What's new

new way to potentiate kava

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
This is going to sound ridiculous but I found a way to potentiate kava greatly. One night I was having something with asparagus in it and though it also had avocado in it, I noticed I got a boost before I even got there that no fat has ever done before. So I singled out asparagus and bought a frozen pack from the store, thawed them, and cut up some spears (no cooking). I usually have my med grind and a couple balls of micro I let dissolve under my tongue and wash down, so after my second I wait 10-15 minutes and eat the plain asparagus. I can repeat this too, very little variance in how much it potentiates kava each time. Does anyone here know what could be doing this in it?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
This is going to sound ridiculous but I found a way to potentiate kava greatly. One night I was having something with asparagus in it and though it also had avocado in it, I noticed I got a boost before I even got there that no fat has ever done before. So I singled out asparagus and bought a frozen pack from the store, thawed them, and cut up some spears (no cooking). I usually have my med grind and a couple balls of micro I let dissolve under my tongue and wash down, so after my second I wait 10-15 minutes and eat the plain asparagus. I can repeat this too, very little variance in how much it potentiates kava each time. Does anyone here know what could be doing this in it?
Are you sure you didn't just get a heady hit off the smell of your urine?:woot:
No idea why this would potentiate but heck anything for science! Just curious why you don't cook it?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Now that's unique. I love that it's repeatable. I probably would have put money on the avocado being that it's full of fatty things, and would have most likely been stumped. Good on you for narrowing that down!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Two potentials:
(1) There is some evidence to suggest Asparagus is a diuretic. Could this cause a potentiating effect?
(2) The same sulfur and ammonia compounds that get metabolized by eating asparagus also in some way potentiate?
I don't know but I am stopping at the grocery store tonight on the way home.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
Are you sure you didn't just get a heady hit off the smell of your urine?:woot:
No idea why this would potentiate but heck anything for science! Just curious why you don't cook it?
The frozen stuff from the store is ready to eat after being thawed and for my experiment and I didn't want to cook out any natural juices. I'm as confused as you. I was thinking that the vitamin E could be causing this but otherwise I have no clue. After the asparagus I eat a small amount of peanut butter usually on a tortilla chip.

Two potentials:
(1) There is some evidence to suggest Asparagus is a diuretic. Could this cause a potentiating effect?
(2) The same sulfur and ammonia compounds that get metabolized by eating asparagus also in some way potentiate?
I don't know but I am stopping at the grocery store tonight on the way home.
Possibly that's why, there has too be a greater flow of something going on after consuming it because it just goes right to your head. I can't see any other nutrients in it that would cause this and I've eaten a lot of different kinds of food on kava. Nothing else has been able to do this to this extent.

edit: Still the same thing tonight, I usually wait around an hour after I finished all my kava to eat anything if that helps too.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
The frozen stuff from the store is ready to eat after being thawed and for my experiment and I didn't want to cook out any natural juices. I'm as confused as you. I was thinking that the vitamin E could be causing this but otherwise I have no clue. After the asparagus I eat a small amount of peanut butter usually on a tortilla chip.

Possibly that's why, there has too be a greater flow of something going on after consuming it because it just goes right to your head. I can't see any other nutrients in it that would cause this and I've eaten a lot of different kinds of food on kava. Nothing else has been able to do this to this extent.

edit: Still the same thing tonight, I usually wait around an hour after I finished all my kava to eat anything if that helps too.
I didn't get a chance to stop at the store last night - might try again this evening before my session.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
I didn't get a chance to stop at the store last night - might try again this evening before my session.
Still happening here, now last night when I was over a family members place I was eating some veggies in rice and got more of a boost after. I tried peas on their own but that did nothing. Carrots did though, not as much but they did. I'm baffled, looking at the nutrition info I can't find anything that I can pin down. I did find carotene in both the carrots and asparagus along with lycopene that isn't in peas.

"lycopene is enhanced by the presence of fat and by cooking" and "Lycopene is a key intermediate in the biosynthesis of carotenoids, such as beta-carotene," was found in an article on lycopene. Going to isolate carrot next time and see what that does alone. Shot in the dark but if this works out I have something, don't know how it's exactly working though besides this little link.

Update: Carrots raw alone do nothing much so whatever is doing this is specific to asparagus. I've eaten many other vegetables and herbs on kava before but don't get anything like this. Fat alone doesn't either. I'm stumped. Will continue to look into this but I can't assure anyone any answers.

Last edited: