What's new

Kava Fact of the Day Map of Kava Origins (Lebot, 1989)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Map of kava origins.

Today’s fact of the day is a simple figure, but this figure contains quite a wealth of information. This image represents the area of distribution of Piper wichmannii (Wild Kava) and Piper methysticum (drinking kava). It’s been thought that the kava that we enjoy originated from cultivation and propagation efforts in the Northern islands of Vanuatu, as shown by the map marker. One update to this map since it's creation is that the Solomons are marked as "never has been recorded". This is incorrect as of today. Kava cultivation is happening in the Solomon Islands.

figure6.jpg

Lebot, V., and J. Lèvesque. “THE ORIGIN AND DISTRIBUTION OF KAVA (PIPER METHYSTICUM FORST. F., PIPERACEAE): A PHYTOCHEMICAL APPROACH.” Allertonia, vol. 5, no. 2, 1989, pp. 223–281. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/23187398. Accessed 22 Feb. 2021.

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Map of kava origins.

Today’s fact of the day is a simple figure, but this figure contains quite a wealth of information. This image represents the area of distribution of Piper wichmannii (Wild Kava) and Piper methysticum (drinking kava). It’s been thought that the kava that we enjoy originated from cultivation and propagation efforts in the Northern islands of Vanuatu, as shown by the map marker. One update to this map since it's creation is that the Solomons are marked as "never has been recorded". This is incorrect as of today. Kava cultivation is happening in the Solomon Islands.

Lebot, V., and J. Lèvesque. “THE ORIGIN AND DISTRIBUTION OF KAVA (PIPER METHYSTICUM FORST. F., PIPERACEAE): A PHYTOCHEMICAL APPROACH.” Allertonia, vol. 5, no. 2, 1989, pp. 223–281. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/23187398. Accessed 22 Feb. 2021.
All Kava Forums Members must make the journey, at least once in our lives, to the kavic garden of eden, the islands where kava first sprouted.

Aloha Kava

Aloha Kava Guy
Kava Vendor
Map of kava origins.

I was literally thinking about this today and came to the forums to ask! So do we know if drinking kava definitively originated in Vanuatu? It would be very cool to see a well illustrated, detailed map showing dates and with small tidbits of information, so we could see how kava traveled through the Pacific over time.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I was literally thinking about this today and came to the forums to ask! So do we know if drinking kava definitively originated in Vanuatu? It would be very cool to see a well illustrated, detailed map showing dates and with small tidbits of information, so we could see how kava traveled through the Pacific over time.
From what the studies say, yes, it's accepted that the origination of Piper Methysticum was somewhere around the northern Islands of Vanuatu. That figure represents a rather large amount of textual knowledge. I highly suggest reading Lebot's old research about the origination of kava. It's quite interesting.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
One update to this map since it's creation is that the Solomons are marked as "never has been recorded". This is incorrect as of today. Kava cultivation is happening in the Solomon Islands.
Also, Hawai'i is marked as "has been cultivated", whereas there is cultivation today.

Fascinating map nonetheless. Thanks Kapm! I wish I could visit all those islands, or at least drink a kava strain from every place on this map...

All Kava Forums Members must make the journey, at least once in our lives, to the kavic garden of eden, the islands where kava first sprouted.
That's one of my dreams... ::kavaleaf::

Last edited: