What's new

With stronger kava is it better to have longer time between shells?

N

Noname

If I have strong kava is it better to do 30-45 minutes between shells instead of 15-20?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Depends how you feel. I tend to mix some strong kava but I always wait and see how I feel after the first one. I vary the time between shells based on that. I seem to be able to get the timing right to get me and keep me where I want to be. Remember kava has a delayed effect so slamming strong shells every 15 or 20 mins is more than likely going to make you feel pretty ill. Sure you'll probably feel fantastic for a while but then really bad. I don't know the best way to get a feel for it? I made some mistakes early on and felt pretty rough quite a few times but these days I seem to be able to always keep myself the right side of the nausea.

Maybe if I'm in the mood or had a bad day or whatever I'll mix up some strong kava, say 3/4 of a cup of most kavas, maybe 1/2 a cup or a bit less even of something stronger, in 2 to 4 cups of liquid depending on the day and how much time I have then I'll slam the first cupful and wait and see how I feel. It could be 30 mins, never usually less, but if that first one hits me pretty hard I'll wait longer, listen to the kava and just ride the waves until I feel them starting to subside slowly then add the second and keep doing that until it's gone. Sticking with a fixed timing regime doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Listening to your body and how you feel bearing in mind the delayed reaction of kava makes a lot of sense.