What's new

What does it mean, if your effects are always 'short-lived' ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I hear about other people's experiences, drinking it, and they always talk about the effects lasting for hours, and in fact, many many hours.
That is never the case for me. So, since I feel like I'm the only one, I really want to know why.
Typically, the effects for me last only about 15 minutes or less.
Every single time, and it doesn't matter which preparation, as I've done them all. And doesn't matter which strain or species, as I've tried all the major ones.
And it doesn't matter what brand. As I've tried all the major ones, that everyone here uses.
So back to the obvious question, what could possibly cause me to have such short-lived results ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I hear about other people's experiences, drinking it, and they always talk about the effects lasting for hours, and in fact, many many hours.
That is never the case for me. So, since I feel like I'm the only one, I really want to know why.
Typically, the effects for me last only about 15 minutes or less.
Every single time, and it doesn't matter which preparation, as I've done them all. And doesn't matter which strain or species, as I've tried all the major ones.
And it doesn't matter what brand. As I've tried all the major ones, that everyone here uses.
So back to the obvious question, what could possibly cause me to have such short-lived results ?
Your body's natural CYP2D6 expression could be different than the average Joe. There are poor, intermediate, efficient, or ultrarapid metabolizers. It could be that your genetic expression at this enzyme is causing your issues.

Ingelman-Sundberg, M. 2005. “Genetic Polymorphisms of Cytochrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6): Clinical Consequences, Evolutionary Aspects and Functional Diversity.” The Pharmacogenomics Journal 5 (1): 6–13. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.tpj.6500285

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Your body's natural CYP2D6 expression could be different than the average Joe. There are poor, intermediate, efficient, or ultrarapid metabolizers. It could be that your genetic expression at this enzyme is causing your issues.

Ingelman-Sundberg, M. 2005. “Genetic Polymorphisms of Cytochrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6): Clinical Consequences, Evolutionary Aspects and Functional Diversity.” The Pharmacogenomics Journal 5 (1): 6–13. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.tpj.6500285

Thank you !
I really appreciate the scientific interpretation and side of it ; The side that I'm not too good at.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Lock your metabolism in the closet and chug as many shells as you can before it comes back. :D

Maybe try making stronger shells or using less water. Try eating 5-10 minutes after your last shell, might help. Be sure you are in a super chill environment to begin with. Try different varieties of kava. Those are the thoughts that come to mind.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Found this information recently and it may also speak to differing results in kava drinkers. :

"We also found that polymorphisms within the SLC6A1 gene (a key gene coding for the GABA transporter protein) may have moderated the response to Kava (i.e. rs2601126 T alleles, p = 0.021, or rs2697153 A alleles, p = 0.046). In both studies, no differential abnormalities between treatment groups on liver function tests (LFTs) were revealed."

Sarris, Jerome, Gerard J. Byrne, Chad A. Bousman, Lachlan Cribb, Karen M. Savage, Oliver Holmes, Jenifer Murphy, et al. 2020. “Kava for Generalised Anxiety Disorder: A 16-Week Double-Blind, Randomised, Placebo-Controlled Study.” The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 54 (3): 288–97. https://doi.org/10.1177/0004867419891246.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Just a note. Thanks for asking questions like this. When I'm reading kava papers I keep these questions in my mind and it helps me understand better as well.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Just a note. Thanks for asking questions like this. When I'm reading kava papers I keep these questions in my mind and it helps me understand better as well.
No problem - and thank you. I would gladly become a laboratory animal, and donate my body to Kava Science ;)

Elmanaro

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Kava Vendor
That's not necessarily a bad thing, the effects usually are short lived (especially if you're drinking good quality kava). Do you find that it wears off when you lay down for a bit? Enjoy the buzz and drink more once it dies down.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Good observation that short lived effects are never bad.

Lomg lasting ones are either positive (relaxing) or negative (sedative) in my book.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
The initial thing that popped into my head, as far as I understand it, is the kavaiin lasts only for around the 15 min you are describing and this is the most noticeable effect. For me the rest of the kava experience is definitely more subtle after the initial kavaiin rush fades away.