What's new

Meh... Isa/Tudei

Status
Not open for further replies.

kavalover

Outsider
Has anybody had the recent stocks of Isa/Tudei from KBR? This used to be one of my favorite kavas last year, and I have to say, that I'm quite disappointed returning to it. I felt almost no effects using 1/2cup to 3 cups water. It wasn't until the very last shell of the second strain that I started to get where I like to be with kava. Way too much liquid in my stomach by then. I tried using a full cup and only 2 cups water, which was potent in flavor but very underwhelming still in terms of effects.

This is a kava that I remember being awesome as a mixer, as it is more of a muscle relaxer and not really a cerebral kava. However even the muscle relaxing properties were just, meh... I don't know why. I mixed it with some Boroguru from BKH to see if I could get anything out of it and, yeah, I did, but it felt like it was dominantly just the Boroguru I was feeling.

Anyway, I hate to say anything negative about one of my previously loved kavas, but this current batch just ain't doing it for me. Anybody else try it?

:headphones:

Theanine

Kava Curious
Maybe it's really old. I have some old Isa Kava from KBR, I gave it a try a few days ago. Really only felt a very mild sedation, felt like most of the kavalactones had been broken down, kinda bummer. Does it taste kind of old?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Just to let you guys know, the kavalactones are volatile and they do evaporate so that means the longer you have it and do not use it, it will get weaker, also if the Isa is freshly harvested and still weak then it could be a young plant, just in a 6 month period the kavalactones can change up to 50%. So if you harvest the Isa 6 months earlier than usual it could be about 50% less potent. Aloha.

Chris

infraredz

BULA!
I just noticed this on their website in their description for "Vanuatu Isa/Tudei specialty kava"

"Isa/Tudei is speculated to be "piper wichmanii" one of the original wild strains from Papua, New Guinea and Vanuatu."

I don't know if you want to be getting that
Emoticons that show my face when I read that... :wideyed: :jawdrop: o_O

resiak

Kava Curious
Just to let you guys know, the kavalactones are volatile and they do evaporate so that means the longer you have it and do not use it, it will get weaker, also if the Isa is freshly harvested and still weak then it could be a young plant, just in a 6 month period the kavalactones can change up to 50%. So if you harvest the Isa 6 months earlier than usual it could be about 50% less potent. Aloha.

Chris
So how long can you safely (without losing potency) store Kava if stored in an air tight container. I've been looking forward to getting a nice collection going and am now concerned about it losing potency.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I can't speak for safety or the rate at which it loses potency. But in the past, I've rolled up bags of kava, clipped them...and didn't come back to them for 1-3 years sometimes. They still worked, especially the Stone. I had some really old Mahakea that seemed to change flavor and made a different color beverage. It seemed to lose potency, but I couldn't fairly say, after so much time had passed between uses.

Poivrier

methystified
I noticed some potency decline after a few months, so now I store all my kavas in the freezer, divided in separated ziplocks so I minimize loss everytime I come with my spoon. :LOL: Overkill !

Status
Not open for further replies.