What's new

Newbie!

Dmcgee1980

Kava Curious
Hello! I'm new here! I recently quit drinking alcohol and found that some Kava tea was REALLY helping with anxiety and cravings. I ordered some of this
Amazon productand the Aluball brewing system. I am excited but nervous to start.

The tea was so helpful, but I keep getting nervous that I might react poorly to fully on Kava.

How should I approach making my first batch? 1 tbsp in 1 cup of water?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hello! I'm new here! I recently quit drinking alcohol and found that some Kava tea was REALLY helping with anxiety and cravings. I ordered some of this
Amazon productand the Aluball brewing system. I am excited but nervous to start.

The tea was so helpful, but I keep getting nervous that I might react poorly to fully on Kava.

That stuff is significantly stronger than usual kavas, so use a bit less than standard recipes call for, imo. This kava is fine, I drink it, just a heads up it is strong.

Dmcgee1980

Kava Curious
Since I'm a total newbie, I've only used teabags that contain some kava, how would you go about making a shell? I bought the aluball with it. I dont want to ruin an afternoon by being messed up. I just want a nice smooth mellow feel for parties/get togethers and to take on vacations for relaxing by the pool.

I'm hoping this substitutes for the fact that I cant drink alcohol anymore bc I'm an alcoholic with no control and my hangovers/withdrawls are brutal.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Since I'm a total newbie, I've only used teabags that contain some kava, how would you go about making a shell? I bought the aluball with it. I dont want to ruin an afternoon by being messed up. I just want a nice smooth mellow feel for parties/get togethers and to take on vacations for relaxing by the pool.

I'm hoping this substitutes for the fact that I cant drink alcohol anymore bc I'm an alcoholic with no control and my hangovers/withdrawls are brutal.
IMO, then, the best recipe would be using one AluBall, put in two level teaspoons of the kava, and use 400 mls water. Shake it for 30 seconds or so, pour into a quart mason jar. Then add 300 ml water, shake for a full minute, maybe a little more. Pour that into the jar and mix the two. That should make three shells that you can spread out by once every 45 - 60 minutes.

Also, there's still good stuff in that wet powder inside the ball. Get a container that can hold two or three cups and open the ball up and tap the "makas" into the container and store it in the freezer until the container is full, assuming that every time you drink kava you'll have more makas. Anyway, when the container is full you can make another gallon of grog with it but you will need a large strainer bag for kneading it by hand. You can save a lot of money this way.

Dmcgee1980

Kava Curious
Thank you so much! I've been a bit nervous about making my first batch as I don't want to get "Hammered" but do want to spend a nice afternoon with some friends in the back yard. They're not alcoholics so they get to drink, I want to feel comfortable and social :)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
That stuff is significantly stronger than usual kavas, so use a bit less than standard recipes call for, imo. This kava is fine, I drink it, just a heads up it is strong.
Strong you say...huh, pretty good price as well. Might just have to amazon that up since my stock is getting low.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Pic didn't load for me - since you are talking about strong Amazon Kava, are you talking about Dua Na Bilo? Good stuff for me.

Tumarumaru

Gunga la Gunga

First off...Good Job in quitting alcohol! Just remember that your body is trying to adjust to that- as well as your brain. So don't freak if weird things come about. Kava saved me from alcohol a year ago. It's a good choice!! So read up, ask, this group here is the greatest...we're like family!