What's new

Thoughts on KWK's Borogu?

astring93

Fairly new to traditional kava and wondering what people think of Kalm's Vanautu Borogu. Just placed an order actually, and was wondering if I'd be better off with the Loa Waka (which I've liked in the past and is likely my favorite so far). I've also enjoyed the Borongoru, but wouldn't consider it a favorite. Appreciate any input.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Fairly new to traditional kava and wondering what people think of Kalm's Vanautu Borogu. Just placed an order actually, and was wondering if I'd be better off with the Loa Waka (which I've liked in the past and is likely my favorite so far). I've also enjoyed the Borongoru, but wouldn't consider it a favorite. Appreciate any input.
If you enjoyed the borongoru you'll likely enjoy the borogu as well. In simple terms it seems to be a bit headier version of the borongoru.

astring93

If you enjoyed the borongoru you'll likely enjoy the borogu as well. In simple terms it seems to be a bit headier version of the borongoru.
Great! Thank you. I've tried several now, and haven't quite found a definite favorite. Was kind of wondering if the Borogu was considered a decent strength by others? As most people seem to recommend heavier ones like the Borongoru. Of course different people have different preferences.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Great! Thank you. I've tried several now, and haven't quite found a definite favorite. Was kind of wondering if the Borogu was considered a decent strength by others? As most people seem to recommend heavier ones like the Borongoru. Of course different people have different preferences.
Borogu is sort of an "every day" kava. It's such a commonly consumed strain. Sometimes it runs a little weaker than the other options, but it's also a bit cheaper as well.

Palmetto

Thank God!
KWK's borogu is more run of the mill than some other borogus available over time. Loa waka is mostly kavain, which has its upside and downsides.

Kava???

Kava Curious
I have very limited experience with kava, Borogu is the 2nd strain of kava that I ever tested, I drink it almost daily for the last week and I quite like it.
Like the others mentioned the taste is not nice, but I don't have anything to compare it to so I don't know how it compares to other kava.
I use 2 tbs per cup & I do 2 washes with blender & mix them together, at the beginning I made only 1 wash, but it seemed kind of wasteful.
After 2nd cup I can really feel the calming effect, if I drink 4 I can feel some kind of a high, hard to describe, but from my experience closest to marijuana, I sleep great after it, the only down side besides the taste is a mild dehydration.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I never liked the Borogu, looks like wood chips and it doesn't taste much better. Literally anything else from kwk is excellent.
I agree with this exactly - I bought 5lbs or so a couple of years ago based on good reviews but found it very weak, even when mixing huge amounts in hot water (up to 100g/liter). It has nothing in common with any Borogu I have drank in Vanuatu, and seems to be at odds with KWK's otherwise impeccable reputation.
Have you tried any of the offerings from Kava Time or NZ Kava Society? Both have very good kava varieties.

TheKavaFlow

Kava Podcaster
FYI, they changed how they grind their borogu. I just got a bag a couple days ago and it's ground just as fine as their other kavas now. Huzzah!

bobarctor

Kava Curious
I got some borogu from kwk eu, and there is an almost chemical but mostly slightly flowery (not very earthen or peppery) smell about the grind. The drink however tastes like a quite mild "light" kava but quite numbing. Anyone else got the same? Never had borogu like this before.

ObiWan

May the Brew be with you
I can confirm the chemical smell. Only had this once with a Kava when it was rotten. Really hope that KwK has tested this batch carefully.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Taste is subjective but my order is:
Tikaram's Vanuatu > Pouni Ono > Borongoru, Olimp's Savusavu > Melomelo > Loa Waka, Borogu >> Vula Waka.

Borongoru is most calming but weakish, Loa Waka is the strongest of the list (on the same day) but I do not feel any effects from Pouni Ono but it seems that is good for working on mental tasks that have a proclivity of being frustrating (improves mental resilience and mood with subjective effects milder thon coffee). Poini ono may mimic Ballmer's peak of beer but I am not very sure, might be placebo.

Olimp's savusavu has minimal effects on the same day but there is some dizziness and sedation in the next day, clearly -- this may be good against persistent anxiety. It is not pleasant but it might be good for mental rest if the day does not include need for initiative and drive (anti-dopaminergic?).

Tumarumaru

Gunga la Gunga
I have very limited experience with kava, Borogu is the 2nd strain of kava that I ever tested, I drink it almost daily for the last week and I quite like it.
Like the others mentioned the taste is not nice, but I don't have anything to compare it to so I don't know how it compares to other kava.
I use 2 tbs per cup & I do 2 washes with blender & mix them together, at the beginning I made only 1 wash, but it seemed kind of wasteful.
After 2nd cup I can really feel the calming effect, if I drink 4 I can feel some kind of a high, hard to describe, but from my experience closest to marijuana, I sleep great after it, the only down side besides the taste is a mild dehydration.
Borogu is my daily. Pretty much same as you described. Been enjoying the MeloMelo lately.