What's new

Your Thoughts Re: FVK's Santa Cruz vs KT's Santo's Pride?

Lenticels

AluNaw
They're both proclaimed as being "very heavy" and "hard-hitting," i.e., quite high in 2, and, to a lesser extent, 5 (at least gleaning from the COA for the former; the latter lacks a COA. But, then again, COAs seem to be frequently botched... and the Pb et al. is just slightly perturbing.)

Can anyone vouch for which one they think is the better of the two? By better, I suppose I mean (ideally) both smoother & more potent, effect(s)-wise.

Also... strongest/most body-oriented effects you've received from a kava? It's been asked before, I know, but I'm re-igniting in hopes of getting better/different answers.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
It is my understanding that as much as each individual kavalactone has a certain effect profile, the combination of all 6 is the key behind the effects. So isolating one or another doesn't translate to better results.

Comparing different kava varieties and effects can be a bit subjective as it depends on personal preferences and individual body reactions. Some may find one type smoother while others might feel it's more potent. It’s often a bit of a trial and error to find the one that suits you best.

However, talking about "body-oriented" effects, kava with a higher kavalactone content (the compounds 2 and 5 you mentioned) might provide stronger effects. But, this also might mean a rougher experience on your stomach or even more potent side effects, such as drowsiness.

Lenticels

AluNaw
It is my understanding that as much as each individual kavalactone has a certain effect profile, the combination of all 6 is the key behind the effects. So isolating one or another doesn't translate to better results.
Ah, I knew about this at one point but forgot about it thereafter for some reason; good point. But I think (if my memory if serving me correctly) that the first three KLs in the chemotype have the most profound effects, so 2 & 5 being part of said first three would likely provide the majority of the effects. Also, I believe 2, 4, and 5 are the most understood KLs recreation-wise, so 1 (particularly), 3 (moderately so), and 6 to a lesser degree generally have somewhat subordinate (or at least, less-understood) effects for the recreational user.
Comparing different kava varieties and effects can be a bit subjective as it depends on personal preferences and individual body reactions. Some may find one type smoother while others might feel it's more potent. It’s often a bit of a trial and error to find the one that suits you best.
I've come to realize this, but I'm really trying to get something that's going to be anything-but-suble in its effects and, hopefully, blow me away... but I guess that may be wishful thinking.
However, talking about "body-oriented" effects, kava with a higher kavalactone content (the compounds 2 and 5 you mentioned) might provide stronger effects. But, this also might mean a rougher experience on your stomach or even more potent side effects, such as drowsiness.
I'm pretty sure 5 is more likely to have injurious effects, re: the potential for nausea, drowsiness & all of that. I think it's best if 5 is in fourth position or less, but it's also a sometimes unfairly maligned KL at the same time... that being said, I probably shouldn't have even mentioned 5, because FVK's Santa Cruz doesn't seem to be particularly high in it; I must have misread the COA for some reason.

2 & 6 (i.e., not 5) might work synergistically to confer more auspicious "heavier" effects in many of your noble kavas.

Last edited: