What's new

Would it make a difference to put Medium Grind in a coffee grinder ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I want to ask, just to make sure I'm not wasting time by trying to put Medium Grind in a coffee grinder, in an effort to get it somewhere in between Medium Grind and MicroGrind.
Basically is the coffee grinder capable of producing much of a difference in the coarseness, so that the potency results would be better after using such a grinding device ?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I want to ask, just to make sure I'm not wasting time by trying to put Medium Grind in a coffee grinder, in an effort to get it somewhere in between Medium Grind and MicroGrind.
Basically is the coffee grinder capable of producing much of a difference in the coarseness, so that the potency results would be better after using such a grinding device ?
Not to my knowledge, but you could put medium grind in a paint shaker with water like Matt did from Kavafied.. :)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have taken medium grind and turned it into microgrind with a blade coffee grinder that I no longer use. Or you can use it to take a really course grind to a medium. It works just fine to do this. I don't care for microgrind anymore so I only did it a few times just to play around. Didn't seem to do any more damage to my coffee grinder than using it for coffee.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Not to my knowledge, but you could put medium grind in a paint shaker with water like Matt did from Kavafied.. :)
I have taken medium grind and turned it into microgrind with a blade coffee grinder that I no longer use. Or you can use it to take a really course grind to a medium. It works just fine to do this. I don't care for microgrind anymore so I only did it a few times just to play around. Didn't seem to do any more damage to my coffee grinder than using it for coffee.
Do you think if I took medium grind and ground it up good in a coffee grinder, that I could then treat it as an "Instant" without a high possibility of "side effects" that comes from consuming root that's not fine enough ?

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
No. The side effects come from makas/partiulcates that seem to dry the body excessively compared to the minimal amount when using a 100 micron or less strainers.

But you could increase potency of the kava by grinding it more if it is a stubborn kava grind that take's extra long to make a nice bath from.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I discovered another reason to further grind the root powder, making it worth grinding, if only for this reason alone.
It increases the volume significantly.
I'm estimating the volume increases by about 35%, which in turn saves money, because if or when you grind, you likely would use less, then if you didn't.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
No, in my experience, if too much root escapes from my strainer, I will re-strain it into a finer-micron strainer to continue making tea. "Too much root" is identified as more than half of what I began with. So breaking up of medium grind happens inside the strainer. No need to do it dry. Take a root chunk that is wet for more than a minute and see if you can break it apart into fibers.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I discovered another reason to further grind the root powder, making it worth grinding, if only for this reason alone.
It increases the volume significantly.
I'm estimating the volume increases by about 35%, which in turn saves money, because if or when you grind, you likely would use less, then if you didn't.
yes, but you'd then be consuming indigestible matter which the grind was originally designed to prevent you from accidentally consuming. It's called makas for a reason.