What's new

A couple of noob questions re: dermo

For someone who drinks a few shells daily for months, is it pretty much inevitable that dermopathy will be encountered in some form?

I've only been consuming for the past month and have noticed some dry skin / lips. Nothing severe, probably due to some minor dehydration.

Has anyone successfully "powered through" the dermo while continuing to drink? I like how this is a healthier option to drinking alcohol, I just wish dermo wasn't a factor, albeit a benign condition.

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
For someone who drinks a few shells daily for months, is it pretty much inevitable that dermopathy will be encountered in some form?

I've only been consuming for the past month and have noticed some dry skin / lips. Nothing severe, probably due to some minor dehydration.

Has anyone successfully "powered through" the dermo while continuing to drink? I like how this is a healthier option to drinking, I just wish dermo wasn't a factor, albeit a benign condition.
It depends how much you are consuming everyday, the type of kava and your diet. There are plenty of people that drink it daily without any problems, including myself for the most part. I have drank through dermo using Amlactin and coconut oil as a daily supplement but it's easier to take a few days off.

Thanks for the reply. I was considering coconut oil but was a little concerned about it raising cholesterol. Although I think carbs and sugar likely do greater harm. I'm in the process of improving my diet so hopefully that will help prevent/speed up recovery.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks for the reply. I was considering coconut oil but was a little concerned about it raising cholesterol. Although I think carbs and sugar likely do greater harm. I'm in the process of improving my diet so hopefully that will help prevent/speed up recovery.
I eat a tablespoon of fresh coconut oil a day, sometimes I incorporate it in the foods I eat, i.e. as a butter alternative on toast, I get creative with it :)

Welcome to the forums btw.

Much of the saturated fat content is lauric acid. This beneficial saturated fat can actually help boost your high-density lipoprotein, the "good" cholesterol that reduces your risk of heart disease.