What's new

Still trying to figure out how to avoid the next day nausea

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all,

I’m about a year or so into my kava journey. I’ve heard so many people say that they drink kava and feel 100% great during the session and the next day as well.

I’m at a point where I can typically feel great while drinking, but as the session is winding down I start feeling worse and then I almost always feel crappy the next day.

For those who usually feel great the next day, what’s the secret? Has anyone notice prep method affecting how they feel the next day? For example, aluball vs strainer? Does it come down to how quickly you drink?

I assume the amount you drink plays an important factor - a typical session for me is described below, but sometimes I use the same volumes with the strainer method instead.

As an example, last night I had 24 oz water in shaker with 2 aluballs (each ball had 2 tbs Fiji Vanua kava mela Tonga). I drank that pretty quickly, and then had a 2nd wash in 16 oz of water. I felt awesome last night, but today I feel nauseous and mentally slow (very similar to an alcohol hangover).

Maybe it makes sense to try just one ball with 2 tbs if using the shaker, or just 2 tbs in a strainer, and see how that goes?

I really enjoy the good parts of kava and would love feedback on the variables I can tweak, or that you’ve dialed in, to avoid feeling bad the next day.

Thanks!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi all,

I’m about a year or so into my kava journey. I’ve heard so many people say that they drink kava and feel 100% great during the session and the next day as well.

I’m at a point where I can typically feel great while drinking, but as the session is winding down I start feeling worse and then I almost always feel crappy the next day.

For those who usually feel great the next day, what’s the secret? Has anyone notice prep method affecting how they feel the next day? For example, aluball vs strainer? Does it come down to how quickly you drink?

I assume the amount you drink plays an important factor - a typical session for me is described below, but sometimes I use the same volumes with the strainer method instead.

As an example, last night I had 24 oz water in shaker with 2 aluballs (each ball had 2 tbs Fiji Vanua kava mela Tonga). I drank that pretty quickly, and then had a 2nd wash in 16 oz of water. I felt awesome last night, but today I feel nauseous and mentally slow (very similar to an alcohol hangover).

Maybe it makes sense to try just one ball with 2 tbs if using the shaker, or just 2 tbs in a strainer, and see how that goes?

I really enjoy the good parts of kava and would love feedback on the variables I can tweak, or that you’ve dialed in, to avoid feeling bad the next day.

Thanks!
Maybe finish drinking the last shell a little earlier in the night and make sure you eat a half way decent meal AFTER you're done for the day/night. Your kava dose of 4 tbs is average, I wouldn't worry about that amount too much.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Maybe finish drinking the last shell a little earlier in the night and make sure you eat a half way decent meal AFTER you're done for the day/night. Your kava dose of 4 tbs is average, I wouldn't worry about that amount too much.
Thanks - actually last night I did both those things. Finished drinking around 830 pm and then had dinner after. Appreciate the feedback though.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Any better this morning?
No this post is all about the same event last night. So I drank as described above last night, and then had dinner after drinking and had plenty water and a good night’s sleep. My hunch is that maybe some people just react worse than others and maybe there’s not much that can be done. I may experiment and see how I feel if I drink the same volume of water but reduce the kava to 2 or 3 tbsp instead of 4.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
No this post is all about the same event last night. So I drank as described above last night, and then had dinner after drinking and had plenty water and a good night’s sleep. My hunch is that maybe some people just react worse than others and maybe there’s not much that can be done. I may experiment and see how I feel if I drink the same volume of water but reduce the kava to 2 or 3 tbsp instead of 4.
Also maybe if you drink everyday, cut back to every other day. Or try a different time of day, like before lunch, do 1 ball, 2 tbsp., eat and then the other 2 tbsp. before dinner. (if possible)

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Also maybe if you drink everyday, cut back to every other day. Or try a different time of day, like before lunch, do 1 ball, 2 tbsp., eat and then the other 2 tbsp. before dinner. (if possible)
Thanks. I’m not an every day drinker, maybe 1-3 times a week max. Tomorrow I may try it in the daytime before lunch and see how that goes. Thank you.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks. I’m not an every day drinker, maybe 1-3 times a week max. Tomorrow I may try it in the daytime before lunch and see how that goes. Thank you.
Another quick thought that comes to mind, since you are a light-weight, (it's not a bad thing :)) You could try having a glass of milk or a banana, something light Before you have your nightly shell, sometimes a little food in the stomach is not a terrible idea.

Specially if you are drinking Heavy kavas.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Another quick thought that comes to mind, since you are a light-weight, (it's not a bad thing :)) You could try having a glass of milk or a banana, something light Before you have your nightly shell, sometimes a little food in the stomach is not a terrible idea.

Specially if you are drinking Heavy kavas.
Haha thanks, that’s something I can try. I usually try drink on an empty stomach, so that’s definitely a variable I can test.

So based on your comment it sounds like most seasoned drinkers wouldn’t feel crappy the next day drinking the amount I’m drinking?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Haha thanks, that’s something I can try. I usually try drink on an empty stomach, so that’s definitely a variable I can test.

So based on your comment it sounds like most seasoned drinkers wouldn’t feel crappy the next day drinking the amount I’m drinking?
Sometimes I drink a 1/2 lbs. throughout a day, yeah those next days I feel it, lol. But never really with regular consumption.

Nirad

Kava Curious
Do you take other things the next day like vitamins or medications? I find that sometimes (since I like to break my fast with Kava) if I take my vitamins and other medicines it can irritate my stomach and make me feel nauseous. Not all the time but it'd be at least good to take a look at what else you might be putting in your stomach the next day to make sure its not actually the cause.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Do you take other things the next day like vitamins or medications? I find that sometimes (since I like to break my fast with Kava) if I take my vitamins and other medicines it can irritate my stomach and make me feel nauseous. Not all the time but it'd be at least good to take a look at what else you might be putting in your stomach the next day to make sure its not actually the cause.
Interesting, thanks! I’m a night time drinker, so after I drink and before bed I’ll usually take a multi vitamin, fish oil, and vitamin d. Next time I can try skip those after kava and see what happens.

Elmanaro

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Kava Vendor
Hi all,

Thanks!
It depends what variety you're drinking. I can guarantee %100 if you get melo melo you won't have a hangover the next day.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
It depends what variety you're drinking. I can guarantee %100 if you get melo melo you won't have a hangover the next day.
The two most consistent Kavas for me are Fiji vanua kava mela tonga and KWK borogu. I’ve tried other types of kave but those have either not worked for me, or made me feel sick. I’m not sure if I’ve tried melo melo but maybe I’ll try that next.

what about it make it less like to cause a hangover?

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Hi all,

Thanks!
As mentioned earlier, there's quite a range of cultivars with all their various effects. Try some of New Zealand Kava Society's kavas. @Henry Their products are particularly cleaned well, with carefully peeled roots. And he even checks for rat droppings, etc. Their Kelai tastes great and leaves no ill effects for the newbies around my neighborhood who've tried it.

Elmanaro

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Kava Vendor
The two most consistent Kavas for me are Fiji vanua kava mela tonga and KWK borogu. I’ve tried other types of kave but those have either not worked for me, or made me feel sick. I’m not sure if I’ve tried melo melo but maybe I’ll try that next.

what about it make it less like to cause a hangover?
Through trial and error the locals here on Vanuatu have selected which varieties do not cause hangovers. It is well known in Vanuatu that varieties from Santo, Epi, Malekula, Ambae, Ambrym (nicknamed "Morning Fresh"), Maewo and Tanna do not cause hangovers.

The effects are very pronounced but they fade over time and don't linger into the next day.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
For me the three biggest factors for hangover are these:

1) very heavy kava (not vanua Tongan, usually Tongan treats are heady)

2) dehydration- you have to drink lots of water and eat fruit or vegetables to help with electrolytes.

3) eating junk food. This one is huge.Too much sugar absolutely will give you a worse kava hangover. To a lesser extent,chips and salty junk does too, but not as bad as sugar.

I notice milk thistle is great for the side effects of alcohol and kava. It helps your body detoxify and has some studies backing up its liver protective effect. I use extract from jarrow brand. I think I am going to switch to nootropics depot though, their a very reputable and affordable brand of supplements. Might be worth a shot for the nausea and definitely something that research says is great for your liver, kidneys, and gallbladder.anyone who uses any sort of substance, natural or otherwise, could benefit frommilk thistle IMO.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
As mentioned earlier, there's quite a range of cultivars with all their various effects. Try some of New Zealand Kava Society's kavas. @Henry Their products are particularly cleaned well, with carefully peeled roots. And he even checks for rat droppings, etc. Their Kelai tastes great and leaves no ill effects for the newbies around my neighborhood who've tried it.
Thank you, I’ve never tried those so will add them to the list!

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
For me the three biggest factors for hangover are these:

1) very heavy kava (not vanua Tongan, usually Tongan treats are heady)

2) dehydration- you have to drink lots of water and eat fruit or vegetables to help with electrolytes.

3) eating junk food. This one is huge.Too much sugar absolutely will give you a worse kava hangover. To a lesser extent,chips and salty junk does too, but not as bad as sugar.

I notice milk thistle is great for the side effects of alcohol and kava. It helps your body detoxify and has some studies backing up its liver protective effect. I use extract from jarrow brand. I think I am going to switch to nootropics depot though, their a very reputable and affordable brand of supplements. Might be worth a shot for the nausea and definitely something that research says is great for your liver, kidneys, and gallbladder.anyone who uses any sort of substance, natural or otherwise, could benefit frommilk thistle IMO.
Thanks for the feedback. I will look into milk thistle, I have heard of it but have never used it. As far as your 3 suggestions - I appreciate that but interestingly I don’t think any of those apply to me. I tend fo stick with balanced or heady Kava’s, I try drink a ton of water during and after my kava, and I’ve been a pretty clean eater for the last couple of years so my junk food is limited. But maybe milk thistle will do the trick, thanks again!