What's new

Kava Fact of the Day 29 Kavalactones found in kava.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
As of 2021 there are 29 kavalactones in kava that have been isolated and identified.

Wang et al. 2021 - Biological activity, hepatotoxicity, and structure-ac ... kavins, the two m...jpg

Wang, Yingli, Chao Su, Bo Zhang, Yang Niu, Ruru Ren, Xiaojun Zhao, Lingling Yang, Wannian Zhang, and Xueqin Ma. 2021. “Biological Activity, Hepatotoxicity, and Structure-Activity Relationship of Kavalactones and Flavokavins, the Two Main Bioactive Components in Kava (Piper Methysticum).” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine: eCAM 2021 (August): 1–14. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/6851798.​

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
It really makes me wonder what role the other 23 lactones play on the overall effects or if they have a bigger role other than what we already know about the major 6.
It makes me think or conclude that it was prudent of us to for so long to apportion so much of Kava's effects so predominantly to the famous 6, just pondering on the mysterious unseen factors determing the individual kava's subjective effects between cultuvars.

Was I alone just waiting for the inevitable day when a wider range of actives were isolated, identified and no doubt studied similarly?

(That was a rhetorical question btw, but I am really glad to see this.)

What is it they say now? You learn something new every...30 years? Lol.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I knew kava was more than its simple extracts. I know this for many other plants too.

To give an example, at the risk of giving several, I'd like to mention coffee and tea, both have a very different effect on me. Coffee is quick to rise and quick to fall. Tea is slow rise slow fall with less crest. Caffeine isolate is something I abstain from, since it is not the same as coffee or tea. The whole spectrum herbs have balancing factors which make the caffeine worth ingesting for me, it otherwise is not.

I had said more and it got deleted**(by accident) so here I mention my unwillingness to type it again verbatim. Instead I'll get right to my question.

EDIT: all I had said, to summarize, is I had kava extract previously in capsule or alcohol tincture and they did not compare to traditionally prepared kava,and micronized or instant are not the same for me yet they can beenjoyed.

Hydroxykavain,what is it? What role could it play?

Last edited:

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I knew kava was more than its simple extracts. I know this for many other plants too.

To give an example, at the risk of giving several, I'd like to mention coffee and tea, both have a very different effect on me. Coffee is quick to rise and quick to fall. Tea is slow rise slow fall with less crest. Caffeine isolate is something I abstain from, since it is not the same as coffee or tea. The whole spectrum herbs have balancing factors which make the caffeine worth ingesting for me, it otherwise is not.

I had said more and it got deleted**(by accident) so here I mention my unwillingness to type it again verbatim. Instead I'll get right to my question.

EDIT: all I had said, to summarize, is I had kava extract previously in capsule or alcohol tincture and they did not compare to traditionally prepared kava,and micronized or instant are not the same for me yet they can beenjoyed.

Hydroxykavain,what is it? What role could it play?
Right on with the caffeine powder man.

I drink strong black coffees now, prob over 100 mg's caffeine, black teas.

Not every single day. Not more than once a day most times.

Occasionally, 2 or 3 cups.

I notice zero adverse or disruptive effects.

It's not habit, craving, or dependance in any way.

Just a balanced use of nature. Purely functional.

But caffeine powder, I bought some 2019. Even 25 mg's effects me like a strong stimulant, my adrenals and nervous system, which is naturally extra sensitive from Lyme and more.

The pure caffeine just makes me feel rough as hell though. Respiratory effects too.

Coffee doesn't.

Plus, caffeine powder is dangerous as hell too.

A young Australian man mistook it for protein powder, died instantly adding a teaspoon to his shake.

That easy. It's in our cupboard!

Hope you are okay man.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
A young Australian died from a teaspoon of caffeine? That sounds odd. Although 2 to 5 grams of caffeine would be incredibly uncomfortable, it shouldn't kill you, or so I've heard.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
A young Australian died from a teaspoon of caffeine? That sounds odd. Although 2 to 5 grams of caffeine would be incredibly uncomfortable, it shouldn't kill you, or so I've heard.
It's a true story. It happened, officially. It caused a political stir with urgent calls upon the Australian Government to regulate it's sale.

it was one teaspoon, which could be 7 grams heaped as it was.

Immediate death.

i cannot imagine 4-5 grams of pure caffeine powder being safe, myself.

i swear this happened. Was official mainstream news, widely corroborated in 2019.

Just having a strong black coffee here now, first of the day. Homemade edible cannabis dose, a sizeable one awaits next.

I may slide onto some kava soon. Very tired though maybe a needed few hours sleep I'll see.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
That's the one. A real tragedy too.
It is a fact also, and the caffeine powder here is sealed firm in a labelled pot, that I could ingest a fatal amount of it in the time to go downstairs and open the pot. Without need for a spoon.

It's that dangerous. Caution needed anyway. Careful, sensible measure with such things.

Which are again, more widely and fully legal than kava.