What's new

A Gentle Reminder of How Precious Kava Is

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
In 2017, I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder after a string of panic attacks. To make a long story short - after medication attempts and the whole 9 yards (to no avail) I found Kava. While I started initially using it for anxiety, with great success, I eventually got over my anxiety issues and continued using it recreationally. I chalked my healing process up to mostly just time, effort, and Kava (of course).

Recently, life has been going pretty well. I've made more progress in-terms of college courses and all sorts of other things that I have to be happy about - although with the increase in things to do, I haven't made much time for Kava. Recently has been a repeat of 2017 - my anxiety has come back, panic attacks, the whole 9 yards - after 5 years of it being completely under control. Things that used to not phase me have suddenly gotten under my skin. It wasn't until tonight that I remembered I have hardly had any Kava over the past several months. I've been going to bed super early, working out more often, and one of my favorite nightly rituals over the past several years was to unwind with a (usually hefty) amount of Kava. That last part, I have not done for the past few months.

I don't know whether or not the lack of Kava in my life is what allowed all of these anxiety problems to surface again. But I can say for certain - a 5 year streak of no panic attacks, with a Kava ritual of at least a few times a week - seems to be a pretty strong correlation in my opinion, if ya catch my drift. I'm going to start making more time for Kava and making sure, at least a few days a week, I get some into me whether I like it or not. This plant truly is a medicine.

The first time I had Kava, I remember describing to my Mother that it felt like a switch flipped in my brain - and I remember that feeling vividly. That constant anxiety that ailed me was just gone. Poof. Not even a Xanax (which I still take on occasion) could amount to that effect. It was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever experienced.

Just thought I would share this as reminder of how awesome this root is, and the community that surrounds it is equally as great. Kava truly is a medicinal blessing. You guys are awesome and it's been a pleasure hanging around these forums on and off for the past few years. Bula!

Cassie

Very delighted that you shared this (your) story.
Truly amazing plant!
It is an underground railroad to freedom from the many
ways anxiety, trauma, past tragedy, can enslave us.
Beautiful! It really is a godsend for me so far on my recent journey to health. Do you have any recommendations for a good strong strain? Looking for something that mimics alcohol as much as possible though I do understand there's some trial and error.

Cassie

In 2017, I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder after a string of panic attacks. To make a long story short - after medication attempts and the whole 9 yards (to no avail) I found Kava. While I started initially using it for anxiety, with great success, I eventually got over my anxiety issues and continued using it recreationally. I chalked my healing process up to mostly just time, effort, and Kava (of course).

Recently, life has been going pretty well. I've made more progress in-terms of college courses and all sorts of other things that I have to be happy about - although with the increase in things to do, I haven't made much time for Kava. Recently has been a repeat of 2017 - my anxiety has come back, panic attacks, the whole 9 yards - after 5 years of it being completely under control. Things that used to not phase me have suddenly gotten under my skin. It wasn't until tonight that I remembered I have hardly had any Kava over the past several months. I've been going to bed super early, working out more often, and one of my favorite nightly rituals over the past several years was to unwind with a (usually hefty) amount of Kava. That last part, I have not done for the past few months.

I don't know whether or not the lack of Kava in my life is what allowed all of these anxiety problems to surface again. But I can say for certain - a 5 year streak of no panic attacks, with a Kava ritual of at least a few times a week - seems to be a pretty strong correlation in my opinion, if ya catch my drift. I'm going to start making more time for Kava and making sure, at least a few days a week, I get some into me whether I like it or not. This plant truly is a medicine.

The first time I had Kava, I remember describing to my Mother that it felt like a switch flipped in my brain - and I remember that feeling vividly. That constant anxiety that ailed me was just gone. Poof. Not even a Xanax (which I still take on occasion) could amount to that effect. It was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever experienced.

Just thought I would share this as reminder of how awesome this root is, and the community that surrounds it is equally as great. Kava truly is a medicinal blessing. You guys are awesome and it's been a pleasure hanging around these forums on and off for the past few years. Bula!
This is awesome! And so encouraging. Do you have a particular kind you fancy? I'd like to know which was stronger than xanax lol. I've only tried a couple different brands and strains. It's a big help, but wouldn't mind something a little stronger..

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Beautiful! It really is a godsend for me so far on my recent journey to health. Do you have any recommendations for a good strong strain? Looking for something that mimics alcohol as much as possible though I do understand there's some trial and error.
Not sure about "mimics alcohol" but all I can suggest is a kava cultivar with safe historic use (Noble).
I am familiar with any Hawaiian cultivar as great as are so many others from throughout the Pacific kava growing regions.

Cassie

Not sure about "mimics alcohol" but all I can suggest is a kava cultivar with safe historic use (Noble).
I am familiar with any Hawaiian cultivar as great as are so many others from throughout the Pacific kava growing regions.
Gotcha! Thank you so much! There's gonna be some trial and error, etc, but it's fun becoming more versed :)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
This is awesome! And so encouraging. Do you have a particular kind you fancy? I'd like to know which was stronger than xanax lol. I've only tried a couple different brands and strains. It's a big help, but wouldn't mind something a little stronger..
I don't think you will find a kava that is like xanax. Kava is like a gentle breeze, the warm sun on your face, an embrace of a loved one that gently and calmly help reduce stress and anxiety. Xanax is like a guilitone to relive a headache. It works but damn it is hard to live with the side effects and mental shut down.

Tumarumaru

Gunga la Gunga
The closest I've found are the Fiji Kavas. We are really enjoying these at this time.