What's new

Different and Odd experience completing payment

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I chose not to post this in the vendor's forum, or even mention their name, because it isn't really about them, and I didnt want to sound like I was complaining
It may not even be a problem. But I'm curious. And trying to keep up with technology, as I'm usually lagging behind.
So anyway, this never happened before.
I went to checkout and ready for payment. There was choices for Paypal, Credit Card, and a couple others.
I specifically chose credit card and entered that info. Everything went fine, getting approved.
But what I found to be odd, is I get an official email receipt from Paypal for the transaction.

That's odd to me because I never logged into Paypal for this, at all.
And I never clicked on the Paypal option for payment. Only credit card ; the "traditional way"
It may not turn out to be a problem, but it concerns me that my Paypal account was "used" without me ever selecting it, or going through login.
Is this a new thing ?
Why and how does it happen ? How could they even associate a certain Paypal account with the transaction, without me even entering credentials for it ?
And I know I wasn't already logged into Paypal beforehand either.

I don't know if this is a coincidence, but in the last few days I received 2 texts indicating someone might be trying to log into my Paypal.
The text gave a Security Code to help log in. I immediately changed my password. But I received another such text the next day.
Then did a search, and apparently this is a common thing for people to get those, and even more such texts, even after they changed their Paypal password.
So I just wrote that off as one of those "random spam texts"

Thoughts ?

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I chose not to post this in the vendor's forum, or even mention their name, because it isn't really about them, and I didnt want to sound like I was complaining
It may not even be a problem. But I'm curious. And trying to keep up with technology, as I'm usually lagging behind.
So anyway, this never happened before.
I went to checkout and ready for payment. There was choices for Paypal, Credit Card, and a couple others.
I specifically chose credit card and entered that info. Everything went fine, getting approved.
But what I found to be odd, is I get an official email receipt from Paypal for the transaction.

That's odd to me because I never logged into Paypal for this, at all.
And I never clicked on the Paypal option for payment. Only credit card ; the "traditional way"
It may not turn out to be a problem, but it concerns me that my Paypal account was "used" without me ever selecting it, or going through login.
Is this a new thing ?
Why and how does it happen ? How could they even associate a certain Paypal account with the transaction, without me even entering credentials for it.
And I know I wasn't already logged into Paypal beforehand either.

I don't know if this is a coincidence, but in the last few days I received 2 texts indicating someone might be trying to log into my Paypal.
The text gave a Security Code to help log in. I immediately changed my password. But I received another such text the next day.
Then did a search, and apparently this is a common thing for people to get those, and even more such texts, even after they changed their Paypal password.
So I just wrote that off as one of those "random spam texts"

Thoughts ?
It was going to be processed through PayPal one way or another. The "credit card" option is there for those without a paypal account. If you use that, and the CC# you used is tied to a paypal account, it will show as if it were from that account.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
It was going to be processed through PayPal one way or another. The "credit card" option is there for those without a paypal account. If you use that, and the CC# you used is tied to a paypal account, it will show as if it were from that account.
Thanks, that's what I suspected.
I just pondered the security issue of anyone being able to tie or associate a credit card with a certain Paypal account, because I kind of viewed the Paypal account, as a vault of information that only I could access.
Of course it's done electronically, and not by man, but I was surprised to see such an automatic "pipeline" into my Paypal

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Many people will start with PayPal as a payment gateway when they are just starting out a new biz, it's cheaper (at first) and less daunting then going directly to a top CC processing company like FIS or Stax. I did the same thing when I started my first biz back in 2005. Your information is always safe either way but the merchant will be paying a higher % for each transaction with PayPal.

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
Paypal also owns an asset called Braintree. It's a traditional credit card processer and shows up with the Paypal branding on the receipts becuase people know what it is and is "trusted". They may see braintree and say what the heck is that thing, sounds sketchy lol. On the backend, compnies that use paypal a lot go with braintree because the processing fees are way lower. There are a bunch of of other benefits as well, but thats the big one. While you can use your credit card within regular paypal (you still have to click the paypal button) to make a payment, it doesnt usually show up as the "credit card" option on the front end unless its braintree. They're just different fee functions for the vendor if that makes sense.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Paypal also owns an asset called Braintree. It's a traditional credit card processer and shows up with the Paypal branding on the receipts becuase people know what it is and is "trusted". They may see braintree and say what the heck is that thing, sounds sketchy lol. On the backend, compnies that use paypal a lot go with braintree because the processing fees are way lower. There are a bunch of of other benefits as well, but thats the big one. While you can use your credit card within regular paypal (you still have to click the paypal button) to make a payment, it doesnt usually show up as the "credit card" option on the front end unless its braintree. They're just different fee functions for the vendor if that makes sense.

Thank you.
Just curious. If I didn't have a paypal account or that credit card wasn't associated with a paypal account, would it still go through without a hitch ?
The vendor doesn't completely rely on paypal to process all credit card payments, do they ?

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
Thank you.
Just curious. If I didn't have a paypal account or that credit card wasn't associated with a paypal account, would it still go through without a hitch ?
The vendor doesn't completely rely on paypal to process all credit card payments, do they ?
Yah so if they use Braintree and PayPal link then that would be all PayPal. To me that's no Bueno bc PayPal is super picky about certain products. If they boot u and u have a balance still on there, ur s.o.l. and u might not get it back......

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I have no paypal account or card linked to one (since I don't have one to link it to). I use my card on some vendors like this, and for me, email was part of the form requirements - probably in order to send me the receipt! I prefer to receive an email receipt than to not get one, and while paypal wanted me to make an account, I sent monies without ever creating or entering a password, a form that would be essential to access or start an account with any online service that deals with a money portfolio.