What's new

*New Members* Say hello Sort of new to Kava (come say hello!)

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
Hello!
So I've never partaken in the traditional beverage but I very much want to. Up until now all I've had are these 400mg Capsules that I got from Sprouts and a while a back a tincture as well.
I wanted to join so I could get more information on how to properly introduce myself to the Kava in its traditional form as well as make an inquiry about the capsules I occasionally use.
But anywho, hello! I look forward to learning a lot!
Fushi

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello!
So I've never partaken in the traditional beverage but I very much want to. Up until now all I've had are these 400mg Capsules that I got from Sprouts and a while a back a tincture as well.
I wanted to join so I could get more information on how to properly introduce myself to the Kava in its traditional form as well as make an inquiry about the capsules I occasionally use.
But anywho, hello! I look forward to learning a lot!
Fushi
Welcome! You're starting out exactly how I did in the beginning. It was gaia herbs that I was using until one day I took 3 at once and noticed a little something "extra".

I highly suggest trying instant kavas first to get your feet wet. Bula kava house has a great instant, as well as Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. Nakamal At Home's fire island instant is no joke either, and highly recommended.

If you want to just jump straight in I suggest a sample pack from kalm with kava. It comes with 3 different types of medium grind kava and a strainer bag. It will give you direction on which type of kava works best for you.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome! You're starting out exactly how I did in the beginning. It was gaia herbs that I was using until one day I took 3 at once and noticed a little something "extra".

I highly suggest trying instant kavas first to get your feet wet. Bula kava house has a great instant, as well as Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. Nakamal At Home's fire island instant is no joke either, and highly recommended.

If you want to just jump straight in I suggest a sample pack from kalm with kava. It comes with 3 different types of medium grind kava and a strainer bag. It will give you direction on which type of kava works best for you.
Ah! Thank you! I'm going to look into that right now! I appreciate the warm welcome and info right off the bat!

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
I went with the Bula Kava House instant Kava...
Question, should I try this on an empty stomach or after I've had something to eat. ?
and I take .5mg ativan for panic attacks sometimes. Should I for some reason feel anxious after I've drank the Kava what's an appropriate amount of time to wait (if you have any idea lol) before taking one?
Thank you again for the recommendations and the information!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Question, should I try this on an empty stomach or after I've had something to eat. ?
and I take .5mg ativan for panic attacks sometimes. Should I for some reason feel anxious after I've drank the Kava what's an appropriate amount of time to wait (if you have any idea lol) before taking one?
Hi there and welcome again, I don't think you are going to feel anxious, take it from someone with similar issues. If it happens, try to wait an hour before taking one.

Oh and definitely empty stomach.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
First of all a big welcome but secondly I would say that the instant you've got might be too heady for you if you are worried about anxiety. I don't really have a problem with anxiety but heady kavas always make me feel quite uncomfortable and I have had other people say the same. By all means give it a go, now you've ordered it. Everyone is different so you may respond well. I think you might get on better with a heavy kava like Hiwa from GHK which is usually available in instant too. Or the fire island from Nakamal at Home.

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome Fushi, follow the Good Kapm's and everyone else's advice and you will soon experience the tranquility and peace that kava brings...Personally I've had good lick with Squanch Kava, and if you're budget minded, Best Fiji Kava-

Troll through the newcomer's forums as well, tons of great info. there.

Bula!

Dave/Kavacus.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
First of all a big welcome but secondly I would say that the instant you've got might be too heady for you if you are worried about anxiety. I don't really have a problem with anxiety but heady kavas always make me feel quite uncomfortable and I have had other people say the same. By all means give it a go, now you've ordered it. Everyone is different so you may respond well. I think you might get on better with a heavy kava like Hiwa from GHK which is usually available in instant too. Or the fire island from Nakamal at Home.
Should I maybe try a weaker/smaller dose than normal?

TJrriffic

Porkchop Express Driver
Welcome! Traditional prep is king for me. Instant is good but pricey when compared to the yield of traditional prep. I found that going this route (and I also have the aluball" got me to the effects I was looking for. Just keep at it. Its def not a thing you imbibe that "does" something to you. Gotta be listening to the kava. Be in a relaxing situation when you're drinking kava. Like I am now on a kava call. Bula!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Should I maybe try a weaker/smaller dose than normal?
You're going to need a decent dose in order to start feeling it. Definitely don't be afraid of it, give it a good go, it will more than likely be a pleasant experience in any case. Lots of people get on fine with headier kavas. I just wanted to let you know that there is a possibility that you may find it a bit edgy. Try 2 to 3 teaspoons in 200ml of water to start with and repeat that a few times spacing it out by 30 to 60 minutes. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on with it.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
You're going to need a decent dose in order to start feeling it. Definitely don't be afraid of it, give it a good go, it will more than likely be a pleasant experience in any case. Lots of people get on fine with headier kavas. I just wanted to let you know that there is a possibility that you may find it a bit edgy. Try 2 to 3 teaspoons in 200ml of water to start with and repeat that a few times spacing it out by 30 to 60 minutes. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on with it.
Well I did 1tsp and I can feel it for sure. My lips are nice and numb, my body feels relaxed. I'm a tad bit wabbly but nothing intense, like, just fall into the couch instead of gently landing.
For the past few days I've taken the 400mg capsule...could that be why im feeling it at 1 tsp?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
For the past few days I've taken the 400mg capsule...could that be why im feeling it at 1 tsp?
Yep. You've been bumping up the level of kavalactones up in your system which likely removed any sort of initial tolerance you may experience :)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Well I did 1tsp and I can feel it for sure. My lips are nice and numb, my body feels relaxed. I'm a tad bit wabbly but nothing intense, like, just fall into the couch instead of gently landing.
Yes, if you've had some kavalactones recently then it's going to help. See how you feel as it's wearing off.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Alaso, I took a hot shower halfway through, finished in the shower. Delightfully pleasant shower.
Everything is a little bit nicer and easier with a little kava down the hatch, instant is the best. Not cost effective but great for occasional use.

Squanch was good advice, it packs a punch, easily the strongest waka on the market, goes a long way too, you can get 2-3 good washes out of it.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
I'm finishing my second cup, another 1 tsp, and i feel like I'm coasting if that makes since. Perfectly peaceful and relaxed. I think any unsteadiness at the beginning was just my anxiety trying to claw its way to the surface out of uncertainty. Once I let that go I've been in a good place.
Is there a certain ideal amount I should do? In terms of cups?
But all in all this is wonderful, thank you all for the comments, suggestions, and overall positive vibes :)

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
Everything is a little bit nicer and easier with a little kava down the hatch, instant is the best. Not cost effective but great for occasional use.

Squanch was good advice, it packs a punch, easily the strongest waka on the market, goes a long way too, you can get 2-3 good washes out of it.
Is getting multiple "washes" like getting multiple brews out of a high quality loose leaf tea?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Is getting multiple "washes" like getting multiple brews out of a high quality loose leaf tea?
Yes I suppose it's similar. With kava you have an amount, let's say 4-6 tbs of powder inside a nut milk bag, preferably 75-100 micron and you massage the kava inside a bowl of water with around 500ml of water, The first wash is the strongest and subsequent washes becomes weaker. Some kavas go further than others.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Is there a certain ideal amount I should do? In terms of cups?
But all in all this is wonderful, thank you all for the comments, suggestions, and overall positive vibes :)
Whatever amount makes you the happiest, kava has a way of letting you know when enough is enough but at worst you get a little wobbly and may have to lay down, which is not a bad thing either..lol

Start with one wash, wait 20 minutes between servings and go from there.