What's new

Kava Recipe 200g 2nd wash, technique and yield

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Bula all!

I received some kava from a Fiji'an Waka vendor and an equally excellent quality Vanuatu depot this Thursday. I work weekends, so it is no surprise that I already drank up the waka.

A bit conservatively,on my side, I dare say. Nonetheless, with a pound of roots wetted, sqeezed, and frozen, I knew tonight would be the night to thaw the roots.

Thaw, in warm water, or hot, and then add to strainer and squeeze as if traditional preparation with fresh and ground dry roots. Similar amount of water, one and a half liters or so.

A few moments of squeezing the roots in water and the remaining ice melted, the water would be not quite as warm as the air around me, and the kava root is ready for compost. I rinsed my strainer inside and out, then added 2 heaping tablespoons which weighed 25 grams of the fresh dry and ground Vanuatu root to the cloth strainer and squeezed away.

Roots saved in freezer, the brew was strained one more time into a glass measuring jar.

The math here is that for every shell of rebrew I'll have a certain amount of fresh kava root, in this case 1Tbsp or 7 grams. This is interesting because although the kava looked somewhat pale, it was strong enough to make me shake my head after a shell, a good thing. And the runoff from cleaning my strainer with steaming hot water seemed to be a thicker brew of kava than the brew itself, which after spilling amounted to a liter. I drank 250ml right away and enjoyed it, had another 250ml so I had half of what I made. Very nice brew!

Strong kava, tastes mild. Not bad.
IMG_20210919_025029_9.jpg

Attachments