What's new

Frustrated Rant!!!!!

Blackice71

Kava Curious
I thought I was making a healthy change by exchanging my 40+ beers a week with nightly kava and diet green tea. First blood work came back and my ALT liver enzyme was 58 , up from 48 and I have gained 4 pounds. I don't get it. Not drinking the beer and counting calories I am consuming 600 less calories per day. I might as well just go back to beer. :-(

Sorry for the rant

Rick

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I thought I was making a healthy change by exchanging my 40+ beers a week with nightly kava and diet green tea. First blood work came back and my ALT liver enzyme was 58 , up from 48 and I have gained 4 pounds. I don't get it. Not drinking the beer and counting calories I am consuming 600 less calories per day. I might as well just go back to beer. :-(

Sorry for the rant

Rick
Aren't normal ALT readings somewhere in the 40-65 range? Also, how long have you been at this?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
They say the upper end of normal is 40.....some sources say 55. I've been without alcohol and using kava for about 2 months.
Here's my metabolic results.
liver.png

I was obviously mistaken on my range. You may have something else going on, as very few people record bad lab results due to kava. If you haven't, I would go over that with my doctor. They may even say it's nothing to worry about, but you can never be too sure.

Not on any prescriptions?

Blackice71

Kava Curious
Here's my metabolic results.
View attachment 10698

I was obviously mistaken on my range. You may have something else going on, as very few people record bad lab results due to kava. If you haven't, I would go over that with my doctor. They may even say it's nothing to worry about, but you can never be too sure.

Not on any prescriptions?
No prescriptions that are different from when I had previous blood work. I am a cancer patient as well. Been 5 months past any chemo and am just under surveillance for now, hence the frequent blood work. Thanks for responding.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
No prescriptions that are different from when I had previous blood work. I am a cancer patient as well. Been 5 months past any chemo and am just under surveillance for now, hence the frequent blood work. Thanks for responding.
Totally understand. Yep, I'd check with your doc about that. I threw a bad metabolic test once, and it was because I had been given a number of iv antibiotics and steroids in the hospital. Still not 100% sure it wasn't covid, but the doctor said it was vaping disease.

Here's what that one looked like. Gave me a scare, but I drank kava the entire duration from this test to the one above, and everything was okay, so it was definitely the drugs they gave me at the hospital.

badliver.png

Blackice71

Kava Curious
Totally understand. Yep, I'd check with your doc about that. I threw a bad metabolic test once, and it was because I had been given a number of iv antibiotics and steroids in the hospital. Still not 100% sure it wasn't covid, but the doctor said it was vaping disease.

Here's what that one looked like. Gave me a scare, but I drank kava the entire duration from this test to the one above, and everything was okay, so it was definitely the drugs they gave me at the hospital.

View attachment 10699
Thanks again. Oddly my white blood cell count is slightly low as well. I really hate getting these tests every 3 months.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Any changes in your diet? How do you prepare your kava and what kind are you using? Probably a silly question but some people mix instant/micro with sugary stuff

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Mixing it with diet green tea. Its Kalm with Kava instant.
I think your liver results are likely unrelated to kava. Still, mixing micronised kava with green tea might not be the best combo. We know that some green tea extracts have been implicated in very rare instances of liver issues. Possibly mixing green tea extract with strong kava could be a bit taxing on the liver?

As for your weight gain, it can't possibly be explained by kava alone. No way a cup of kava can create more weight gain than 40 beers.

Blackice71

Kava Curious
I think your liver results are likely unrelated to kava. Still, mixing micronised kava with green tea might not be the best combo. We know that some green tea extracts have been implicated in very rare instances of liver issues. Possibly mixing green tea extract with strong kava could be a bit taxing on the liver?

As for your weight gain, it can't possibly be explained by kava alone. No way a cup of kava can create more weight gain than 40 beers.
Thank you.