What's new

Can anyone I.D this Kava?

Lukie

Kava Curious
Hi all.

I obtained this kava plant from a guy in Germany of all places that keeps a couple of varieties in his greenhouse for ornamental value -although he does drink it once a year as they can't over winter- Anyway I am having trouble identifying it.

Could anyone help. His only knowledge is that a pharmaceutical company was testing it years back.

Thanks much.

Attachments

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi all.

I obtained this kava plant from a guy in Germany of all places that keeps a couple of varieties in his greenhouse for ornamental value -although he does drink it once a year as they can't over winter- Anyway I am having trouble identifying it.

Could anyone help. His only knowledge is that a pharmaceutical company was testing it years back.

Thanks much.
Do you happen to know how old that plant is?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
ooh, 6 months and that large coupled with the pharmaceutical testing makes me wonder if this is Palisi. I'll have to wait for our Hawaiian friends to wake up and start moving to get their input on it.

@Alia @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava
It does not look like a Hawaiian cultivar to me and my knowledge of other kava's outside Hawaii is limited.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

Lukie

Kava Curious
Sweet! Guess I have to wait a few years before testing though. What is the chemotype of this? I got conflicting reports one said it was heavy the other said heady. It gets really bad black fungus also a lot and spider mites all the time. Constantly spraying.... I hope it will make it!

Lukie

Kava Curious
I haven't seen enough pics of Samoan, Tongan, ni-Van, or PNG cultivars to rule them out, but if it's a Fijian cultivar, then it's Qila Balavu.
Is that photo of a plant growing in the UK, or the Philipines?
This is the only one that made it out of many. I had 5 when I arrived. 4 died in a 1 month quarantine. I am looking forward to have fresh kava in a few years for sure and I am buying a 200 gallon pot hopefully it will be big enough!

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
That's a bummer. Did they let you tend the plants while they were in quarantine, or did you have no access during that period?
Were they all the same cultivar? I'm curious if your German source had more than one cultivar.

Lukie

Kava Curious
That's a bummer. Did they let you tend the plants while they were in quarantine, or did you have no access during that period?
Were they all the same cultivar? I'm curious if your German source had more than one cultivar.
They got root rot. I had access but we were in quarantine also due to COVID testing so it was really difficult. When I got home they got smashed again by the airplane and then finally died. They were all Hawaiian apart from this one. Yes he has Hawaiian strains also Moi I think. They just don't do well in Germany during winter but he keep them going year after year.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
This is the only one that made it out of many. I had 5 when I arrived. 4 died in a 1 month quarantine. I am looking forward to have fresh kava in a few years for sure and I am buying a 200 gallon pot hopefully it will be big enough!
I’m already mourning the loss of your 5th plant. ::kavaleaf:: :dead:

best of luck though \000/

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Looking at the 2nd picture I think there is an area in the left side that has red spider mites or thrips.
These critters feed off leaves and cause the down-turning of a leaf because they "suck plant cells from many garden plants,"
Azatin aka Neem based insecticides and/or light sunspray oils can control.