What's new

Is it really necessary to take breaks from kava ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I remember seeing someone mention it in a thread, that they had to break from kava, to bring back the effects that are lost from long-term use.
But I hadn't seen anything anywhere else about it.
I had heard about taking breaks from other botanicals, but I thought kava was an exception due to that whole Reverse Tolerance thing.
So if RT is real, then why is it necessary to take breaks ?
Or do some people not find it necessary ?

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
It is an exception. I guess some people just get so use to the effects that they notice/appreciate them less? Either way, if anyone were to hypothetically have this issue, switching cultivars/vendors frequently would be an easy fix.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
I have heard that some can get lethargy and depression from daily use for too long.
I've noticed a bit of lethargy, but not depression. What it is is the long-lasting kavalactones building up in your body to the point where you're in a semi-permanent state of krunk or rooted or whatever we want to call it. But the longest-lasting kavalactones are the "heaviest" ones so you have some of the sedation and muscle-relaxation ongoing but with none of the "heady" effects. Taking a break for just a day or 2 clears it right up though.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I'm of this opinion. In fact the only times I take breaks are when I'm physically sick from some pathogen.
Haha, that is basically me! Due to my compromised immunity, I have not been free from multiple pathogens for even a single day since 2005.

I use kava to elevate above the daily difficulty of coping with long-term debilitating conditions. To reach a place every day where I am free.

But of course I can understand how kava would be significantly more enjoyable when one is not ill with some type of nasty infection somewhere or other.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I use kava to elevate above the daily difficulty of coping with long-term debilitating conditions. To reach a place every day where I am free.

But of course I can understand how kava would be significantly more enjoyable when one is not ill with some type of nasty infection somewhere or other.
I have to say one the fantastic pleasures of running this website is seeing kava working magic in people's lives.

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
I have to say one the fantastic pleasures of running this website is seeing kava working magic in people's lives.
If I have nothing else to do, I enjoy just reading through all the posts everyday and it makes me smile

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
I find it hard to take a break, because some Kava always sounds like a good idea when the evening comes around. I don't think its necessary to take a break, but it would probably be beneficial. When I always have some amount of Kava in my system, its like that Kava state of mind is my regular. There is no contrast between the hard days and the relaxing effect of Kava. I think its good to let yourself work through some stresses in life without Kava, then appreciate Kava when you really need it. That being said, I'm being a huge hypocrite because I don't do that often, but when I do I feel more balanced.

Cockrock

I just tried kava for the first time a little over a week ago. Dosed 4tblsp blended in 16oz of almond milk up to 3 times daily. I hit a tolerance where not even increasing to 6 tablespoons had any affect at all at day 8.

I tried a different type from a different vendor and only got mild anxiety and restless legs from it so I am forced to take a break and let my body reset for a few days.

Kava is definitely an intoxicant, I did take 6tbsp early on in my journey and was flat on my back and unable to see straight, it was like I had drunk spins and my eus could not focus on anything bc nothing was sitting still for about 3hrs.

I don’t yet know if Kava is something I want in my life or not.

Kava Mike

Kava Curious
Sometimes the effects stop working for me so if I take just one day off, the next day I can hear the kava again.

PapaCthulu

Kava Lover
I had some problems with not feeling effects last year. I had 10 hour work days at the time and would drink it after work having fasted that whole time. In order to break it, I made it extra strong one night after reading advice on the forum and have not had any problems since.