What's new

no effects

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
Does anyone else sometimes have little to no effects when having the first few shells of kava? I do and im trying to narrow down the variables to this. Ive gotten it down to-
-too much caffeine intake throughout the day
-stomach TOO empty
-body already dehydrated before kava use (maybe causing the grog to rehydrate body rather than letting kavalactones go where their supposed to)
-mixing upbeat kava with sedating kava (such as moi micro w. Stone)
-building tolerance? (Not sure if tolerance is proven with kava)

Quality concerns shouldnt be an issue as i usually rotate between moi micro, maheka instant, and stone root. And RT is not an issue either.
This has got me very curious. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast
Does anyone else sometimes have little to no effects when having the first few shells of kava?
Yep.

I do and im trying to narrow down the variables to this. Ive gotten it down to-
-stomach TOO empty
-body already dehydrated before kava use (maybe causing the grog to rehydrate body rather than letting kavalactones go where their supposed to)

Quality concerns shouldnt be an issue as i usually rotate between moi micro, maheka instant, and stone root. And RT is not an issue either.
This has got me very curious. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Well, I think you've got the right idea. Any of those things maybe.

Personally a near-empty stomach seems to be the best time for me (with a small snack or some fruit.) And it's OK to hydrate around shells -- they say it doesn't really dilute the experience. And personally I haven't had problems with mixing kinds of kava, but that's just me.

Some nights the kava just makes me sleepy without much effect; other nights it's calming and euphoric. That's how it goes.

Regards

EDIT: If you think you could stomach it, 4+ tablespoons of ground root will make it a little stronger.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
We serve kava to scores of people daily so I've got a good test group. By far the most common cause of a difference in effect is going to be if you have an empty stomach or not. The emptier the better, I've never heard of a stomach being too empty. Too much caffeine just causes something of a hipster speedball effect. Mixing kavas doesn't seem to cancel it out. Working through reverse tolerance early in your kava drinking career is a possibility as well.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Does anyone else sometimes have little to no effects when having the first few shells of kava?
I usually never feel anything until around my 3rd shell, or at least 30-45 minutes into my session.
I do and im trying to narrow down the variables to this. Ive gotten it down to-
Based on my experience, this may be possible. I have noticed a push-pull between kava and caffeine.
-stomach TOO empty
No way.
Doubtful. Though proper hydration will definitely make you feel better before, during and after kava.
I find the effects to be additive, not cancelling.
Also pretty doubtful.

I have had "nothing days" here and there where it just isn't doing what it normally does. On those days, I either augment with a little extra (micronized if I have it) or call it a night and I still sleep well and wake feeling good. There does seem to be a null-event every now and then. I haven't found a pattern.

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
Great input. Freakin quick too.
From what i gathered I will have to cut down on my caffeine intake. Thanks guys.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I can work on that tomorrow. It's pretty easy, I'll just do a quad cappucinno in the morning before hitting the kava hard first thing when I drop off supplies at the nakamal.
So then you openly admit that you are a hipster? Is that what I'm hearing?

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Take pictures of your legs. If we see ankles: hipster. Also if your total spend on mustache wax per month is greater than $0.00, that's a key indicator.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
So then you openly admit that you are a hipster? Is that what I'm hearing?
Haha. Well I live in Portland, drink good coffee, and enjoy an obscure alternative intoxicant. Though I don't wear skinny jeans or drink Pabst. Talking yesterday with some other native Portlanders and we agreed that the people in Portland who act like the people on Portlandia are all transplants.

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
Short socks = hipster ?
I might have to invest in more long socks then.
My general rule of thumb is long socks if pants, short socks if shorts.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Great input. Freakin quick too.
From what i gathered I will have to cut down on my caffeine intake. Thanks guys.
Nah, I don't think so. I drink a moderate amount of coffee and am heavily affected by kava, as do many of my customers. It may change the way the kava feels, but if it's good kava you should definitely still be affected.

Try drinking on an empty stomach with low lighting. Have enough, meaning at least two strong shells (Which means you used about 1/2 cup of root). Follow up the kava a few minutes later with a small warm meal or a cup of hot tea.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Haha. Well I live in Portland, drink good coffee, and enjoy an obscure alternative intoxicant. Though I don't wear skinny jeans or drink Pabst. Talking yesterday with some other native Portlanders and we agreed that the people in Portland who act like the people on Portlandia are all transplants.
That's OK, I actually enjoy an obscure alternative intoxicant on vinyl. (Vinyl gloves for kneading, that is)

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Take pictures of your legs. If we see ankles: hipster. Also if your total spend on mustache wax per month is greater than $0.00, that's a key indicator.
You'll see my legs; I'm wearing shorts, which is something we don't get to do much in this corner of the world.

No mustache.

I do ride the hell out of a bike but it's got more than one gear.

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
Nah, I don't think so. I drink a moderate amount of coffee and am heavily affected by kava, as do many of my customers. It may change the way the kava feels, but if it's good kava you should definitely still be affected.

Try drinking on an empty stomach with low lighting. Have enough, meaning at least two strong shells (Which means you used about 1/2 cup of root). Follow up the kava a few minutes later with a small warm meal or a cup of hot tea.
Hmph. Well its almost always empty stomach. I eat oatmeal @7am, no lunch and a very large dinner between 8-9pm. I usually drink kava @7 and wait atleast 45 min before eating. My settings are usually watching tv in bed with only a lamp light on. I might have to change my enviroment to something that im not used to. Also is using hot tap water killing any kavalactones? I mean its nowhere close to boiling temps, im just thinking outloud of what it could be if its not caffeine? I do have a good amount of sugar with my coffee and drink two large cups throughout the day, usually no later than 5pm though.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Hmph. Well its almost always empty stomach. I eat oatmeal @7am, no lunch and a very large dinner between 8-9pm. I usually drink kava @7 and wait atleast 45 min before eating. My settings are usually watching tv in bed with only a lamp light on. I might have to change my enviroment to something that im not used to. Also is using hot tap water killing any kavalactones? I mean its nowhere close to boiling temps, im just thinking outloud of what it could be if its not caffeine? I do have a good amount of sugar with my coffee and drink two large cups throughout the day, usually no later than 5pm though.
Hmm, well maybe you just need a new kava or you need to make it stronger. Very hot water may weaken the drink a small bit, but not so much that it would make a kava not work that otherwise would.

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
At least one study has shown that hotter water (up to about 160 degrees F) does help release kavalactones.