What's new

Kava Botany mr.sanpedro's Baby Kava Plants

mr.sanpedro

Kava Curious
Now the Piper methysticum plants arrived. I am happy to have this here in Europe rare plants. It is a beautiful Hiwa and a pana ewa. Here are some pictures. The plants are in a plastic box with a cable heater and under a 30 watt led for plants. The air humidity is 90% and the heat is 30 Celsius. The soil is 50% perlite and 50% compost. There are some other plants e.g. vanilla planifolia.
IMAG0089.jpg
1408985357531.jpg
1408985317623.jpg
1408986428431.jpg

One Week ago, a few leaves and stems are rotten, I think it was the stress from the shipping, but after fertilizing there are growing new sprouts.
1409765197573.jpg
1409766025341.jpg
1409766117667.jpg

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
wow @mr.sanpedro , I must say that is an interesting grow. May I offer a little advice. I may start by saying I own an organic farm. I have also used grow lights, for many projects. LEDs, in the spectrum you have, will work, but notice there are far more red elements than blue. Well the light you use, would be great in a plant that is in its fruiting stage. Such at Tomatoes, or peppers. But your goal is to vegetate. So I would simply add some compact florescence. Maybe a couple 80 watts. 30 watts is not much at all. Actually with one of these, you could do even better. But I know they are not cheap They are called T5 grow lights here is a link to one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VG-48-Grow-...47?pt=US_Hydroponics&var=&hash=item3a9624d7f3 , Now I realize this light may be a bit much. Also I see your point, by keeping them in a tote, to try to build up humidity. But, those plant also need plenty of air exchange. I would drill holes in the sides of the totes, so they can breath. Otherwise they will build up too much Oxygen, and not have enough CO2 to feed off of, if that makes sense? Actually I thing I would be using one of these, especially after they get larger http://www.amazon.com/Reflective-Mylar-Hydroponics-Plant-Growing/dp/B00E6CZPJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409013549&sr=8-1&keywords=grow tent , although again prices may be an issue. If you notice on the grow tent, it has vent holes at the bottom. It would still require a vent fan, to cool the light you use. but you could put the vent fan on a timer. Also you could put a small humidifier, in there to keep humidity high. Please don't think I'm picking your grow apart, far be it. Its an impressive little thing. I just wanted to show you the high tech equipment, for such a grow. Which you already may know. What you have will work for a while. (y) I am curious, about 2 things. Do you also have your set up in front of a window, and using outside light in conjunction, with the grow Light? My next question, would have to do with your user name. Are you into San Pedro cactus? the fastest growing cactus in the world. I just wanted to show you some images, of some, I was cloning. I got all this started off one clipping. I thought maybe you would dig the pic. Much love. Roaddog....
194079279-001.jpg

Last edited:

mr.sanpedro

Kava Curious
Hi Roaddog, thank you for your feedback! I have larger led lights, but at the moment the 30 watt is enough, because the box is at the window. If the plants are larger, they come into a grow tent. About the blue light it is eventually better to use more blue light, but the natural light from the window brings the blue light and I want more compact plants. If they get more blue light the stems get longer and that is not so good for indoor. Don't forget I can't grow plants which are too tall. The usable light from leds is more efficient than the light from other lamps, because it is cold light. I have a humidifier, this is for the larger plants in the future, if they get larger. About my name, yes I have san pedros and they grow really large. I have seen really big sanpedros in the botanical garden here. I will uploade some pictures. Thank you for your tips about the air, I put a bambus stem between the top of the box and the box for more air(y)

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Love the cacti, there @mr.sanpedro . Seems like you know what your doing there. To bad Germany, isn't a little more subtropical. But its not very subtropical here where I am at, here, across the pond. Anyway, you have some nice grows there sir. Much love. Roaddog....

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Really Chris, from @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava , could give you the best advice on those plants, as he runs his own huge grows, down in Hawaii. Also I some times purchase his products, and they are great. Much love. Roaddog....

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Roaddog, are you sure these plants are the strain of kava for drinking? I think that I've read their is a difference. Any chance that you know of getting some from our favored kava vendors?

Oh, and yes, I'm in the USA, in MD.
I'm pretty certain, they wouldn't be around long, if they were saling fake kava plants. Now also I now of a member or 2 that have been very happy with there choice, of biding on this item. So I personally would have no problem ordering these plants. Now I have wondered why our venders cant offer plants. I don't have an answer for that. I can tell you a plant will not survive long, without sunlight. Maybe 3 or 5 days. So I would say you get your plant fast. Like I said, It may not be Nobel, who knows? I don't think it really matters. One would have to do a lot of creating an alternative environment, to be able to grow a large Kava plant, to be old enough, and harvest it for consumption. At least up here in the lower 48. What factors play a role, I'm not sure.But it is a real kava plant. Much love, Roaddog....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
@mr.sanpedro very nice plants and grow setup, I'm jealous. I only have Mo'i.

I'm pretty certain, they wouldn't be around long, if they were saling fake kava plants. Now also I now of a member or 2 that have been very happy with there choice, of biding on this item. So I personally would have no problem ordering these plants. Now I have wondered why our venders cant offer plants. I don't have an answer for that. I can tell you a plant will not survive long, without sunlight. Maybe 3 or 5 days. So I would say you get your plant fast. Like I said, It may not be Nobel, who knows? I don't think it really matters. One would have to do a lot of creating an alternative environment, to be able to grow a large Kava plant, to be old enough, and harvest it for consumption. At least up here in the lower 48. What factors play a role, I'm not sure.But it is a real kava plant. Much love, Roaddog....
I know @Deleted User01 was sending pics of the plants (most of us got them from that same nursery) to @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava for an ID. Did we ever get one?

I'm surprised none of our Hawaiian vendors sell them but maybe it's too much of a pain in the butt to pack + ship them as a lot of care goes into that, and also making sure it's legal as many states have restrictions on importing flora.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
HI everyone, I can not tell what kind of kava the plants are because they are still too young but I can tell you the vendor on ebay,"hibotanical"
Is in Hilo and I live close to Hilo, I have spoken with this guy before and he does sell Hawaiian kava. So far I think he is selling Moi as Panaewe.
The plants I have seen that Deleted User01 has got from him looks like it is Panaewa and not Moi but it is Hawaiian.
There was a company in Florida that was selling Isa but I do not know if they are still selling that or not.
Aloha.

Chris

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks, Roaddog. I definitely want to try one. I have a lot of success growing tropical plants that I have to keep indoors for several months out of the year, so I think it's worth a try anyway.

mr.sanpedro

Kava Curious
Well, Kava plants are more robust you think. My Kava Plants need 2 weeks of shipping to Germany and they are alive. (The costoms employees aked me what it is:D) The leaves are a little bit damaged, but the stems are fresh and this is important for the Kava Plants. You can grow Kava Plants only from the stems if they have 1 or more healty internodes. It is important for the plants to never dry out in the shipping package. If the stems are healthy the Plants can grow. What you need is a optimum condition in your room, growing tent or better in your garden. I don't like it to use lamps for the plants because it is environment unfriendly, but I have no other options in Germany. hibotanical from ebay is a serious ebay vendor and the plants are really good! You can ask about other strains of Kava, he can organize it. There are a few more people who sell Kava plants, but the most of these outside from Hawaii don`t sell Kava, it is a plants that looks like Kava "Piper auritum" or Santa hoja. It is the fake Kava and it is toxic, because it contains safrole. You can see it on my account picture, this is Piper auritum.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Well, Kava plants are more robust you think. My Kava Plants need 2 weeks of shipping to Germany and they are alive. (The costoms employees aked me what it is:D) The leaves are a little bit damaged, but the stems are fresh and this is important for the Kava Plants. You can grow Kava Plants only from the stems if they have 1 or more healty internodes. It is important for the plants to never dry out in the shipping package. If the stems are healthy the Plants can grow. What you need is a optimum condition in your room, growing tent or better in your garden. I don't like it to use lamps for the plants because it is environment unfriendly, but I have no other options in Germany. hibotanical from ebay is a serious ebay vendor and the plants are really good! You can ask about other strains of Kava, he can organize it. There are a few more people who sell Kava plants, but the most of these outside from Hawaii don`t sell Kava, it is a plants that looks like Kava "Piper auritum" or Santa hoja. It is the fake Kava and it is toxic, because it contains safrole. You can see it on my account picture, this is Piper auritum.
Thanks for this post. I'm going to order some plants. A lot of plants are more robust than a lot of people think, but a lot of people are expert killers of plants, ::kavaleaf::. I grow orchids, jasmine, and other tropical here in MD (I'm in USDA zone 7b) and they thrive and bloom every year, the ones of them that flower anyways. I have a bright southern exposure of glass patio doors, about 25' long, where I keep all my plants in the winter and they seem to be quite happy, well as happy as indoor plants can be I guess, for the average 4 months that I have to keep them inside.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
@Roaddog, I have a decent collection of cacti and succulents. In fact I've nurtured them so long that I couldn't imagine doing anything other than continuing to let them live. I took quite a few cuttings last year and gave them away to friends and family as gifts. Plus some of my cacti stretched too thin from lack of light.

i'm trying my hand at germinating some cacti from seeds, being that they threw off quite a few blooms last year. Some daring squirrel took several massive bites out of my prized collection last fall, and it finally healed shut, thank god. She's easily fifteen years old. I have so many plants, my wife finally asked me to get rid of the ones with low huggability factors. Window space became non-existant in the wintertime, so I guess I don't blame her. I'm a plant nerd, big time.