What's new

Kava Terminology

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Thank You @HeadHodge . For newbies like me, this can really be a go to thread. We need that here. I would give you a trophy, If I only new how.:shameshame: Much love. Roaddog....

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Thank You @HeadHodge . For newbies like me, this can really be a go to thread. We need that here. I would give you a trophy, If I only new how.:shameshame: Much love. Roaddog....
My pleasure, seeing that my work helps others, gives me much happiness!! :happy: You already gave me a trophy with your post. ;)

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Yanqona - The local name for Kava in Fiji.
Sakau - The local name for kava in Micronesia.

also, you may wanna add to the grog definition that it's prominently a Fijian phrase.
...and this may be redundant, but naming each of the six major kavalactones and flavokavain B might be useful. Including it's abbreviation 'FKB'. Possibly the vendor abbreviations too.

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Heady Kava (Brain Load)
Heady Kava describes a Kava that produces more effects on your mind than on your body. It can be, euphoria, spaciness or just a gentle uplifting to your outlook and sense of well-being. It gives you a light, clean, whimsical contentment that has a lot of cognitive, psychological and emotional effects (mental relaxation, motivation, empathy, mood uplift, etc.)​

Heavy Kava (Body Load)
Heavy Kava describes a Kava that produces more effects on your body than your mind. The effects can be felt more in your body & muscles and gives you an all-around slow & sedating experience. It can relax your muscles, usually relieve some pain, and make your body feel very heavy as you sink into the couch, along with (usually) heavy sedation.​

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Sorry, just saw this. Incorrect, guys. Koniak is a pidgin term for ALL kava in PNG. There is a piper wichmanii plant known as waeld koniak that grows in PNG as well.
Thanks for your feedback. I would appreciate it, if you could copy my definition and modify it so that it's correct. Then I'll toss mine and use yours.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Powdered Kava
The harvested, blended, and dried lateral root, and central corm of the Kava plant that is then ground down and packaged for sale.
Some specialized powdered Kavas inclulde Waka - which is powdered Kava prepared from only lateral roots with no basal stump and Lawena - which is powdered Kava prepared from only the basal stump (also known as the central corm) and no lateral roots.
Instant Kava
Instant kava is kava which is produced from the dehydration of prepared powdered Kava. Either fresh kava juice, or prepared root that has gone through the traditional dry powdered prep is used. This is not to be confused with micronized kava which is simply the root stock which has been ground to a very fine consistency. The resulting Kava is mixed with water and consumed without the need for straining or any type of traditional preparation methods.
Kava Extract
Kava extracts use Kava lactone extraction by using solvents that produce a concentrated product that is usually a solid mass with a soft paste like consistency. The resulting Kava paste is normally consumed sub-lingual, under the tongue. The benefit of this technique is the paste is easily absorbed into the body and bypasses the need for the stomach to metabolize the Kava lactones. Common examples of extracts are high pressure CO2 extractions made by passing supercritical CO2 through a bed of material. Besides CO2, ethanol and other alcohols can be used to extract Kava, but are seen as possibly harmful because the solvents extract other unwanted compounds from the Kava root.
Fresh Kava
The mythical unicorn of the kava world. Readily available to those in kava producing countries or states, but to the bulk of us this is a rare treat. Fresh kava is typically harvested, washed, peeled, and ground for immediate consumption, or frozen for transport and resale. Just as magical as this treat sounds to actually find and purchase, the effects are just as magical. Fresh kava is nothing like powdered kava in terms of effects profile. It is recommended that every Kava lover to at least once sample some fresh Kava.
Kava Tinctures
Kava Tinctures use alcohols to extract Kava lactones from the root of the Kava plant. The result of the extraction is a concentrated liquid that is commonly stored and consumed from a small bottle with a dropper cap. Tinctures are fast acting and are easily absorbed into your system. However, alcohol solvents also extract other unwanted compounds from the Kava root that are seen as possibly harmful . It is recommended that you avoid making or using Tinctures.​

Kava Capsules and Pills
Kava Capsules and Pills are essentially ground Kava Root packed into typically a gel cap or similar container. They are consumed like you would take other pills made with gel caps. The gel cap disolves in your stomach once swallowed and the Kava powder is metabolized by the stomach. In a way it is similar to consuming Kava using the Toss 'n Wash technique. The main problem with capsules is that they are inordinately expensive, and you need to consume many capsules to obtain any really good Kava effects.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
@HeadHodge
Koniak
A PNG (the island of Papua New Guinea) pidgin word meaning "cognac". Used to generally describe ALL kava cuktivars, by the Papuan people. The word does not point to a specific cultivar. There is a specific wild kava cultivar (piper wichmanii) that grows in PNG known as Waeld Koniak (Wild Cognac).

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Heady
An energizing, cerebral side effect often used to describe a specific strain of kava kava.

"Ringing of the Ears"
A temporary, potential side effect from drinking kava that most kava drinkers refer to as listening to the kava. It mimics the medical condition of tinnitus but usually last until the half life of kava takes its course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Heady
An energizing, cerebral side effect often used to describe a specific strain of kava kava.

"Ringing of the Ears"
A temporary, potential side effect from drinking kava that most kava drinkers refer to as listening to the kava. It mimics the medical condition of tinnitus but usually last until the half life of kava takes its course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!! (y)

Anyone got anything else? I'm running out of steam (and ideas).

Anyone have a good definition for Toss 'n Wash? I don't do it myself, so I'm not totally sure how it's done.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Toss and Wash - Mixing kava root in water and drinking it without straining. Often done with micronized kava. May cause more digestive upset and other side effects than strained kava.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kava Tinctures
Kava Tinctures use alcohols to extract Kava lactones from the root of the Kava plant. The result of the extraction is a concentrated liquid that is commonly stored and consumed from a small bottle with a dropper cap. Tinctures are fast acting and are easily absorbed into your system. However, alcohol solvents also extract other unwanted compounds from the Kava root that are seen as possibly harmful . It is recommended that you avoid making or using Tinctures.

Do you think you could add "For the time being" at the end of that paragraph because the jury is really still out on whether or not this is "without a doubt harmful".

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Sorry, just saw this. Incorrect, guys. Koniak is a pidgin term for ALL kava in PNG. There is a piper wichmanii plant known as waeld koniak that grows in PNG as well.
I wanted to correct some things so that everyone does not get inaccurate information. In Papua New Guinea there are many kava's.

There are 0 called Koniak. There are ones called: Isa, Iwi, Ume, Bundan, Kau Kupwe, Kau pel Kau pwusi, Borosak, Ayou, Sipaia, and Kwakwako.

Only one is called Koniak, the rest have there own names as I have listed. Isa and Iwi have never been called Koniak. It is important to have accurate information. Aloha nui loa.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted User01

I remember Isa and Iwi from one of your articles on Tudie Kava and its on the Kava Library too. Iwi had a tremendous Kavalactone percentage of 29 percent. Isa not so much. Besides Koniak, I have never heard of the others.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I wanted to correct some things so that everyone does not get inaccurate information. In Papua New Guinea there are many kava's.

There are 0 called Koniak. There are ones called: Isa, Iwi, Ume, Bundan, Kau Kupwe, Kau pel Kau pwusi, Borosak, Ayou, Sipaia, and Kwakwako.

Only one is called Koniak, the rest have there own names as I have listed. Isa and Iwi have never been called Koniak. It is important to have accurate information. Aloha nui loa.

Chris
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava That's not true and doesn't seem to make sense, first you say "there are 0 called Koniak", then you say "only one is called Koniak". "Koniak" is a term the people of PNG sometimes use for all kava, kind of like Fijians sometimes call kava "grog". There does also happen to be a variety of wichmanii called "Waeld Koniak", that if made into a drink, a Papuan may call Koniak, before vomiting of course. All of my PNG contacts, including suppliers and farmers, sometimes refer to kava as "koniak" so with all do respect, I'm going to go with what they say. Aloha nui loa back at ya bra. Shootz.

Last edited by a moderator:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Uprooted - When something said or done results in interfering with the full relaxation of your kava buzz. Akin to 'harshing' one's 'mellow'. ;)

i kid,...i kid...