What's new

Dehydration

CatLover

I'm fairly new to kava, and I notice that kava has strong diuretic effects for me, even stronger than a cup of coffee. If I drink more than 1 or 2 cups, I get massively dehydrated and get a headache. If I drink it before bed, I end up waking up to go pee a couple times at night, interrupting my sleep. I've been limiting myself to one or two cups to avoid the dehydration headache, but there are times when I would like to drink more than that. I've been trying to drink plenty of water with it, but this makes my stomach feel really full, since I already had drank the kava. Using kava capsules at night instead of drinking kava seems to help with not having to get up to go pee a much, but I don't get the same effects from the capsules, and I often feel dehydrated the next morning. Does anyone else have this problem, and is there anything I can do about it?

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
@_byron has it right. You have to drink lots of water when you're consuming kava, there's really no way around it. I drink 5tbs of kava 3x wash in a total of about a liter-ish daily after my ADHD meds wear off (which also cause dehydration because they're stims) and as long as I drink water, Gatorade, etc i never get a headache or anything.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I'm fairly new to kava, and I notice that kava has strong diuretic effects for me, even stronger than a cup of coffee. If I drink more than 1 or 2 cups, I get massively dehydrated and get a headache. If I drink it before bed, I end up waking up to go pee a couple times at night, interrupting my sleep. I've been limiting myself to one or two cups to avoid the dehydration headache, but there are times when I would like to drink more than that. I've been trying to drink plenty of water with it, but this makes my stomach feel really full, since I already had drank the kava. Using kava capsules at night instead of drinking kava seems to help with not having to get up to go pee a much, but I don't get the same effects from the capsules, and I often feel dehydrated the next morning. Does anyone else have this problem, and is there anything I can do about it?
Make sure you ingest a sufficient amount of natural- i.e. unrefined, not man-made, salt every day.

Man made refined salt is pure body poison, and is the sole reason most people mistakenly think salt is actually bad.

Only the man made salt has negative effects on health.
And we need a lot more than the media etc dictates. At least 8 grams per day, but it must be unrefined to be of any use to the body, and not harmful, especially fir hydration.

Most imporrant thing our bodies need to survive? Water!

Water=useless without salt.
So salt AND water are equally vital for life, health and survival.

Our bodies are natural.
Salt is natural. It has a unique structure, and array of trace minerals.

Man made salt is stripped 100% of minerals and nutrients, effectively destroyed, restructured and fitted into a new package.

It is imposdible to adequately hydrate without natural unrefined salt, let alone everything else about it.

I strongly recommend Redmond Real Salt.

Pink Himalayan also except Himalayan salt varies in quality, depending on mining methods and location.

It is probably the case that you are permanently, chronically dehydrated, possibly for years.

If you could make a few adaptations and hydrate your body more sufficiently, and learn to keep it that way, you may be able to tolerate more kava without the dehydration symptoms and headache.

CatLover

I strongly recommend Redmond Real Salt.

Pink Himalayan also except Himalayan salt varies in quality, depending on mining methods and location.
Wow, I never knew salt was so important. How do I take the salt? Just swallow it (in capsules or something), or do I just use it as a condiment?

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Wow, I never knew salt was so important. How do I take the salt? Just swallow it (in capsules or something), or do I just use it as a condiment?
Yes, they specific type of salt you intake is vital, not just in terms of it's sheer ability to facilitate proper hydration, but also that bad salt is why salt is linked to health conditions.

We need a lot of good, natural salt.

Me for example- my typical home cooks Diet includes no source of man-made salt at all most of the time so I simply add my own Redmond real salt to my meals basically everyday.

I weigh 10 grams of salt each day. Some days I have have a fair bit more but have not suffered any of the negative side effects which one would associate or expect with excessive salt consumption and this is actually backed up by historical evidence and facts about salt level consumption.

But again I must emphasise that the specific type of salt is what matters most of all.

So the foods I eat basically are virtually salt free so I just add this 10 g of salt to my one or two meals per day in whatever way it actually tastes way more delicious and enhances the flavour of the food far more than the cheapy table salt stuff trust me

I would also like to suggest you might look into the practice of drinking what they call "Sole".

This is a 26% maximum saturated natural salt and liquid solution you take a small amount of each morning which has a very powerful metabolic boosting and detoxification effect as well as facilitating much better hydration.

The sole is typically made with rocks of good quality Himalayan salt but can be made with any natural and untefineded salt however finally ground. Rocks are recommended where possible.

Last edited:

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Also, I promise you a fact- refined salt is highly acidifying to the body.

Natural, (untreated), unrefined salt is highly alkalising.

Disease states and hyper levels of acidity in the body are directly connected and vice versa when it comes to healing and staying well so in that sense simply the type of salt you consume can make a significant difference to your general constitutions strength at remaining Equilibrium and health and well-being.

kavaaa

Kavalier
I've found that pre-hydrating well throughout the day before I drink kava helps keep me from getting too dehydrated afterward.
What makes you so certain that your headache is from dehydration?
What kind of kava are you using?

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
It sounds like you're dehydrated all the time if kava pushes you over the edge so easily. Use the Who oral re hydration solution or salts as recommended above. Lots more water through the day. Start with three glasses first thing in the morning.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
It sounds like you're dehydrated all the time if kava pushes you over the edge so easily. Use the Who oral re hydration solution or salts as recommended above. Lots more water through the day. Start with three glasses first thing in the morning.
Reviving old thread:

I've been feeling dehydrated a lot lately and Gatorade is not hitting the spot. I'm going to stop by Kroger in a bit to get supplies to make some home made rehydration solution to see if it helps.
1 Quart of Water
1/2 teaspoon of salt
6 teaspoons of sugar
(optional) 1/2 teaspoon of lite salt (potassium chloride)

I also feel like its is worse when I drink my watered down 1 gallon of water to 4tbs kava powder. I think the diuretic properties flush out all my electrolytes with that much fluid. I might just stick to to my usual 4-6 tablespoons per 16-24 ounces of water.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Reviving old thread:

I've been feeling dehydrated a lot lately and Gatorade is not hitting the spot. I'm going to stop by Kroger in a bit to get supplies to make some home made rehydration solution to see if it helps.
1 Quart of Water
1/2 teaspoon of salt
6 teaspoons of sugar

I also feel like its is worse when I drink my watered down 1 gallon of water to 4tbs kava powder. I think the diuretic properties flush out all my electrolytes with that much fluid. I might just stick to to my usual 4-6 tablespoons per 16-24 ounces of water.
If you really wish to achieve adequate natural unrefined salt, not man made refined.

Redmond real salt is my top rec.

Pink Himalayan is excellent too, however it is mined from so many different mines and some of it is vastly inferior.

Bht without using the right form, natural,unrefined dalt, you will never be able to properly hydrate your body.

Also look into "sole", pronounced- solay, for sun. A very hydrating practice and so much more.

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
I like some of those electrolyte drinks, they seem to help. I get dermo pretty bad and need to apply a salve to stop myself getting serious irritation. But also, over time kava seems to make me urinate less and my body can tolerate more of it without getting as dehydrated.

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
Fish oil- coconut oil- Coconut water or hydration drink. I love to take coocnut oil with my final shell on a empty stomach the saturated fat gives me one last great boost

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Reviving old thread:

1 Quart of Water
1/2 teaspoon of salt
6 teaspoons of sugar

If that doesn't work out for you, I've recently been using premade packets off Amazon by the name of Drip Drop. They use the same World Health Organization formula and add a little flavoring.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
@AlexisReal
I saw this on JRE and thought about you :p

Thanks for sparing me a well meaning thought mate. Just before I watchnit next, tombe clear, we actually stopped usimg himalayan salt a few years back, in place of Redmond Real Salt, afrer I discovered by testing multiple samples and by reading- not all Himalayan is equal quality and efficacy for the body, depending on mining location and technuiqe, with much coming from inferior Pakistan mines.

Redmond Real Salt is like the very best Himalayan salt, consistently.

Thanks mate, gonna listen to that now.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
@AlexisReal
I saw this on JRE and thought about you :p

Haha, I jumped the gun- Redmond! Which he suggests and I use. But in my case for different reasons and after having multiple Himalayan salts tested.

I believe there is good, clean, pure Himalayan out there. It's just so hit and miss, is all.

But Redmond is class.

The pink in Himalayan is it's high natural iron content.

No pink in Redmond,,but a gray gritty sand. Which is silica! Amazing mineral for the skin and connective tissue.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
@Jacob Bula Just to add, several years back, I was getting a top top quality Himalayan Salt from an Essex Geezer lol.

It tested, by reliable measures, as best of the best. Taste was amazing too.

But he suddenly ceased the business, on his own words account "there's a lot of crap out there."

Hence my brief study into alternatives.

I ruled out Celtic for still arguably not being totally pure.

Modern sea salt is surely the most polluted?

We have it, gray and unrefined, for cooking pasta etc.

I was always under the impression, decades back, that himalayan salts oringinated from pretty pure seas, and had a special crystal quality from being chrged by sunshine after sea evaporation.

But as I suggested, vastly variable in quality depending on exact mining location and method. It's so pot luck.

I had quite a few, allegedly legit, pink Himalayan sorces tested. The majority tested as somewhat aggravating to my body, a few shined as being very good.

But I always put that down to high variability in mineral composition, rather than pollution.

Redmond tested on par with the very best Pink Himalayan.

We also have dead sea salt, which is for bathing in essentially.

Interestingly and I can't remember the exact order but depending on the waxing or full moon, bathing in healthy salt- one moon draws toxins out the body....the other you absorb the minerals.

Proper Indian originned Ghee, Ayurveda recommends making on a full moon too.