What's new

Alternatives for Europeans?

Shantu

Kava Curious
Hi dear Kavaheads,
First and foremost, a warm thanks to all of you for all the effort of maintaining such a nice and friendly forum. Kava has a bright future ahead if people like you are the ones promoting and using it.

I have been a long-time lurker here. I have severe social anxiety (in fact, it took me a week and 2 beers to get myself to write this post) and I do not really want to be zombified by benzos and such. Alcohol is also not a long-term solution... Anyway on one blessed day I found kava thanks to google and ever since I have been yearning for a chance to try it. Finally my financial state seems to have stabilized so I am more or less ready to finally order my first bag of kava.

Problem is, I live in Europe (Hungary to be exact) and I don't want to pay horrendous prices for shipping and customs. I found GKE but I have been wondering: is there any alternative for Europeans? I am planning to buy Malekula Magic, but there might be cheaper or more effective strains out there that I have not yet found.

Cheers,
--Shantu

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the forum Shantu! Hopefully some of the members who live overseas can help you with your quest. Concerning "effective strains", you never know what is going to be effective for your personal body chemistry. When we try a new Kava, we a write a review but here is the problem. I might write, this Kava is very heady. Shakas will write, I don't feel any headiness in this Kava or any other. So finding the right Kava mayl require that you try a few until you find one compatible with your own chemistry. Who knows, maybe you get a good one on the first try. Good luck!

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Totally understand the 2 beers sentiment. I've found kava to be such a better social crutch (don't really like the term social lubricant, for obvious reasons haha) for me than beer/alcohol ever was, here's hoping you find something that works out. And...Welcome!

Crunked

Proselytizer
Hi dear Kavaheads,
First and foremost, a warm thanks to all of you for all the effort of maintaining such a nice and friendly forum. Kava has a bright future ahead if people like you are the ones promoting and using it.

I have been a long-time lurker here. I have severe social anxiety (in fact, it took me a week and 2 beers to get myself to write this post) and I do not really want to be zombified by benzos and such. Alcohol is also not a long-term solution... Anyway on one blessed day I found kava thanks to google and ever since I have been yearning for a chance to try it. Finally my financial state seems to have stabilized so I am more or less ready to finally order my first bag of kava.

Problem is, I live in Europe (Hungary to be exact) and I don't want to pay horrendous prices for shipping and customs. I found GKE but I have been wondering: is there any alternative for Europeans? I am planning to buy Malekula Magic, but there might be cheaper or more effective strains out there that I have not yet found.

Cheers,
--Shantu
Three things you might want to consider: last time I looked GKE prices included shipping; they shipped immediately; as they shipped from within the EU the kava was not subject to any customs inspection or delay. You may want to weigh those aspects when making a decision.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
Yep, GKE is still your best bet. The free shipping is a great deal. I am not the biggest fan of VKS products, but on balance, GKE is a good deal for Europeans. I did have BKH ship to the UK once; it got through fine. PK have a flat shipping rate which is a good deal.

brett123

Kava Curious
Im from uk BKh just shipped me koniak fine quite a delay in customs though about 10days to door posted promptly by judd this helps
I have just order some 1kg of qkp from VKS same as GKE and will review it soon 300 serves ohh yes i always compare price to 300 cans of beer makes me feel better about the cost
I also think GKE is your best bet should take 4 days to your door from within the eu

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
Im from uk BKh just shipped me koniak fine quite a delay in customs though about 10days to door posted promptly by judd this helps
Can you be sure customs stopped it? This is pretty important.....lots of people in the UK are unsure as to what exactly (if anything) customs will do to their kava if they do intercept it.

brett123

Kava Curious
customs have stopped opened and checked several of my kavas over the years dont do a good job of re sealing i can tell you lol no i cant be sure this was customs but many others have rough guess i have ordered from VKS 10 x 1kg qkp 3x melo melo , bkh 1kg , kona kava store 3x kg , nakamal at home most products nothing has been stopped it is only not allowed in supplements the dry root has many uses

Shantu

Kava Curious
Thanks for all the replies :) I realized GKE is out of stock at the moment so my order will have to wait until the end of April.
300 serves ohh yes i always compare price to 300 cans of beer makes me feel better about the cost
That does make me feel much better about it! :D
How long does a kilo usually last? Is it really 300 servings? I know it depends on a lot of factors but let's assume a moderate/average intake.

brett123

Kava Curious
Yes I would say 300 serves realistic and roughly equal to 300 beers 30 x servings 1 shell in a week 10 week supply 2.5 months or drink 15 x serves a week 3 session of 5 serves per week and it could last nearly 5 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shantu

Kava Curious
Thanks to a discount at a local seller I could buy half a kilo of Quick Kava (GKE's instant) for the same price as a kilo of Malekula. I guess that would be an easier transition into Kava than straight traditional (though I wouldn't really mind, just looking for the best deal). How much do you use of instant for the same amount and potency of drink, compared to powder?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Over here, instant is usually less cost effective than root powder in my experience. Now you use way less of it (for me, I'd use something like 2 tbsps of a good instant at once, and 8 tbsps of root powder. I'm afraid I don't know the gram amounts) but the price is also much worse than 1:2. If you can't find a better price than the one on the Malekula, it might be worth a shot.

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
I had 3 tablespoons of kava kwik last night in about a half hour and I was krunked for the first time on instant ..I even ate thinking that it would settle it down and it just potentiated it which is a first for instant

Hi dear Kavaheads,

Cheers,
--Shantu
Hi Shantu,

I don't know if this helps but have you tried Gomoa? They are based in Hungary and stock some of our products but also other Kava products from different suppliers, you can find them here http://gomoa.net/herbal-shop/kava-k....html?osCsid=805b0ed0c737dbbc6e3d8fad68852aa1
I hope you find the best deal for you and I really hope whatever Kava you buy gives you a great effect!

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
I had 3 tablespoons of kava kwik last night in about a half hour and I was krunked for the first time on instant ..I even ate thinking that it would settle it down and it just potentiated it which is a first for instant
Maybe it was the Willie Nelson?

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
Maybe it was the Willie Nelson?

Haha , not this time KavaLot!! Totally caught me off guard tho ..kinda crept up on me ..I usually measure it out but I was in need so it's hard to say if 3 tbsp is accurate .

brett123

Kava Curious
got my 1kg of qkp quick kava premium from vks / gke as far as lasting goes instant kava last way longer per kg they use loads of kilos of kava then dehydrate and you just add the water back and i will not listen to any arguments that qkp lasts less than brew yourself kilo - kilo even kavassuer reviewer douglas said in one of his reviews of a micro grind from bkh
" What I essentially asked BKH was: “are you sure you didn’t put the wrong kava in the wrong bag? Because I’m pretty sure you accidentally sent me a half kilo of instant kava.” This wouldn’t have been a horrible thing. Imagine a half kilo of instant kava! You could get krunked every day for a few months."

instant kava goes further pound for pound lets suppose 1kg of squeeze your own makes 8 liters over estimate i think 1 liter = 4 servings of 250ml 32 serves per kg
so even if you make really weak 16 liters 64 serves ( not gonna happen ) 64 serves vs 300 thats also why it costs more you need more raw product to make it

Shantu

Kava Curious
Hi Shantu,

I don't know if this helps but have you tried Gomoa? They are based in Hungary and stock some of our products but also other Kava products from different suppliers, you can find them here http://gomoa.net/herbal-shop/kava-k....html?osCsid=805b0ed0c737dbbc6e3d8fad68852aa1
I hope you find the best deal for you and I really hope whatever Kava you buy gives you a great effect!
Yup Gomoa was the local seller I talked about in my previous post. :) They are out of Quick Kava at the moment (luck isn't with me it seems) but maybe I can get some for the same price once they have restocked. I can't wait!