What's new

So aluball isn't doing anything

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Hey fellas, so I've been using the alu ball for about a week now and I've been trying to put about a tablespoon and a half in each ball and then I load my shaker with two of the alu balls. no matter what I do though, I just can't seem to feel any of the effects of kava and I know what they feel like when you catch a good buzz from it because I used to do it much more than I do now and it used to use micronized as well as old-fashioned root for making grog.

So I don't know what to do now, because I have two of the alu balls, but since they're not working I guess I might just have to go back to traditional prep or spring for micronized but I don't really want to do that cuz I can't afford a micronized regimen I don't think. Any tips?

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
Hmmm, try a longer shake time? Iususally do three washes, First 30 seconds, Second 45, and third 1 mintues + . I also use inscreasingly warmer water, less water. I haven't gone past 140 degrees as far as temp goes.
But I've come to terms that even though it might not be as potent, savin' them makas after the second wash or third and putting them in the freezer means I'll have something tasty to drink after a few days when I put them in the blender :)

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
Hey fellas, so I've been using the alu ball for about a week now and I've been trying to put about a tablespoon and a half in each ball and then I load my shaker with two of the alu balls. no matter what I do though, I just can't seem to feel any of the effects of kava and I know what they feel like when you catch a good buzz from it because I used to do it much more than I do now and it used to use micronized as well as old-fashioned root for making grog.

So I don't know what to do now, because I have two of the alu balls, but since they're not working I guess I might just have to go back to traditional prep or spring for micronized but I don't really want to do that cuz I can't afford a micronized regimen I don't think. Any tips?
Maybe its the Kava?

Im not big on using the Aluball because I usually just make big batches of Kava.

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
I use the Aluball a lot. But it requires some violent shaking. I only use one ball and get great results. It sounds like a contradiction, but I've learned to use a finer ground medium grind kava. Good luck.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Hmmm, try a longer shake time? Iususally do three washes, First 30 seconds, Second 45, and third 1 mintues + . I also use inscreasingly warmer water, less water. I haven't gone past 140 degrees as far as temp goes.
But I've come to terms that even though it might not be as potent, savin' them makas after the second wash or third and putting them in the freezer means I'll have something tasty to drink after a few days when I put them in the blender :)
I'm using nothing it cold liquid... Maybe I need it to be slightly warmer? The brand is called Kisa's kava. Maybe I need the water to be warmer but I'll save the makas.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Throw them out. Kidding, but in my opinion they are inferior in just about every way compared to traditional prep. Low quality materials (the plastic for the cup is notorious for shedding and the balls break easily) low extraction rate, expensive, and really not terribly convenient because you have to load just the right amount of kava or it won’t be functional, and don’t forget it has to be a certain fine grind of kava to work well. You really have to have two balls to get any sort of potency to your grog, and that just drives the price up again. The one advantage is portability. It is convenient and less messy to have your aluballs preloaded and stuffed in your backpack or something, but even then you can presqueeze a thermos of kava. I will even bring a prep bowl in the car if I’m going to spend a day in the woods or something. On paper it seems like a nice idea but they really don’t deliver. This is me being brutally honest and nothing against Kavafied, I love their root and buy it often.

What I don’t get is how some people are totally against traditional prep in any situation. I get the aluball “on the go” concept, but I have seen so many people who won’t even give traditional prep a shot for leisure shelling at home. I guess they’re afraid to use their hands for prep? I like the process, similarly to how I enjoy working with clay. It’s relaxing. And it really only takes as long as you want it to- I can whip up a first wash that could be two or three shells in 2 minutes flat from start to finish.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
I use room temp water and I like to shake for like 3-5 min. I would also reccomend getting some kava from vendors that participate here on kavaforums- it should get you better results than what you've already got.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Throw them out. Kidding, but in my opinion they are inferior in just about every way compared to traditional prep. Low quality materials (the plastic for the cup is notorious for shedding and the balls break easily) low extraction rate, expensive, and really not terribly convenient because you have to load just the right amount of kava or it won’t be functional, and don’t forget it has to be a certain fine grind of kava to work well. You really have to have two balls to get any sort of potency to your grog, and that just drives the price up again. The one advantage is portability. It is convenient and less messy to have your aluballs preloaded and stuffed in your backpack or something, but even then you can presqueeze a thermos of kava. I will even bring a prep bowl in the car if I’m going to spend a day in the woods or something. On paper it seems like a nice idea but they really don’t deliver. This is me being brutally honest and nothing against Kavafied, I love their root and buy it often.

What I don’t get is how some people are totally against traditional prep in any situation. I get the aluball “on the go” concept, but I have seen so many people who won’t even give traditional prep a shot for leisure shelling at home. I guess they’re afraid to use their hands for prep? I like the process, similarly to how I enjoy working with clay. It’s relaxing. And it really only takes as long as you want it to- I can whip up a first wash that could be two or three shells in 2 minutes flat from start to finish.
See I have nothing against traditional prep but I was always under the impression that you had to take 30 minutes out of your day to do it...
If there was just a way I could do traditional prep in a quicker fashion I would honestly never use the balls again. I agree. They really suck. I'm sorry, but they just do.

How can I make my traditional grog pero quick while having I still be effective?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
See I have nothing against traditional prep but I was always under the impression that you had to take 30 minutes out of your day to do it...
If there was just a way I could do traditional prep in a quicker fashion I would honestly never use the balls again. I agree. They really suck. I'm sorry, but they just do.

How can I make my traditional grog pero quick while having I still be effective?
I'm trying out a new portable blender bottle today. Stronger motor, more RPMs.

I'll let you know how it goes over the next few days.

Edit: Specifically this one
Amazon product

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe its the Kava?

Im not big on using the Aluball because I usually just make big batches of Kava.
What would be the quickest way to do traditional prep? Let's say I just decided to stop using alu ball, but I couldn't spend 20 minutes a day doing traditional prep...

Can you get it done in 10 if you know what you're doing?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
What would be the quickest way to do traditional prep? Let's say I just decided to stop using alu ball, but I couldn't spend 20 minutes a day doing traditional prep...

I did it last night. You still need a strainer bag, but I was successfully able to make a brew of equal strength of my other mixer with this new one in 60 seconds. One "canoe" method, and a final squeeze. Total time maybe 5-7 minutes. I'm going to continue this to be sure I'm getting the same same or more out of my kava for at least a week.

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
I did it last night. You still need a strainer bag, but I was successfully able to make a brew of equal strength of my other mixer with this new one in 60 seconds. One "canoe" method, and a final squeeze. Total time maybe 5-7 minutes. I'm going to continue this to be sure I'm getting the same same or more out of my kava for at least a week.
Cool! Anyway you could explain it a little more to me in detail? I do have a strainer bag and I do have a blender, but that's about it for the time being. I have some boroguru from, so I know that the actual root is good stuff.

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor

Traditional prep doesn't take 20min.. It should take less than 10.. People say to knead Kava up to 10mins and its not wrong but it also isn't necessary..

Pour kava into strainer bag, add water and knead kava in large bowl or bucket of some sort for about five mins.. Now the kneading process isn't just about squeezing the hell out if the kava! Massage the kava and play with it while in the water.. From time to time give it a good hard squeeze and then continue to knead.. On the final squeeze be sure to get as much of the water out of the Kava & strainer as possible..
Throw away the remains and rinse the strainer bag thoroughly...
Now at this point some Kava Drinkers will call it good and begin to drink, but if you like your Kava clean like I do you will do one more strain.. Over another large bowl or bucket of some sort place the well rinsed strainer over the bowl and pour the Kava from the previous bowl through the strainer into the new bowl... Squeeze Kava through the strainer till it is all through.. You will see more remains of the Kava in the second strain once all the Kava has passed through..
rinse the strainer, grab a scooper, grab a cup and Bula!

This process shouldn't take more than 10mins maybe less!
Yes several others prefer the kneading and squeezing process to be a lot longer but to me its unnecessary.. Ive tried both and seem to get the same results.

Hope this helps!

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Pour water in the bowl, pour kava in the strainer, knead for 2-3 minutes, chug, go back to what you were doing. Then when you’re ready for round two, repeat the process to use up the leftover goodies in the strainer, also known as the “second wash”

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Pour water in the bowl, pour kava in the strainer, knead for 2-3 minutes, chug, go back to what you were doing. Then when you’re ready for round two, repeat the process to use up the leftover goodies in the strainer, also known as the “second wash”
Should I make the water hot or can I do it with cold or room temp liquid?

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Traditional prep doesn't take 20min.. It should take less than 10.. People say to knead Kava up to 10mins and its not wrong but it also isn't necessary..

Pour kava into strainer bag, add water and knead kava in large bowl or bucket of some sort for about five mins.. Now the kneading process isn't just about squeezing the hell out if the kava! Massage the kava and play with it while in the water.. From time to time give it a good hard squeeze and then continue to knead.. On the final squeeze be sure to get as much of the water out of the Kava & strainer as possible..
Throw away the remains and rinse the strainer bag thoroughly...
Now at this point some Kava Drinkers will call it good and begin to drink, but if you like your Kava clean like I do you will do one more strain.. Over another large bowl or bucket of some sort place the well rinsed strainer over the bowl and pour the Kava from the previous bowl through the strainer into the new bowl... Squeeze Kava through the strainer till it is all through.. You will see more remains of the Kava in the second strain once all the Kava has passed through..
rinse the strainer, grab a scooper, grab a cup and Bula!

This process shouldn't take more than 10mins maybe less!
Yes several others prefer the kneading and squeezing process to be a lot longer but to me its unnecessary.. Ive tried both and seem to get the same results.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! Do you use warm liquid or is cold ok?

ThePiper

Kava Lover
warm water extracts a bit more kavalactones, but I usually use cool to room temp water (what comes out of my sink on the cold setting) but sometimes I will use warm water. it does affect the taste though. to start if you want abundant instruction I would use 2 cups of water in the bowl, 3 tablespoons of kava in the strainer, knead by rolling between your fingers and squeezing the wad of kava intermittently for about 3-5 minutes, depending on how vigorous you are. If the liquid looks like whole chocolate milk, you're either done or close to done. The liquid should not look thin and cloudy, it should be opaque. Again, after drinking that 2 cups of you made, repeat this process using the same root material in the strainer.