What's new

Kava Preparation Ziploc bag plan

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So I dont have to make kava daily, I spent an hour making several different kava's and bagged them. I just pop a bag in the microwave and defrost it every morning.
Oh this is great. I was waiting for someone to adopt this routine and let us know how it works.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
So I dont have to make kava daily, I spent an hour making several different kava's and bagged them. I just pop a bag in the microwave and defrost it every morning.
Doesn't it taste different once you defrost it? Doesn't the microwave affect the KL's since it's being nuked? I have no idea which is why I am asking. I wonder if defrosting it by dunking it a bow with hot water would be better at maintaining the integrity of the grog. I am definitely interested in knowing more as well :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Doesn't it taste different once you defrost it? Doesn't the microwave affect the KL's since it's being nuked? I have no idea which is why I am asking. I wonder if defrosting it by dunking it a bow with hot water would be better at maintaining the integrity of the grog. I am definitely interested in knowing more as well :)
I've done this before, kunky. The taste is muted a bit since it was frozen, but honestly it's basically the same grog that went in before it was frozen. Nuking the batch probably wouldn't hurt it unless you're boiling it.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I've done this before, kunky. The taste is muted a bit since it was frozen, but honestly it's basically the same grog that went in before it was frozen. Nuking the batch probably wouldn't hurt it unless you're boiling it.
This may be interesting on a pick nick or an all day event where you want to leave the house with a slushy/frozen concoction and it be ready by the time you get there. Like the fourth of July or some such day.

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
I should have been more clear that I was planning on putting it in the microwave, but up to this point, I just tried with with one bag so far and just let it melt starting in the morning until the afternoon. What I like about this method is that I put a quarter pound of kava in a strainer bag and knead for about 20 min, so it saves me some time. I know some of you like the kava ritual, but I find it very mundane.

Chris1052

Kava Curious
Why freeze? Would storing jars in the fridge not work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Why freeze? Would storing jars in the fridge not work?

Longer storage. Kava kept unfrozen in the fridge will last a few days. Kava kept frozen will last indefinitely until the water sublimates and you're left with instant kava again ;)

Chris1052

Kava Curious
Longer storage. Kava kept unfrozen in the fridge will last a few days. Kava kept frozen will last indefinitely until the water sublimates and you're left with instant kava again ;)
Is a week too long to leave it refrigerated? What happens to it, does it lose potency or actually go bad and make you sick?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Some people have left it up to a week in the fridge, some refuse to let it go past 3 days. I've never managed to make it last more than two because between me and the wife it's gone real fast. It's so easy to do a 4 oz shot or mini shell, especially if it's just sitting there in the fridge all prepped and ready. I might not always want to krunk but it's hard to imagine a time that a little 4 oz shot of grog isn't welcome. As a health tonic, you understand.