What's new

My new potentially no-nausea kava (needs more testing to be sure))

new-kavadonia

Kava Curious
Kava drinking has become so complicated! How about moderation, ummm, what a novel idea.

Problem solved!
This post wasn't supposed to be about vomiting that was just on my mind at the time of writing. Moderated drinking to heavy kava sessions and everything in between always leaves my stomach feeling irritated. Perhaps my stomach is just sensitive that way. But it also affects my friends too. I know many people in the kava community are quite a kava Puritans and don't like any changes to kava or its preparation, but I think that limits its appeal for many people. I want to share the joys of kava with many more of my friends that are off-put by traditional kava and if that means deviating slightly from traditional prep, I'm happy to put in the extra work in. Helping reduce nausea might also help those who want an alcohol replacement when trying to cut down on drinking. Kava is a good relaxing and social drink but trying to keep up with others drinking at a party that might go on for hours can be a challenge as the kava piles up in your stomach. I love kava and its effects, and it's been a personal godsend for me, but I still feel like it can be improved upon, and besides, experimenting is fun.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This post wasn't supposed to be about vomiting that was just on my mind at the time of writing. Moderated drinking to heavy kava sessions and everything in between always leaves my stomach feeling irritated. Perhaps my stomach is just sensitive that way. But it also affects my friends too. I know many people in the kava community are quite a kava Puritans and don't like any changes to kava or its preparation, but I think that limits its appeal for many people. I want to share the joys of kava with many more of my friends that are off-put by traditional kava and if that means deviating slightly from traditional prep, I'm happy to put in the extra work in. Helping reduce nausea might also help those who want an alcohol replacement when trying to cut down on drinking. Kava is a good relaxing and social drink but trying to keep up with others drinking at a party that might go on for hours can be a challenge as the kava piles up in your stomach. I love kava and its effects, and it's been a personal godsend for me, but I still feel like it can be improved upon, and besides, experimenting is fun.
I personally look forward to what you'll find.

new-kavadonia

Kava Curious
I personally look forward to what you'll find.
I look at it like every other drink like coffee, milk, beer etc. Of course, it has its pure unadulterated original form. Still, as people grow curious to try it, changes are made so that a wider audience can enjoy it, like alcohol-free beer, decaf coffee, and lactose-free milk. There's no reason anyone should be left out if it's possible.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I look at it like every other drink like coffee, milk, beer etc. Of course, it has its pure unadulterated original form. Still, as people grow curious to try it, changes are made so that a wider audience can enjoy it, like alcohol-free beer, decaf coffee, and lactose-free milk. There's no reason anyone should be left out if it's possible.
I like your logic. Let's include everyone we possibly can.

Now....if you come up with a preparation method that beats the pants off what we normally do....you're morally obligated to share it with us ;)

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Kava drinking has become so complicated! How about moderation, ummm, what a novel idea.

Problem solved!
Pfft!!! I do what I want! LoL

Seriously, it’s more the taste that gets me. I have a few methods for that depending on the kava. :). I can over do it and get abit queasy. That being said, I do take enzymes daily already…

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Pfft!!! I do what I want! LoL

Seriously, it’s more the taste that gets me. I have a few methods for that depending on the kava. :). I can over do it and get abit queasy. That being said, I do take enzymes daily already…
I get around the taste by holding my breath while I chug each shell, same as when you have to swallow a bitter medicine or something that tastes unpleasant. It works 100% of the time. The trick is holding your breath, if you allow air back and forth, it activates your olfactory senses and than it's too late :D. Also avoid letting the liquid go to the sides of your mouth, shoot it straight down like it is your mission to allow the least amount of kava to touch you tongue (specially under your tongue) on the way down.

Only chug what you can manage without having to take a breath. I can chug 8 fluid ounces (236 ml), but it is more manageable to drink 6 fluid ounces. (177 ml), in one go. Also a cool/room temp. water extraction DRASTICALLY improves the overall taste.

Now it has been so long for me that the taste doesn't really bother me anymore but I still occasionally hold my breath for the real nasty peppery Vanu's.

KavaBobo

Kava Curious
I use an overly thick straw. My shell is a 16oz mason jar. I too hold my breath whilst chugging. What I can’t get at the bottom with the straw, I’ll slam the last 2 oz or so and I’m good to go.

AvaCat

Kava Curious
I agree with Krunky. I know everyone has their methods, but even I look back on my old ways disgusted in how I drank kava.

Nowadays ill do a strong 3-5 shell traditional prep and ice it. When ready to drink I have my shell, a cup of water, and a ginger ale. Chug kava shell with nose closed then mobilize it with water followed by a ginger ale chase. No taste/smell afterwards, something like you suggest would be nice though for reassurance.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I actually used a multi enzyme tablet for this method. It was the easiest and cheapest thing for me to get st the moment. It has multiple enzymes including amylase and lipase. All the enzymes are listed in my reddit post at the top of this thread. I just crush up the pill, add some water and then add to kava
Sounds like you have tablet form.
It may be easier if you get it in capsule form. That way all you have to do is pull apart each end of the capsule, and dump the powder in the drink.
Not only easier and quicker, but also probably dissolves or mixes better in the drink, than a crushed tablet

Forretressqt

Kava Curious
I know this a simple answer but, for me, I keep a bottle of isopropyl alcohol close by. Immediately after I consume, if my body detects a potential eject mode, I’ll crack the bottle open and sniff till the sensation subsides….works for me every time. hth
I thought I was the only one! The amount of hand sanitizer around does wonders for nausea; a quick rub of the hands and then inhaling seems to keep it well at bay.

AndrewG

Kava Curious
I think from a scientific perspective this is interesting. I would look further. At the same time, I tend to stick with traditional methods. There are times when nausea has stricken me, definitely in VU, once with a Tongan variety (riding my motorcycle at the time was an experience), and when I drink excessive amounts ( how much, I can't say), usually though in social settings or circles but it depends. When we add ginger to it for the group or coconut water I never get nausea. Then again it's a rare effect for me.