What's new

“Instant” Kava

Kavamo

I posted this on Reddit, but I reckon this is a better place to ask - sorry for not coming here first!

Hi, The other day I put 40 g of traditional ground kava into a 75 micron nut milk bag. I noticed that a fair amount of very fine dust came through the bag and settled in the glass bowl. I kept shaking the bag and more kava dust came through the bag. After about five minutes of gently shaking the dry bag into the glass bowl, about half of the volume of the dry kava had come through the bag in the form of this chalky dust. I was able to collect the chalky dust with a spoon and put it into a container.

My question is whether what is come through the strainer bag is effectively the same as instant kava? My understanding is that normal kava drink is a suspension of the kavalactones in water (ie not a solution), and if that suspension is dehydrated, then that is how instant kava is made. How is that any different from the very fine dust that came through my 75 micron nut milk bag?

My main concern is that I wonder is there a chance that the particles which came through the strainer bag when dry, mightn’t have come through the same strainer bag when wet? Should I just throw it all back into the strainer bag and then strain with water as normal or could I treat the fine powder as if it was instant kava and just mix it with water or fruit juice?

Sorry for the questions, but I’m fairly new to this and I reckon some of you have probably come across this before. Thanks!

Kavamo

You could call it micronized kava
Yeah, but I thought micronised is basically traditional grind, but just ground further into smaller pieces. So micronised contains the woody bits as well. I’m talking about a very fine dust that comes through the mesh strainer bag.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
could I treat the fine powder as if it was instant kava and just mix it with water or fruit juice?
Absolutely, if you have the patience grab a 50 micron bag and sift away, I am not sure if it is really like instant but I think it's the closest you can get to it short of, well drinking instant. GHK has the best instant kava out there, worth trying it. Make sure you do a proper wash with the leftover makas.

Kavamo

Absolutely, if you have the patience grab a 50 micron bag and sift away, I am not sure if it is really like instant but I think it's the closest you can get to it short of, well drinking instant.
Thanks, I think you’re right! I tried this yesterday - the very fine powder mixes with water like an instant and goes into suspension, but it falls out of suspension a bit faster than an instant, so I guess it’s not exactly the same as a real dehydrated instant. Having said that, the effects were pretty solid and I still got to do a full wash with the rest of the kava/dry makas as well, and I didn’t notice any bad after effects, so kind of a win win :)