What's new

Health concerns

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Hi guys. So I've been taking Ayahuasca (caapi vine) for microdosing for almost a month now and it's beginning to feel like I'm seeing some changes in myself with regards to depression and anxiety... It's actually pretty nice. Very subtle but it's there and I'm noticing it in my personal life.

My concern is, I really like kava. Always have. Even before I started microdosing with ayahuasca. So now I just want to make sure that I'm safe because Ayahuasca is an MAOI. To be clear, it is a reversible MAOI, which is a lot different from the prescription drug maois which are irreversible in their nature. someone wants told me that this makes kava a safer alternative to mixing with Ayahuasca as opposed to mixing kava with prescription drugs. if any of you can speak to any of this please let me know because I just want to make sure that I'll be safe. I have been taking Ayahuasca for almost a month now and I'm about to take a two-week break from it as instructed by the distributor I purchased it from. In these two weeks I'm sure I can take kava and not have much of an issue but I was just curious as to whether any of you knew how safe it was to combine the two together. Not at the same time, mind you, but just within the same day a few days span...

Thank you

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I'm not sure about potential interactions, so wouldn't want to advise one way or the other. But..

I have never heard of anyone microdosing ayahuasca. That sounds really interesting. Do you feel any short term effects on the days that you take it? I was always under the impression that the hallucinogenic effects and the spirit journey were what helped people get "breakthrough" moments, and that this required a toxic dose. I have heard of people microdosing with mushrooms and getting good results. Ayahuasca just seems so much more intense. Would love to hear more.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not sure about potential interactions, so wouldn't want to advise one way or the other. But..

I have never heard of anyone microdosing ayahuasca. That sounds really interesting. Do you feel any short term effects on the days that you take it? I was always under the impression that the hallucinogenic effects and the spirit journey were what helped people get "breakthrough" moments, and that this required a toxic dose. I have heard of people microdosing with mushrooms and getting good results. Ayahuasca just seems so much more intense. Would love to hear more.
So it doesn't have DMT in it... I don't experience hallucinations while taking it. I just notice it helps with my anxiety and depression. It's an MAOI, but a reversible one, so I was curious if anyone on here knew if it would be deadly to take in tandem with the kava

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi guys. So I've been taking Ayahuasca (caapi vine) for microdosing for almost a month now and it's beginning to feel like I'm seeing some changes in myself with regards to depression and anxiety... It's actually pretty nice. Very subtle but it's there and I'm noticing it in my personal life.

My concern is, I really like kava. Always have. Even before I started microdosing with ayahuasca. So now I just want to make sure that I'm safe because Ayahuasca is an MAOI. To be clear, it is a reversible MAOI, which is a lot different from the prescription drug maois which are irreversible in their nature. someone wants told me that this makes kava a safer alternative to mixing with Ayahuasca as opposed to mixing kava with prescription drugs. if any of you can speak to any of this please let me know because I just want to make sure that I'll be safe. I have been taking Ayahuasca for almost a month now and I'm about to take a two-week break from it as instructed by the distributor I purchased it from. In these two weeks I'm sure I can take kava and not have much of an issue but I was just curious as to whether any of you knew how safe it was to combine the two together. Not at the same time, mind you, but just within the same day a few days span...

Thank you
I have been microdosing the Ayahuasca vine (Caapi) for about 6 months and I never had a problem with kava, I usually have my Caapi as part of routine first thing in the morning. I only drink kava later in the afternoon on most days, even when used close to some shells, again I haven't had any problems.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Is it legal to buy ayahuasca for microdosing? Wondering how this trend got started.
Yes (it's legal to buy Banisteriopsis Caapi only), I buy mine from a website called Mystic Planet. They have a nice FB community to support the philosophies of Caapi and Shamanic Ayahuasca ceremonies. I am not sure how the trend started here in the US, I found out about it while doing research on Ayahuasca ceremonies. I have some friends who participated in them and it's something that I have interest in doing, when this pandemic allows for safe international travel again.

Zuvuya42

The word Ayahuasca means vine of dead souls or vine of the dead, and is a reference to the banisteriopsis caapi plant, especially when made into a tea. The tea/brew can have different admixtures, from chacruna (psychotria viridis, DMT containing) to tobacco rustica. Interestingly, the active compound responsible for MAOi effects in banisteriopsis caapi was called telepathine when it was discovered. All that being said, most people refer to any combination of maoi and dmt as ayahuasca, hence the confusion.

Kavalactones have mild reversible MAOi effects, weaker than b caapi but still present, so maybe just watch your diet for excessive tyramine content if you intend to consume a large amount of kava with your b caapi, although it's probably a non-issue - serious tyramine induced hypertensive crisis is very rare to non-existent with reversible plant-based MAOis.

neeko b

Kava Curious
Aren't we lucky to know of these plants? Just wanted to mention I read of some pretty bad interactions between kava and caapi on the ayahuasca.com forums. But those were more about taking regular size doses within 24-48 hours, not micro, which probably doesn't inhibit much MAO. Uncharted territory... let us know how it goes if you give it a shot. :)

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
Just curious, what kind of effects and benefits do you feel/get from the b. caapi vine? How does it compare to kava? As far as the traditional ayahuasca brew I believe the caapi serves mostly to make DMT orally active. But it is an MAOI, as are some kavalactones, so I imagine caapi on its own could feel vaguely like kava?

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Just curious, what kind of effects and benefits do you feel/get from the b. caapi vine? How does it compare to kava? As far as the traditional ayahuasca brew I believe the caapi serves mostly to make DMT orally active. But it is an MAOI, as are some kavalactones, so I imagine caapi on its own could feel vaguely like kava?
Well to be honest it just helps with anxiety. It's subtle but my panic attacks aren't as strong when I'm on caapi