What's new

Current legal status of kava in Singapore?

Crunked

Proselytizer
I have read that kava is permitted to be imported into Singapore in small quantities and that there are even some kava bars in Singapore. I need to find a definitive source because a friend is bringing some kava (2kg) from the USA to Australia transiting through Singapore. I need to be absolutely sure there will be no problem in Singapore. The friend will not be entering Singapore, merely transiting. I note that the Kava Society NZ posts to Singapore apparently without problems.

Any information would be most welcome.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I visit Singapore every year (pre-covid) and never heard of a kava bar there. I would think that rent is so high there that they would never cover costs.
Even if they have reversed their 2002 (ish) decision to ban it, I personally wouldn't risk it with Singapore, with their very serious penalties for tiny amounts of whatever they consider to be a drug.
Imports into Aussie from Vanuatu will begin very soon - why not just hang on for that?

Crunked

Proselytizer
Thanks nabanga. I checked the legislation in Singapore and kava (piper methysticum) is listed in the Poisons Act so I am abandoning the idea of my friend bringing me the package. ::giveup2:::facepalm:

I always travelled with kava to Singapore with zero problems. I checked it with their customs first and got a written confirmation that it's fine to have non-commercial quantities, for personal consumption. They reply within a few hours, so you can always just confirm it with them and then give the letter to your mate.

Hermes

Kava Curious
I visit Singapore every year (pre-covid) and never heard of a kava bar there. I would think that rent is so high there that they would never cover costs.
Even if they have reversed their 2002 (ish) decision to ban it, I personally wouldn't risk it with Singapore, with their very serious penalties for tiny amounts of whatever they consider to be a drug.
Imports into Aussie from Vanuatu will begin very soon - why not just hang on for that?
I visit Singapore every year and have visited perhaps a hundred times. Only once was my bag inspected and what followed was a polite brief interview and a quick lab test on one of my dozens of essential oils I was traveling with at the time. I would be very surprised if the result of carrying kava would be anything worse than a warning and seizure (of product not your nervous system). Nothing if not prohibited, of course. Might I suggest contacting the relevant State authority in Singapore? Singapore is the only country I know of that actually answers such email enquiries in a timely manner.

Last edited:

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I would be very surprised if the result of carrying kava would be anything worse than a warning and seizure (of product not your nervous system). Nothing if not prohibited, of course.
I've watched too many of the true stories of "Locked Up Abroad", so I wouldn't take a chance on any substances, in any foreign country.
Not that I wouldn't bring it. But I would make sure 100% that there's no problem, with no question.
But that's just me

Hermes

Kava Curious
Consider the source... during a walk in Malaysia I discovered a Cambodian joint in my shirt pocket. Oops! Prudent of you to be well-informed and cautious.

For certain don't wholesale import any chewing gum or child sex dolls - old and new laws. What I like about Singapore is they generally are practical.

What I do find funny about ASEAN countries is that during a train trip to Chiang Mai the Royal Railways of Thailand train superintendent saw me with my unlabeled bag of Fijian kava making a batch for the upper-berth clickety-clack rough night ahead. He asked me, 'heroin?', then walked away. True story.

Fact is I have no information about kava in Singapore. Sorry if I misled you that I did.

Last edited:
I've e-mailed Singapore customs and was informed kava is considered as processed food from the import point of view, but it's not approved for sale as such within Singapore. In practical terms this means it can be brought into the country for personal consumption (defined as maximum 5kgs, or $100 worth of product, whichever is greater). No duties or GST is payable for such small, low value personal consumption quantities.

This is the exact response I've received (SFA refers to Singapore Food Authority IRRC):

2 Kava tea are classified as processed food products. The import of processed food (excluding meat and fish products, fresh fruits and vegetables and products containing meat) is governed by the Sale of Food Act and the Food Regulations. Under Singapore Food Regulations, importers are required to obtain an import permit from SFA before importing food into the country.

3 However, SFA allows the import of processed food without the need for import documents if the processed food:

· Weighs less than 5kg/ amounts less than 5L*

· Costs less than S$100

*For Clean Dried Bird’s nest, a maximum of 1 kg is allowed and no restriction in the total value. These quantities are strictly for personal consumption only and not for sale.

· Is for personal consumption

4 As the food product may contain non-permitted food additives listed in the Food Regulations, consumers must be aware of the risks associated with consuming food items which have not undergone SFA checks.

5 We hope the above information addresses your enquiry.