What's new

8 tbsp/day = liver damage?

kavanoob

Kava Curious
Would 8 tbsp of micronized noble kava for someone who weighs 110 lbs be okay, or would it be too much to cause liver damage?

Most I've had was 3 tbsp per day. I'm just curious.

I know kava's reputation for liver damage is based on outdated & faulty government research wherein they mix the plant material with the root material.

But still, 8 tbsp of root material per day for someone who's 110 lbs... would that still be okay?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
In theory any amount of kava should not cause liver damage, that whole thing has been debunked. It's more down to how would you feel on that dose, do you really need that much? Maybe you do. If you're curious about regular kava users liver tests there is a thread floating about somewhere with plenty of info on it.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I drank vastly more than that daily for a long time and my liver is fine. There is no amount of kava that we know of which will cause liver damage in the absence of comorbid drug abuse or other issues.

You might find that amount of micronized damaging to your bank account however

Last edited:

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Would 8 tbsp of micronized noble kava for someone who weighs 110 lbs be okay, or would it be too much to cause liver damage?

Most I've had was 3 tbsp per day. I'm just curious.

I know kava's reputation for liver damage is based on outdated & faulty government research wherein they mix the plant material with the root material.

But still, 8 tbsp of root material per day for someone who's 110 lbs... would that still be okay?
I've been drinking kava nearly daily for a few years now, with similar quantities. I've also had my liver tested multiple times since starting, and there have been no red flags. My experience is purely anecdotal of course, but the National Institute of Health has a great site dedicated to liver toxicity. In their kava entry, they explain that the chances someone will have liver issues while using kava are 1 in a million, and even that number isn't necessarily true. That one person could have had family history of liver issues, other medications being used, alcohol dependence, etc etc.

TL;DR: Don't worry about your liver when using kava. There is very little, if any, correlation to liver problems and proper root.