What's new

Why must Kava be consumed on an empty stomach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ouijayes

Kava Curious
I know that the consensus is that/either it is more efficacious this way or it makes the difference whether it even works at all. Basically, it's best to consume it on an empty stomach.

I haven't really found anything in under a minute (perhaps two) of research on this matter, but isn't consuming a GI irritant on an empty stomach a bad thing?

Also, for example, when ethanol is consumed on an empty stomach, aside from the potential for gastric irritation, it quickly enters the bloodstream causing intoxication faster (which isn't always a bad thing::;)2::).

So it is possible (again, I am ignorant of any other stuff that could be going on as the grog hits the stomach) that Kava is recommended to be used on an empty stomach in order to feel effects because kavalactones are rather weak. If quicker entry into the bloodstream is required in order for the compounds to produce a noticeable effect, then there are just not enough of them.

I left out a few variables, and probably arrived at some wrong conclusions (I'm positive I am wrong, haha), but that makes for a more interesting thread.

...Right?

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Yep, kava works better when it's consumed on an empty stomach. You need to drink much less to feel its effects. Obviously this means that you are a bit more likely to get nausea, but many people get nausea from too much liquid (and you need a lot of kava shells to feel kava effects after a big meal). This applies to the kind of kava we drink outside of the islands. When I visited Vanuatu and had some fresh kava on an empty it was simply too strong. Almost scary. ;) but in a good way! :D

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
I think people are exaggerating on how much of an empty stomach you need in order to feel the pleasant effects of kava.
People are talking about 4-5 hours of not eating. For me, that makes me completely nausea if I drink kava - I simply need some food-material in my stomach when I drink kava. Of course, eating a large meal and drinking kava right after will not do much. I think two hours of not eating after a normal meal is fine in order to feel the effects of kava - at this point, it doesn't feel like an "empty stomach" but you just feel normal. A little bit hungry, that's it.

Remember to drink a lot of water when not eating. :)

KavaCat

Meow.
I kind of agree with nhoeg. I actually like to be a fully empty stomach when I drink it, BUT almost right after I have it, like within 30 minutes, I will eat a little snack. Because for me, too, having nothing in my stomach but kava makes me feel kind of queasy. Sometimes I do eat my little snack at the same time, and that works out just fine. I think it's pretty much the same reason as other substances, it just gives your stomach more opportunity to absorb kava faster, instead of all that food muddling it up. There's no difference for me in having a little snack or not. But you will see a big big difference, if you've eaten a huge meal beforehand. Don't do that.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Yes an empty stomach, or at least no food in the previous 2-3 hours is definitely needed to get the full benefits of kava.
Many people in Vanuatu will have a small bite between shells - a small piece of taro or banana, both to clean the mouth and stave off nausea. Small snacks like this don't reduce the effects noticeably.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Yes an empty stomach, or at least no food in the previous 2-3 hours is definitely needed to get the full benefits of kava.
Many people in Vanuatu will have a small bite between shells - a small piece of taro or banana, both to clean the mouth and stave off nausea. Small snacks like this don't reduce the effects noticeably.
Does anyone know why this is the case?

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
If I am going for a heady kava I have to no eat for at least 4 hours. But I am on a medication that slow gastric emptying. I learned this through trial and error. Because of this I leave my heady kavas for when I KNOW the kids will be out of the house and food is not cooking. The absolute worse is having planned a heady kava Friday night and the wifu decides to cook up a full meal.

That being said, a good 90% of my kava use is for relaxation/pain relief and I do not want a heady vibe. So as long as I don't stuff my corps full to the gullet, I will enjoy my kava session.

Once again trial and error!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Interesting topic. I wonder if drinking after a meal, although not giving you the immediate rush, would still give you the anti anxiety effects due to the build up of kavalactones in the system? What I mean is the next day mellow feeling just without the major highs the previous night.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Interesting topic. I wonder if drinking after a meal, although not giving you the immediate rush, would still give you the anti anxiety effects due to the build up of kavalactones in the system? What I mean is the next day mellow feeling just without the major highs the previous night.
It certainly does do that. I'll wake up feeling it, whereas if I had drank it the night before with an empty stomach I wake up and don't feel it. It definitely seems to keep the kava in your system longer due to slower absorption.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I'm glad this was posted because I to think its about a FULL MEAL not eating in general... I started not eating before kava and it felt okay but I was so hungry after that Id eat alot and it would go away..

A small snack doesn't count as eating before kava !.. definitley don't starve yourself for kava! Lol
Eat the meal spread out works great .. small amounts of food increase kavas heady effects for sure !.. just don't get full !. Like someone else said ^ not empty not full and it's perfect !

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Due to my job I have to think hard about the logistics of food and kava. I'm never totally sure when I will finish work, could be 15.00 pm or 21.00 pm or even later. Usually I have a fair idea once I know what jobs I have for the day. I normally eat a decent breakfast and lunch but I will try not to eat anything after 14.00 and if possible start my kava session at 18.00. If I'm in the lorry I will go with a tablespoon of instant in 200 or so ml of water and then if I have time I'll have another tbsp. Then I wait a while before eating. I don't like to eat during my session. If I don't finish work til later then it can be up to 7 hours without eating but I make sure I take in plenty of water, probably primes me for the kava anyway.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I need to fast to feel strong heady effects too. I usually slam a couple cups of kava while prepping dinner and enjoy the kava till dinner is ready. The dinner will die back the effects. I still feel relaxed but it knocks down the intensity of the kava for me. If I wait an hour after dinner sometimes I can build maybe 3/4 of the intensity back up.
The weird thing is lots of time I make my kava in V8 Splash orange pineapple flavor and that doesn't seem to interfere with the effects of the kava like food does.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I need to fast to feel strong heady effects too. I usually slam a couple cups of kava while prepping dinner and enjoy the kava till dinner is ready. The dinner will die back the effects. I still feel relaxed but it knocks down the intensity of the kava for me. If I wait an hour after dinner sometimes I can build maybe 3/4 of the intensity back up.
The weird thing is lots of time I make my kava in V8 Splash orange pineapple flavor and that doesn't seem to interfere with the effects of the kava like food does.
I suppose it doesn't affect the absorption of it?

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I suppose it doesn't affect the absorption of it?
Yeah I am guessing it is the same as how a small snack doesn't kruzzkill too bad, but a full dinner will kill the kruzz. Sometimes I will get dinner ready for the rest of the family and they look at me like why aren't you eating. Oh I will later, I just want to listen to the kava a little more. My girlfriend will just roll her eyes, and jokingly say, Joe you got a problem, or you think you are so cool with the kava jargon don't you.
FYI I only suggest waiting on dinner if you are the one preparing it. Do not, I repeat do not, skip the meal if your significant other prepares it to listen to the kava. You will not have to worry about food killing the effects, as the screaming will do that anyway.

Last edited:

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
See know I had lunch at noon and had one shell 8 ounces at 5:30 and another about 10 minutes ago and I am twisted up proper!!! Starve for a nice kruzz, and feed a too much kava nausea

ouijayes

Kava Curious
I Sometimes I do eat my little snack at the same time, and that works out just fine. ........ There's no difference for me in having a little snack or not.
Does anyone know why this is the case?
Liquids hit your stomach faster. i read somewhere like half-an-hour quicker I think. if you're drinking alcohol and eating at the same time, and your stomach is empty, the food won't stave off the GI effects as it would if you were to eat sooner.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
I just wonder why it gets so much less potent between, say, Vanuatu and here.
I haven't read up on the science that explains it, but I believe @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava has mentioned on here that kavalactones deteriorate quite a bit during processing.

1. Kavalactones are lost when the kava is first washed. I used to let the roots soak in a huge basin for 30mins+, and then shake it all up to get rid of the dirt, etc. Sometimes, light scrubbing is necessary. Anyway, after the roots are removed for drying, the dirty water left behind is pretty strong... just tasting it gives you numbness.
2. After washing, the kava is laid out to dry for 3+ days. During bad weather, you can be drying your kava for a week or two. I'm sure a lot of kavalactones are destroyed during the process.
3. Once dry, the kava can be in storage or in transit for weeks or months before it is ground down into powder. After that there is more storage... months or years.

It all adds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.