What's new

Kava Physiology Dream inspiring cultivars

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Bula.

I am posting im the mindfulness and spirituality thread rather than a specific vendor since I wish to compare and contrast a few cultivars for the quality of giving me vivid dreams.

Squanch kava has long been known for many root juice enthusiasts to have an interesting effect on dreams. I have noticed, I get Squanch dream influences sometimes too.

Best Fiji's AAA Vanuatu changed my view on this. I knew that a well-prepared 'Awa Hiwa can throw me into a dream lesson during sleep. I am also familiar with having a close relationship with my dreams when no kava is consumed. I'm a dreamer, you may say, I am an individual who uses the dreamscape to explore my fears and organize my beliefs.

The Vanuatu from BestFiji has been the main contributor in me having intense and surreal, memorable dream images at least five times now. When I don't have that kava, say if I have their Lawena, the bulk from these guys, or even the Borogu from Kalm with Kava, I notice this phemonena minimally.

This last root selection, the Borogu, is also a Ni-Vanuatu cultivar, correct me if I am inaccurate, I believe it comes from the island of Pentecost. Has a black pepper flavor. Held in one hand with squanch waka in the other, feels like holding coarse fresh ground spices in the Borogu hand and soft velvety ash in the Squanch hand. The Borogu does not seem to affect what I experience between going to sleep and rising, save for some excellent quality sleep that I do my best to have.

The AAA Vanuatu is responsible for my dream theme featuring a segment of uncontrolled acceleration on three nights. One being a vehicle going down a snowy hill and me ducking and feeling adrenalines. Another, in a tree stand, a tower of the trees during a windstorm, and bending closer to the edge of an icy, rocky cliff.

I am not trying to interpret these messages, what is outstanding to me is that the dreams do not seem to be coming from Vanuatu or Tonga or Fiji, centuries ago. They seem to be personal and relevant to my life style today.

If I stretch out the Vanuatu with a little bulk root, the effect may be lessened, but it is still present, the specific batch of this cultivar of kava has some funky qualities to it and I thought I would share and open discussion,

Do you have a cultivar of kava root which you feel is dream influencing?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Bula.

I am posting im the mindfulness and spirituality thread rather than a specific vendor since I wish to compare and contrast a few cultivars for the quality of giving me vivid dreams.

Squanch kava has long been known for many root juice enthusiasts to have an interesting effect on dreams. I have noticed, I get Squanch dream influences sometimes too.

Best Fiji's AAA Vanuatu changed my view on this. I knew that a well-prepared 'Awa Hiwa can throw me into a dream lesson during sleep. I am also familiar with having a close relationship with my dreams when no kava is consumed. I'm a dreamer, you may say, I am an individual who uses the dreamscape to explore my fears and organize my beliefs.

The Vanuatu from BestFiji has been the main contributor in me having intense and surreal, memorable dream images at least five times now. When I don't have that kava, say if I have their Lawena, the bulk from these guys, or even the Borogu from Kalm with Kava, I notice this phemonena minimally.

This last root selection, the Borogu, is also a Ni-Vanuatu cultivar, correct me if I am inaccurate, I believe it comes from the island of Pentecost. Has a black pepper flavor. Held in one hand with squanch waka in the other, feels like holding coarse fresh ground spices in the Borogu hand and soft velvety ash in the Squanch hand. The Borogu does not seem to affect what I experience between going to sleep and rising, save for some excellent quality sleep that I do my best to have.

The AAA Vanuatu is responsible for my dream theme featuring a segment of uncontrolled acceleration on three nights. One being a vehicle going down a snowy hill and me ducking and feeling adrenalines. Another, in a tree stand, a tower of the trees during a windstorm, and bending closer to the edge of an icy, rocky cliff.

I am not trying to interpret these messages, what is outstanding to me is that the dreams do not seem to be coming from Vanuatu or Tonga or Fiji, centuries ago. They seem to be personal and relevant to my life style today.

If I stretch out the Vanuatu with a little bulk root, the effect may be lessened, but it is still present, the specific batch of this cultivar of kava has some funky qualities to it and I thought I would share and open discussion,

Do you have a cultivar of kava root which you feel is dream influencing?
Hawaiian unique cultivar-- Hanakapi'ai is known to inspire vivid dreams.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting. Hanakapi'ai was very good when I tried it, thank you for bringing about my memory of that Hawaiian cultivar. An intentional break from Yaqona sounds like something I can try, how long does it usually take for the dreams to start up? a few days? for me it seems to remain constant except for when I drink the unique cultivars.

Bula.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Interesting. Hanakapi'ai was very good when I tried it, thank you for bringing about my memory of that Hawaiian cultivar. An intentional break from Yaqona sounds like something I can try, how long does it usually take for the dreams to start up? a few days? for me it seems to remain constant except for when I drink the unique cultivars.

Bula.
For me it's the first night I stop. It's like my brain is begging for REM.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor

Bula.
I find that I get the dreams for the first 2 or 3 weeks back after a break. Once I've been drinking kava for more than that the dreams tend to stop. I haven't got a good explanation for this, just passing on my experience.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
There are also other herbs that can induce vivid dreams and can help you remember them. I use Mugwort regularly and it's pretty effective. Other herbs include Calea Zacatechichi and Silene Capensis though i've read these can have more side effects than Mugwort.

There are also other herbs that can induce vivid dreams and can help you remember them. I use Mugwort regularly and it's pretty effective. Other herbs include Calea Zacatechichi and Silene Capensis though i've read these can have more side effects than Mugwort.
Try Huperzine A

jonaspmd

found kava
Interest in dream recall is one step to lucid dreaming (LD) world. If that is the case then this source has become sort of a legend in LD community. It's an account of a single person, so you should not assume that this level is achievable by everyone. Due personal neurochemistry balance, everyone experiences dreams differently.

When it comes to kava and dreams, from my experience the only thing I can say that it is complex, but kava is not the best supplement for LD. As oneironauts would say, even though it does increases dream vividness (if you do not overdo it), but self awareness in dreams is low, so difficult achieve full dream control, ie you go with the story as opposed to influencing it. The description of the neurochemistry and how different supplements influence it is great in that book. Mugwort is a great safe herb to start experimenting with.

Attachments

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Interest in dream recall is one step to lucid dreaming (LD) world. If that is the case then this source has become sort of a legend in LD community. It's an account of a single person, so you should not assume that this level is achievable by everyone. Due personal neurochemistry balance, everyone experiences dreams differently.

When it comes to kava and dreams, from my experience the only thing I can say that it is complex, but kava is not the best supplement for LD. As oneironauts would say, even though it does increases dream vividness (if you do not overdo it), but self awareness in dreams is low, so difficult achieve full dream control, ie you go with the story as opposed to influencing it. The description of the neurochemistry and how different supplements influence it is great in that book. Mugwort is a great safe herb to start experimenting with.
Ahhh it has probably been 25 years since I actively practiced lucid dreaming. I got many of the hints and tips from a usenet group if that helps date it. Loads of fun since I always found the exhilaration of flying or "bounce" jumping in a dream to be incredibly freeing. Of course at that age I also used it for let say some other pleasurable activities ::evillaugh2::. Can't say kava has ever given me better, or enhanced dreaming. It is more likely when dialed in right to make me pass out had and not remember a thing or wake up at all at night. So little chance of the me remembering my REM states.....

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I find it that pretty much any kava helps me to dream better, I think the heavier ones do a better job at putting me in that dream/sleep better vibe. I think the Vanu's and Solomon kavas are the best for this.

jonaspmd

found kava
Ahhh it has probably been 25 years since I actively practiced lucid dreaming. I got many of the hints and tips from a usenet group if that helps date it. Loads of fun since I always found the exhilaration of flying or "bounce" jumping in a dream to be incredibly freeing. Of course at that age I also used it for let say some other pleasurable activities ::evillaugh2::. Can't say kava has ever given me better, or enhanced dreaming. It is more likely when dialed in right to make me pass out had and not remember a thing or wake up at all at night. So little chance of the me remembering my REM states.....
There is a whole new world for all sorts of "activities" out there every night, 30% of our life time, like contemplating the meaning of life for example ::innocent2:: I think kava does something to deep sleep, ie deprives of it if you chronically overdo it. Hence the lethargy next day. If the deep sleep phase is not sufficient, then REM phase is also disrupted. The dreams are there, but sleep is vey superficial, so even if you become self aware, you wake up quickly. But all this is very variable from person to person.

jonaspmd

found kava
I find it that pretty much any kava helps me to dream better, I think the heavier ones do a better job at putting me in that dream/sleep better vibe. I think the Vanu's and Solomon kavas are the best for this.
I was never into pure heavy kavas, so maybe lack that experience, but kavas that have stimulating effect, definitely disrupt sleep for me. No one else to blame, but myself for wrong choice/timing ::chugger:: But that is a learnt lesson now

Jacob Bula

Nobody
There is a whole new world for all sorts of "activities" out there every night, 30% of our life time, like contemplating the meaning of life for example ::innocent2:: I think kava does something to deep sleep, ie deprives of it if you chronically overdo it. Hence the lethargy next day. If the deep sleep phase is not sufficient, then REM phase is also disrupted. The dreams are there, but sleep is vey superficial, so even if you become self aware, you wake up quickly. But all this is very variable from person to person.
I'm going to test this as soon as I can afford a sleep tracker. 2 weeks day shift sleep, 2 weeks night shift with no kava. Then 2 weeks day shift 2 weeks night shift with kava, and see how it effects REM. I've been enjoying kava a lot, but my sleep has been really shitty on night shifts this year...

jonaspmd

found kava
I'm going to test this as soon as I can afford a sleep tracker. 2 weeks day shift sleep, 2 weeks night shift with no kava. Then 2 weeks day shift 2 weeks night shift with kava, and see how it effects REM. I've been enjoying kava a lot, but my sleep has been really shitty on night shifts this year...
Alternating schedule alone can really disrupt sleep, but when you have to do it, you have to do it. If you mean one of those smart watch type tracker, then sorry to say, these will measure pretty much everything except the actual sleep. That is they can't record EEG, which is the only way to visualise brain waves. I have never looked into these sleep trackers, they may have use, for example if you measure whatever they measure when you sleep well, then do the same when you don't sleep well, then the comparison can indicate you something. Lots of somethings here, for this reason never was interested in that tech. There are attempts to make a wearable EEG device comfortable enough for home use, but this was still mostly work in progress the last time I checked. That would be cool, your own brain data at home

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Alternating schedule alone can really disrupt sleep, but when you have to do it, you have to do it. If you mean one of those smart watch type tracker, then sorry to say, these will measure pretty much everything except the actual sleep. That is they can't record EEG, which is the only way to visualise brain waves. I have never looked into these sleep trackers, they may have use, for example if you measure whatever they measure when you sleep well, then do the same when you don't sleep well, then the comparison can indicate you something. Lots of somethings here, for this reason never was interested in that tech. There are attempts to make a wearable EEG device comfortable enough for home use, but this was still mostly work in progress the last time I checked. That would be cool, your own brain data at home
True. They do analyze heart rate though to show various depths of sleep though, and in theory deeper sleep cycles should correlate with more REM.

Last edited: