What's new

Kava Preparation 5 Star Kuai Kava vs Kava Supreme

UmbrellaOps

Kava Curious
I received my 5 star kava in the mail today. My “go-to” kava has been kava supreme as heavy Vanuatu kavas are kinda my thing. How does 5 star compare?

Also, is it ok to use in the Alubottle? Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
They're somewhat similar, both are relatively potent, both are Vanuatu kavas...5 Star has a cleaner feeling during the experience and the day after. It's literally cleaner as well, cuz all the bark is stripped off the roots before it's ground. It's a bit more balanced than Kava Supreme, with distinct heady elements, but has enough potency and heaviness to be completely satisfying.

Sure you can put it in the Alubottle...but I'd make sure you try some traditional kneading sometimes too.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I can't improve on the above. It's a tough call to say which one I prefer but both are good, solid kavas.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
The 5 star will give you longer sessions due to the headier leaning elements and lack of side effects. I've been mixing the two lately because the Supreme I'm getting has been on the more potent and sedating side and it's been a while since I've experienced that. The only problem is if I blend too much Supreme it overshadows the more subtle (but enjoyable) elements of the 5 star and if I blend too little I don't get that relaxing sedation. I'm finding that I like to prep both separately and start with the 5 star and then move to the Supreme when I need to sleep or I can alternate the two and have a very long and heavy session. That way I get the most enjoyment and benefit from them.

How often do you do traditional prep compared to Aluball? I think it would work well with the Aluball due to the super fine grind. The instructions on the bag actually suggest blending and consuming without straining but I haven't tried that yet as past experiences with micronized have always resulted in unacceptable dermo and nausea.

UmbrellaOps

Kava Curious
Thanks for all the feedback, friends. I don’t have the 5 star quite yet. My wife got the mail today and turns out it’s just more Supreme that I ordered, haha. Still a good thing to come home to after a long work day!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thanks for all the feedback, friends. I don’t have the 5 star quite yet. My wife got the mail today and turns out it’s just more Supreme that I ordered, haha. Still a good thing to come home to after a long work day!

both are excellent. 5 Star has a tad more going on with it. Supreme is more a single purpose kava, whereas 5 Star is doing more different things. And Supreme tastes good, especially for a heavy kava, and each successive batch I've had tasted better than the one before, but 5 Star tastes better. Both excellent. On a scale of 100 I'd put Supreme at about 88 or 89 and 5 Star at about a 92 or 93.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
They're somewhat similar, both are relatively potent, both are Vanuatu kavas...5 Star has a cleaner feeling during the experience and the day after. It's literally cleaner as well, cuz all the bark is stripped off the roots before it's ground. It's a bit more balanced than Kava Supreme, with distinct heady elements, but has enough potency and heaviness to be completely satisfying.

Sure you can put it in the Alubottle...but I'd make sure you try some traditional kneading sometimes too.
I have not tried the 5 star...that I know of. Has anyone run a chemotype on it?

UmbrellaOps

Kava Curious
The 5 star will give you longer sessions due to the headier leaning elements and lack of side effects. I've been mixing the two lately because the Supreme I'm getting has been on the more potent and sedating side and it's been a while since I've experienced that. The only problem is if I blend too much Supreme it overshadows the more subtle (but enjoyable) elements of the 5 star and if I blend too little I don't get that relaxing sedation. I'm finding that I like to prep both separately and start with the 5 star and then move to the Supreme when I need to sleep or I can alternate the two and have a very long and heavy session. That way I get the most enjoyment and benefit from them.

How often do you do traditional prep compared to Aluball? I think it would work well with the Aluball due to the super fine grind. The instructions on the bag actually suggest blending and consuming without straining but I haven't tried that yet as past experiences with micronized have always resulted in unacceptable dermo and nausea.
Well I tried 5 Star by itself but I didn’t get the initial onset feeling I usually like. Still a very “clean” feel like mentioned above. I ended up mixing one aluball with 5 star and the other with supreme. It worked out well.

Tonight I think I’ll make supreme by itself then make a batch with both.

kw2292

Kava Curious
which vendor sells 5 star ?
Kava Kauai. Website is Realkava.com. Just got my bag of 5 Star in the mail going to test it out in a bit. Beautiful Sunday to sit outside by the pool hoping to relax some sore muscles.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Without having tried the 5 Star Kava, one has to emphasize that Kava Supreme is considerably cheaper. So I'd always go for that, in particular when the two varieties are similar in effects.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Supreme and 5 Star are quite a bit different. They each have their place but with the recent Amazon $5 price hike and Amazon charging sales tax, before shipping they are the same price now.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
The grind on the 5 star is so fine it's close to micro. I just throw it in a blender a few seconds and gulp. No need to strain . Without staining or kneading you get
a lot more out of it . The aluball works but it's kind a wasteful and not really necessary with 5 star. Kava Supreme is pretty much a strong sedative effect for me with
little of anything else. It's very good at what it does but I'm into heady kavas so just not my cup of tea.