What's new

Sourcing Kava in Australia

Hi all
I'm trying to source some kava in Australia. Does anyone have any tips or experiences with this?

I can see that the kava candy does ship to AUS but I'm worried about getting it through customs.

Really appreciate any help!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
@Henry is from New Zealand and may be able to point you in the right direction, he also sells kava. Welcome aboard.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
If you order, do it with open eyes. The customs risk is real...lost $500 of micro and got blacklisted by customs. No fine the first time (for me, but losing the kava was enough ).
There's currently a review on commercial imports, so things may change late this year. I'm researching distribution but the TGA fees seem prohibitive.
Surest way atm is to get a cheap ticket over to NZ when borders reopen and buy some from Henry or order to your hotel. You can bring back up to 4kg on your person and please let us know if you're not going to use all your allowance

Last edited:
If you order, do it with open eyes. The customs risk is real...lost $500 of micro and got blacklisted by customs. No fine the first time (for me, but losing the kava was enough ).
There's currently a review on commercial imports, so things may change late this year. I'm researching distribution but the TGA fees seem prohibitive.
Surest way atm is to get a cheap ticket over to NZ when borders reopen and buy some from Henry or order to your hotel. You can bring back up to 4kg on your person and please let us know if you're not going to use all your allowance
Thanks for the tip..
Not possible for the foreseeable future unfortunately :(

AaronCobra

Kava Curious
You can get Kava in capsule form from Fiji Kava. Also Chemist Warehouse sell Thompsons Kava. Both are nothing like drinking trad prep shells but better than nothing.

The Fiji Kava caps are better but you need around 10 to feel anything, pretty expensive option.

Be careful of EBay and Gumtree, I’ve got Kava from both and it seemed dodgy and felt gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get Kava in capsule form from Fiji Kava. Also Chemist Warehouse sell Thompsons Kava. Both are nothing like drinking trad prep shells but better than nothing.

The Fiji Kava caps are better but you need around 10 to feel anything, pretty expensive option.

Be careful of EBay and Gumtree, I’ve got Kava from both and it seemed dodgy and felt gross.

Thanks

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast

Concur with all above. The black market kava is often cut with flour or worse.
FK is better than Thompsons imo but I take 20 of the FijiKava and it's like...half a shell :( really hope the Aus review goes swimmingly and they get Taki Mai powder in later this year.

AaronCobra

Kava Curious
Concur with all above. The black market kava is often cut with flour or worse.
FK is better than Thompsons imo but I take 20 of the FijiKava and it's like...half a shell :( really hope the Aus review goes swimmingly and they get Taki Mai powder in later this year.
Don’t know why the FK is so weak, I went through 30 caps yesterday and i could only just feel it.

Is it just micro that they’ve put into capsules?

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
I suspect it's the Taki Mai powder, yeah. But the caps don't hold much. I used to take 4-6 tbsps of that stuff so no wonder the caps don't cut it.

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
Fiji kava are giving 90 taki Mai caps free with a bottle of 90 Fiji kava caps, so you get a little more for your money right now (still $80 though). Personally I've managed to pick up a kg from FB marketplace, and a kg from eBay within Australia. I've also had luck shipping from the US from Cactus Kava, and Kisas kava via Amazon. But my last two have been seized by border force, so I'll knock that on the head now. You'd think they would exercise common sense and let it through, as you can't fly to a Pacific island right now and grab 4kg, but hey..

AaronCobra

Kava Curious
Fiji kava are giving 90 taki Mai caps free with a bottle of 90 Fiji kava caps, so you get a little more for your money right now (still $80 though). Personally I've managed to pick up a kg from FB marketplace, and a kg from eBay within Australia. I've also had luck shipping from the US from Cactus Kava, and Kisas kava via Amazon. But my last two have been seized by border force, so I'll knock that on the head now. You'd think they would exercise common sense and let it through, as you can't fly to a Pacific island right now and grab 4kg, but hey..
Out of curiosity, did amazon refund your purchase as it wasn’t delivered?

I had one order from Cactus Kava make it thru and one that got seized.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Nodsey where did you see the Taki Mai deal?

AaronCobra

Kava Curious
I don’t think the deal is advertised but I got the free Taki Mai with my Fiji Kava order recently

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
Out of curiosity, did amazon refund your purchase as it wasn’t delivered?

I had one order from Cactus Kava make it thru and one that got seized.

To be honest I didn't follow it up - I'm guessing it's buyer beware where a package is seized by customs?

AaronCobra

Kava Curious
How’s the eBay kava? I bought some last year and it gave me some very strange (non-kava) effects. Was either cut with something or Tudei or just poorly processed.

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
How’s the eBay kava? I bought some last year and it gave me some very strange (non-kava) effects. Was either cut with something or Tudei or just poorly processed.

Yeah it's OK I think? I'm not noticing any weird effects so far, though I've only tried a little...