What's new

Kava FAQ 50-75 micron muslin bag

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
I’m having issues with Alubottle. Sometimes I get a suuuuper Red itchy reaction from just one drink here and there. Also wake up super anxious the next morning. I’m wondering if I’m getting too much sediment through. Someone suggested that people have a lot of success with a 50-75 micron bag and have negated a lot of those odd side effects some people get. Any one here relate with this??

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I’m having issues with Alubottle. Sometimes I get a suuuuper Red itchy reaction from just one drink here and there. Also wake up super anxious the next morning. I’m wondering if I’m getting too much sediment through. Someone suggested that people have a lot of success with a 50-75 micron bag and have negated a lot of those odd side effects some people get. Any one here relate with this??
The aluball has a 80 Micron size filter/screen. it wouldn't make much of a difference between a 75 Micron bag but you may want to give the 50 Micron a try. Regardless of the strainer, if you're getting allergic reactions you may want to look at the kava you're drinking and maybe try something new.

you may also want to try to drink kava earlier in the night so you don't wake up the next day Restless or anxious.

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
The aluball has a 80 Micron size filter/screen. it wouldn't make much of a difference between a 75 Micron bag but you may want to give the 50 Micron a try. Regardless of the strainer, if you're getting allergic reactions you may want to look at the kava you're drinking and maybe try something new.

you may also want to try to drink kava earlier in the night so you don't wake up the next day Restless or anxious.
Might be a good idea

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
I feel that my Aluball method is good but when I make larger batches, I strain the Aluball mixture through a 75 micron as it goes into the jar through a funnel. I do end up with quite a bit more sediment in the strainer. So, I find that it is a good mix as the Aluballs do most of the work but that little bit strains more out. I still get a good grog with plenty of sediment. I prefer to have most of the goods in my kava. However, I would look into that type of reaction. I have yet to get an actual allergic dermatitis or anxiety the next day from kava.

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
I feel that my Aluball method is good but when I make larger batches, I strain the Aluball mixture through a 75 micron as it goes into the jar through a funnel. I do end up with quite a bit more sediment in the strainer. So, I find that it is a good mix as the Aluballs do most of the work but that little bit strains more out. I still get a good grog with plenty of sediment. I prefer to have most of the goods in my kava. However, I would look into that type of reaction. I have yet to get an actual allergic dermatitis or anxiety the next day from kava.
I agree with that. When I use Alubal and then 75 micron strainer I always catch a bunch of sediments. It depends of the strain. More with kava like Savusavu then Borogu for instance.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
I agree with that. When I use Alubal and then 75 micron strainer I always catch a bunch of sediments. It depends of the strain. More with kava like Savusavu then Borogu for instance.
Yes, I agree. My Borogu has been spot on, as has my Vinaka Waka but KWK Loa Waka is almost a finer powder. I find the same with this as Savusavu, where I would actually see floaters in the jug if I did not strain with 75 microns. My trad prep strainer is the professional strainer from Kavafied, which I love, but it is 100 microns. I use this a lot for my grogs from freezer left over waka, as it is a very large amount of waka and find success. I do the same with this as I filter (using Kavafied's 75 micron smaller strainer) to produce my final grog.