What's new

Your favorite Fijian Strainer?

Roaddog

Kava Who?
51Vs1kUPNqL__SX522_.jpg

kava bag.png

I have used both of these strainers. I find the white one lets more matter through, but the colored one, lets less through but you must be careful to not squeeze next to the seems, or they will split. I usualy order one or the other once a month from Amazon. Much love. Roaddog....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Those are the ones I have used in the past. I got the plain white one in the mail and haven't used it cause like you said I figured it would let a lot of material through. I didn't realize they still have the fijian style.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Those are the ones I have used in the past. I got the plain white one in the mail and haven't used it cause like you said I figured it would let a lot of material through. I didn't realize they still have the fijian style.
Well heres what I like to do. I double strain mine, if I have the white one. Except instead of using the white strainer for the second strain, I use a simple handkerchief. This makes the most perfect strained kava. Well why not just use a handkerchief alone? Because it takes forevvvvvver to strain kava through just a handkerchief. But they flow fast if done the white one, then a handkerchief. You will be amazed how much ends up in the handkerchief, compared to just a white strainer.

Now the colored Fijian strainer, works great. Its 3 times larger, leaving 3 times more available places to strain through. I like to message the strainer, and not put much force on them. As I said they will split easily. But if done right gives a much finer tea. Not quit, but almost similar to my double strain prep, I described above. So I guess that's my 2 cents on the strainers. They both work great, but both have there flaws. If in doubt, bust out the handkerchief. Much love. Roaddog....

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Actually I just did a double strain, and took a picture of what all is left inside the handkerchief. I hope you can see it well. It left about a teaspoon of material after being strained with the whit kava bag. Much love. Roaddog....
Agh, $6 for standard USPS shipping? I'm so spoiled by the vendors on here.
Well you could always give them $75 and become a prime member. I used to be one. But don't order as much stuff anymore. Much love. Roaddog....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I am a prime member. I didn't see they have them on amazon, I swear last time I looked they weren't there, so I ordered it from them. And it's cheaper, $14 for two strainers instead of $16.

Sent an email to cancel. Not a big deal if they don't.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
cool, glad ya got a good deal. Also its nice to get your orders in 2 days. They also got pretty good movies, like Netflix, does. Also I ordered the same strainer 2 weeks ago. And they sent me the right one. Yes if they get it wrong, they have to fix it. Much love. Roaddog....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I mean it's cheaper to order it from amazon ::explicativesz::

Does anyone have any objections to me replacing every smiley with ::ricky::

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
I'm prob in denial but I think my muslin strainer bags were busting because they were filled to just less then full when I was squeezing them (10tbsp at 3.5inX4.75in), so I went ahead and ordered some "official" muslin strainer bags from here http://www.muslinbag.com/ instead of beating around the bush on other websites....but I guess you could acclaim I'm still beating around said bush. :LOL:
I can acquire some knee-high stockings, but of course I will not be purchasing them myself because that would mentally violate me and my manhood. :ROFLMAO:

I'll also go ahead and get a fijian strainer soon, but those other muslin strainer bags were cheap change and these appear to made of higher quality so this comes first. :rolleyes:;)

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Update: They cancelled it nice and quick. Thank you Kule'a.

@Monkava'd I'm surprised you busted one of those, the ones I have seem really really sturdy, though I've never used them much.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
::ricky:: I bought my Fijian strainer locally.(not helpful) I don't know how it compares to others, but it's definitely the finest and most durable strainer I've ever used. It's the only one that hasn't torn...and it strains so well, that I find myself not using it for many kavas--since it lessens the potency.(wasteful) Mine is double bagged (not sure if they all are) and the sewing is all crooked on it, but that just verifies it's authenticity to me. ;) ::amirite::::ricky::

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I have fairly good results with double straining with two tidy whitey laundry bags. I purchased mine from Amazon because I couldn't find one locally that was made by "Tide".

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Update: They cancelled it nice and quick. Thank you Kule'a.

@Monkava'd I'm surprised you busted one of those, the ones I have seem really really sturdy, though I've never used them much.
Hahaha, I guess I reached the "point of no return" and added more kava than it can strain safely.
But I can confirm that nylon leggings work great.
As long as you strain once and then strain again with a second one you can be assured your kava will come out smooth and potent.
Along with another anomaly I'm confused by...can anyone confirm if this is instant kava?
20140810_143109.jpg

This is what resulted from the second strain.
Here's another pic-
20140810_143003.jpg

Normal used root to the right and "kava clay" (possibly instant) to the left.
I have my suspicions that it's instant because it dissolves completely in water.
This resulted from the second strain....so what is this, it's pretty potent. :hungry:
Oh and @kavadude I have no objections to ::ricky::being used to replace any smilies you wish.

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I don't know @Monkava'd , what the hell is all that, and where did you get it from? I have never seen kava like that. Did I miss something???? Much love. Roaddog....