What's new

News Article Why the buzz for kava is growing, and how The Calmer Co. is capitalising - Stockhead

• Thread starter Google Alert - Piper Methysticum
  • Start date
G

Google Alert - Piper Methysticum

The drink, produced from the ground roots of the plant Piper methysticum, specifically found in islands across the South Pacific, has for ...

Continue reading...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Quote 1: “Kava, in general, has a really beautiful calming effect. It makes your mouth go numb and tingly when you drink it, and you do feel a little bit of a buzz. And then that relaxed effect, that’s similar to Xanax.

Quote 2: “It interacts with one of the cannabis receptors in the brain – a weak interactor with CB1 – so there’s a very slight similarity to cannabis, but nowhere near as intoxicating, and has the benefit of reducing anxiety.”
Interesting news article, but had some issues in there.

Quote 1: Highly disappointed they used the term "similar to Xanax". Luckily for all of us, it's not.

Quote 2: When they said "weak" boy, they meant it. Yangonin's affinity for CB1 was found to be about 175 fold less than that of ∆9-THC

Jack3

Kava Curious
Interesting news article, but had some issues in there.

Quote 1: Highly disappointed they used the term "similar to Xanax". Luckily for all of us, it's not.

Quote 2: When they said "weak" boy, they meant it. Yangonin's affinity for CB1 was found to be about 175 fold less than that of ∆9-THC
I’ve definitely seen some Xanax zombies but never a kava zombie. No severely impaired judgment, no amnesia, no harrowing and potentially fatal withdrawals.

It might seem weak until one crosses that line.Kava can be incapacitating and affect balance and coordination in a way that cannabis does not.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I’ve definitely seen some Xanax zombies but never a kava zombie. No severely impaired judgment, no amnesia, no harrowing and potentially fatal withdrawals.

It might seem weak until one crosses that line.Kava can be incapacitating and affect balance and coordination in a way that cannabis does not.
Totally agree. In terms of "weak" I only speak that towards the affinity of yangonin for CB1 :)

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Ha Ha! The Yangonin! So while it may be 175 times less potent by weight than D9 THC on the CB1 receptor, let's say I'm brewing up 40grams of kava which has 1% yangonin in it.
1% of 40,000mg is 400mg. Then, I am yielding how much KL%?

Well, definitely more than one, because of this logic. Even if 10% overall kavalactones, 1% of 4000mg is 40mg which is not enough KL to explain the effect 40g brewed has. 400mg KL might. Or 800mg. So I'm thinking 10-20% overall KL. I believe one brewed 40g serving of kava contains between 20 and 160mg Yangonin, and the kind of kava I'm drinking around 40-80mg per 40g brewed. 100g is about the upper limit of root for me and the entourage effects would be full swing by then however I'd definitely love to learn more and try some naturally high in yangonin cultivars of kava!

If we are successfully able to yield 30% of KL from traditional prep brewing, this means a 60g serving of kava can have 180mg yangonin in it!