What's new

Swishing Kava Around in Mouth

KavaJazz

Kava Curious
I read a claim on a forum from an experienced kava drinker who said that swishing kava around in ones mouth for 3-4 minutes before swallowing makes the effects come on quicker and makes for a much more euphoric experience, while gulping it down makes for a more heavy drowsy one. Have any of you found this to be the case?

This also poses an interesting question: From my understanding, heavy kavas taste worse and people gulp them down, while heady ones tent to taste lighter and people would naturally keep them in their mouths longer. I wonder. If that is part of the cause if the differing effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Sounds like he's claiming to get a strong rush from the sublingual administration. While that can be very effective for some substances, kava, at least in any traditional form, doesn't seem to be one that benefits that greatly from it. The Tanna-style prep of using chewed root and saliva is potent, but not exactly sublingual.
Chewing root works, but it's mild. Sometimes I put some powder in my lip and leave it there for 15min...I can feel it, but it's mild. Not super fast or euphoric.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I would classify chewing fresh root as an enjoyable sublingual experience but (1) much more palatable than holding kava prepared from dried root in your mouth and (2) much more concentrated as the ratio of kavalactones to water is much better with the fresh root.

Personally, I just couldn't tolerate holding it in my mouth long enough to see if it did anything.

In fact a long time ago I tried it several times with a tbsp of dry root under the tongue and it never did anything.

Last edited:

KavaJazz

Kava Curious
Thank for the answers, and just to be clear, I don't mean chewing kava powder, but rather swishing the kava drink around in your mouth before swallowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Every little bit helps but it's nothing magical.
I do the mouth swish, I get a nice numbing effect if nothing else.

ShannyinSobriety

Kava Enthusiast
I tried this at first, it made my mouth very numb, once my stomach went numb (wouldn't recommend it), but I don't think it is necessary - I actually don't like a numb mouth myself. If you have a good grade kava then 20 minutes after you have a shell you will feel just fine.

blindy107

Kava Lover
I picked up the dried moi for chewing purposes from GHK. Just came in today actually.

So far not bad. It's definitely a little odd if you aren't used to it I imagine. I have chewed tobacco frequently so this is not bad. The effects are hard to say at this point. You see, I also received some mahakea and as we all know it's the bomb dot com. So I had a shell of that before chewing my root. I will say the numbing is far more severe than when drinking it. I also feel these little pulp like bits that are very soft and remind me of a fruit sort of. I imagine they are desirable bits so I don't mind swallowing a few. As for the fiberous root. It's very easy to feel it in the wad and avoid swallowing.

I think it adds a little something to the shell preceding it. I'm on my second root nib of the day now and I feel light effect coming on. Good to know. It seems like at this rate the bag will last me over a month and at 11$ I'm stoked!

More to come

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I picked up the dried moi for chewing purposes from GHK. Just came in today actually.

So far not bad. It's definitely a little odd if you aren't used to it I imagine. I have chewed tobacco frequently so this is not bad. The effects are hard to say at this point. You see, I also received some mahakea and as we all know it's the bomb dot com. So I had a shell of that before chewing my root. I will say the numbing is far more severe than when drinking it. I also feel these little pulp like bits that are very soft and remind me of a fruit sort of. I imagine they are desirable bits so I don't mind swallowing a few. As for the fiberous root. It's very easy to feel it in the wad and avoid swallowing.

I think it adds a little something to the shell preceding it. I'm on my second root nib of the day now and I feel light effect coming on. Good to know. It seems like at this rate the bag will last me over a month and at 11$ I'm stoked!

More to come
You know what, that's pretty cool. I think I wouldn't mind chewing and spiting the kava into a cup, and drinking it, after I spit enough. I know it sounds gross, but that's the way it was traditionally used. Except many people would be chewing and spitting. Its one thing to drink my own spit, its all together different to drink everyones spit. But I would probably try it either way. Much love. Roaddog....

blindy107

Kava Lover
I don't spit it Roaddog. i just drink it as it comes. trying hard not to get too much root in my stomach but it's not easy! All in all i have to say i quite enjoy it this way.

D

Deleted User01

When I first started Kava, I would hold the liquid under my tongue for a while before swallowing. And it was that peppery tasting Boroguru. :eek: Nowadays, I don't need that anymore. I get immediate effects just from gulping.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I don't spit it Roaddog. i just drink it as it comes. trying hard not to get too much root in my stomach but it's not easy! All in all i have to say i quite enjoy it this way.
No what I meant was traditionally a group would stand around and chew root, and spit it into a large bowel. where after spitting and filling the bowel, with enough kava infused spit. The group of islanders would then drink the spit. To my understanding this is how kava was used in certain ceremonies. That's what I was referring to. Much love. Roaddog....

Roaddog

Kava Who?
ew...sounds viking
yea, sounds pretty crazy to me too. That's why I mentioned using my own spit. But spit, is spit I guess. Meaning I would love an opportunity to go to one of theses islands, and participate in a traditional ceremony. Hell, I would ware the grass skirt, and all of it. I would feel honored to be able to participate. But the drinking other peoples spit thing, I would just grin and bear it. I would try not to thing about it, and focus my attention, onto the traditional ceremony part. As I assume the islanders do, too. But maybe if it was your way of life, and traditions, it may seem perfectly normal to drink others, kava infused spit. I bet it makes for one hell of a grog. I'm sure the experience is Krumpt time 10. Much love. Roaddog....

blindy107

Kava Lover
Well after reading about it sounds like the village virgin gals did the chewing and spitting for the men. I'm only engaged, not married yet so let's go!
::awesomesmiles::

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well after reading about it sounds like the village virgin gals did the chewing and spitting for the men. I'm only engaged, not married yet so let's go!
::awesomesmiles::
Good deal, you got the details on it. I guess I was a bit off, but in the ball park. Well I'm married, so where does that leave me with the Virgin spit? I bet I'm on the outs, know. Much love. Roaddog....

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
No what I meant was traditionally a group would stand around and chew root, and spit it into a large bowel. where after spitting and filling the bowel, with enough kava infused spit. The group of islanders would then drink the spit. To my understanding this is how kava was used in certain ceremonies. That's what I was referring to. Much love. Roaddog....
I'm down with that, as long as they are all virgins!!! (if you're going traditional, then go all the way)