What's new

You never forget your first time.

Ilikemudkips

I herd u liek mudkips.
Thank you for all the information. I've got to say, best community ever. I've been on this forum for barely a day or so and I already feel at home. The kava will be here tomorrow. I can't wait to post my experiences. You're all awesome!!

Ilikemudkips

I herd u liek mudkips.
My kava finally arrived! I ordered the starter kit from Kalm with Kava and received Vula Waka and Boronguru as random chance. I decided the Boronguru sounded like something I needed in my life and proceeded with the blender prep with the coconut water as suggested. Including the second wash. Within minutes of drinking a small portion of the beverage, I'm on cloud 9. Thank you everyone for the advice leading to this epic first experience. Also, the flavor isn't as bad as I originally thought it would be but, it's not exactly tasty. Coconut water was a good call.

Ilikemudkips

I herd u liek mudkips.
I used vita coco due to availability. I assume any decent quality coconut water would do. I'd stay away from the cheap stuff though. Kava already tastes rather bad and mixing it with cheap coconut water could make it a lot worse.

Kava Wolf

Prowling for Kava
Welcome, @llikemudkips. I'm pretty new here myself. My first sampler came from BKH. I agree that you need to start out a little stronger. My first 2 were 2 tblsp and I felt nothing. Since then I've had 4 tblsp every time and notice it much more. Also, I used melted coconut oil the first few times, then switched to Kerry Gold Pure Irish Butter, unsalted...seems to work very well. I wish you well on your Kava journey.

Ilikemudkips

I herd u liek mudkips.
@Kava Wolf I never thought of using coconut oil but, in hind sight that sounds really smart. I've been treating my kava closer to a tea, now that I've been hitting the shells every day. Just a touch of creme, and a bit of sugar. Warm. And I've had good results. One thing is for sure, my job is a lot more standable now.

Kava Wolf

Prowling for Kava
@Kava Wolf I never thought of using coconut oil but, in hind sight that sounds really smart. I've been treating my kava closer to a tea, now that I've been hitting the shells every day. Just a touch of creme, and a bit of sugar. Warm. And I've had good results. One thing is for sure, my job is a lot more standable now.
I only use the coconut oil and real butter because everything I've read here in the forum leads one to believe fats help get the Kava going...otherwise I just drink it straight. It is strong but the taste is growing on me.

Ilikemudkips

I herd u liek mudkips.
I only use the coconut oil and real butter because everything I've read here in the forum leads one to believe fats help get the Kava going...otherwise I just drink it straight. It is strong but the taste is growing on me.
That makes a lot of sense. Do you notice a difference between prep with or without fat included?

Kava Wolf

Prowling for Kava
That makes a lot of sense. Do you notice a difference between prep with or without fat included?
I forgot to mention that I've only used the AluBall to mix my Kava. Haven't even tried traditional prep yet. I only add the coconut oil or butter after I've mixed it and put it in a glass to drink. I wouldn't try putting it in the AluBall during the shaking process only because I don't know how that would affect clogging the screen of the ball.