What's new

Micronized Kava Review 11 Year Waka

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
logo-bula4.png

11 yr. Waka
Controversy aside, this is a nice strong kava with minimal waste. It's effectiveness is quickly evident and sometimes a full, heady blast can be attained in as little as 2 or 2.5 Tablespoons. In terms of headiness and strength per tablespoon, this kava is on par with Mo'i micronized. Very similar in that regard, but their effects diverge as it feels as though this Waka takes a step outside of the solitary kavain headiness. It simultaneously sweeps you gently into that slowed down, calm, kava nighttime mode, but it doesn't completely bog you down. This is what I consider the DHK effect. Think something similar to Kalm's Borongoru or GHK's Hanakapi'ai. I notice calm metered breathing, speech and an overall light tranquility, coupled with the heady sensations.

The taste is a bit bitter, deep and dark...but not too bad since it's micronized. It seems as though kava's with dark stems have a more prominent bitter flavor in their roots. If this waka is made from the Fijian cultivar Loa Kasa Balavu, it would make sense, because that name describes a black-stemmed kava. Waka tends to be more bitter anyway, since it's made with the stronger lateral roots only. The micronization on this one is very fine and powdery, make sure to stir it well, 'cause it likes to clump together and hide under the murky surface of your beverage.

All-in-all, if you've got the cash to be dishing out on micronized, this one certainly gets the job done. Plus, if this is the same kava that the Wakaya/Fiji Water Company is selling, It's actually more affordable to buy it from Bula than it is from Wakaya.

Razzmatazz

kava-snob-small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@skakas, AWESOME!!!
This review was most anticipated by me for quite awhile, so glad you were able get some and try it. The snob doesn't disappoint. :)

Thanks!! (y)

(I still find it odd that I'm the only that seems to think it's very mild tasting considering it's potency)

R

Rookietwoshoes

Your reviews make me swoon , darling!

Glad you liked it .
Frankly, I'd like to do a side by side comparison of Wakaya and the 11 year old .

D

Deleted User01

Nice review Shakas! I have also noticed that the darker the root, the less tasty the kava.

R

Rookietwoshoes

Interesting that Shakas compared it to Mo'i. I just finished reading that Hiwa and Mo'i are dark stemmed kavas that were considered sacred varieties and were both used for ceremonial purposes and as gifts to the deities.
http://mauikava.com/4.html

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Nice review, Shakas. Thanks!

The Waka Wakaya sells won't be exactly the same. I have an agreement that I am the only vendor able to sell the 11 Year (Now almost 12 Year) plants.