I don't know, but I hypothesize that in the way you've described it's not much different than the reason why you can be laying in bed, sleepy and sober, but in an instant, you can decide to do something active like ride a bike or work out and your brain chemistry will change to suit the new activity. The act of deciding to be active and doing something active releases a new balance of hormones and neurotransmitters, like adrenaline & whatever else, that override the cozy, sleepy state you were in prior.

The fact that you can quickly override kavas effect like that (in most circumstances) is a pretty significant difference between it and 'harder drugs'. It might even possibly be a clue that the effect kava has on your hormones and neurotransmitters more closely mimics that of similar natural body processes than other drugs do. This is not say that kava is even weak or mild compared to other drugs, it can be plenty strong, and sometimes just as strong as 'hard drugs', I think it just happens to have a chemical effect that coincidentally can be both effective and also largely suppressed fairly easily when needed. Just as it happens to be effective yet non-addictive, non-tolerance building and generally neutral to your health.

The other way kava and physical activity don't work well together, is that it can simply feel bad to do both, your stomach can be queasy and full of liquid, your whole self generally feels drawn toward simple, peaceful, quiet relaxation and enjoyment...ripping yourself out of this state can feel unpleasant and the unpleasantness becomes a distraction.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I notice that whenever I use kava and do anything like work out, bike ride, etc the effects seem to diminish rapidly. Does anyone else have this issue?
For me quite the opposite, I find each enhances the other. And I get a feeling very specific when in that zone: the world is beautiful and I belong right where I am. Hard to describe but it's the complete opposite of alienation. Exquisite.

Maybe there's some other feeling other than usual krunk + activity to be looking at?

Disclaimer: as kava is a diuretic extra attention needs to be paid to hydration during physical activity, over and above the extra attention kava demands already. Be very careful as it can and has killed.

Crunked

Proselytizer
I experience the best effects if I have nothing or very little to do once I have begun consuming. In other words, I am able to relax and let the kava come to me and do its magic. Conversely, if I started drinking later than I wanted to and then start making dinner when I am rushed and under the hammer, the effects of kava are muted. In short, I find the state of mind is relevant to the kava experience. Engaging in physical activity which requires concentration such as weightlifing, tennis etc is a kava killer, at least for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.