What's new

A Leaf of Faith Documentary...

Kodiak

Kava Curious
It was an OK enter-docu-tainment. The main dude breaks a lot of the impartiality rules that make for good documentary content, and gets pretty adversarial with an admittedly infuriating politician. Not sure if it was a net positive for K@ overall other than perhaps for awareness.
I'd really like to see someone like Frontline spend an hour on the topic, given that we are in the grips of an ongoing opioid catastrophe and K@ seems to be helping people who aren't already too fargone.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
On Netflix, there's a new documentary called "A Leaf of Faith" which discusses K@, its usage, potential for addiction, etc. In fact, they go to a Purple Lotus "Kava" bar in Florida where they mix K@ with kava.

Wherever you stand on the issue, I figured this crowd might enjoy (or not) the watch.
My first thought? It really worries me when they lump kava in with K@! Not because I think K@ is bad for whomever needs it but it is apples and oranges. We may lose our ability to consume kava someday soon if they keep lumping them today. Sorry, just my two cents. I'll watch the documentary, hoping for good news on K@ (even if only to help those who need it as an alternative to pain meds and, also, to keep Kava OFF the radar!). :/

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Kava tends to get lumped in with K@ because there are a lot of similarities in the types of effects and people use them for many similar health issues (could add cannabis and several other medical grade herbs to that group). Regardless, kava will only be banned if we (the kava community) do not stay active in the future of political actions that might affect it.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Kava tends to get lumped in with K@ because there are a lot of similarities in the types of effects and people use them for many similar health issues (could add cannabis and several other medical grade herbs to that group). Regardless, kava will only be banned if we (the kava community) do not stay active in the future of political actions that might affect it.
It is unfairly lumped in with K@. As much as I strongly feel that K@ should remain legal, there is one huge difference that should keep kava legal: it is 100% NOT addictive. Whereas, the best excuse against K@ (for those same politicians) is that there is proof that K@ *IS* addictive. It is but not nearly as damaging as big pharma. Also, kava is not nearly as mind altering as cannabis. These are all truths where we can pull up proof, from the studies in Australia and NZ and fight to keep it legal. Lumping it with K@ or even cannabis is false. Sadly, you are correct in the policitians lumping them all together and possibly blanket banning all substances. We will all keep fighting. I am sure of that...

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
It is unfairly lumped in with K@. As much as I strongly feel that K@ should remain legal, there is one huge difference that should keep kava legal: it is 100% NOT addictive. Whereas, the best excuse against K@ (for those same politicians) is that there is proof that K@ *IS* addictive. It is but not nearly as damaging as big pharma. Also, kava is not nearly as mind altering as cannabis. These are all truths where we can pull up proof, from the studies in Australia and NZ and fight to keep it legal. Lumping it with K@ or even cannabis is false. Sadly, you are correct in the policitians lumping them all together and possibly blanket banning all substances. We will all keep fighting. I am sure of that...
It's not that the effects of the different plants are equivalent or the same, it's that some people find them useful for many of the same conditions such as anxiety, insomnia, depression, pain control and addiction support. It's not uncommon for people to try several different herbs and settle on what works best for them. Because of the difference in effects and side effects they all have an important place to certain people.

The biggest danger for kava freedom in the US isn't that it'll get confused with one of the other plants but that it will either come under scrutiny (attack) when the market gets big enough to eat into other industries profits or gets caught in the same net as other herbs that cause certain effects, side effects, etc. The people who are out pushing the idea that certain kava cultivars are proven to be dangerous, even deadly, are likely to cause much more long term harm than an ethnobotanical bar selling kava and K@ or whatever else.

D

dayaneterrace

I started watching this documentary because I thought it would reveal something profound about faith. But I didn't see anything there except the typical subjective narrative by a person who’s far from Christianity or any other faith. I'm disappointed in Netflix. I get disappointed with every new release. I'm not against the normalization of LGBT people, even though I'm a Christian. At our church firstchurchlove.com, our parishioners tell us how someone’s brother or sister belongs to the LGBT+ community. We discuss this and invite this person to our church. I don't like that Netflix began normalizing child alcoholism, debauchery, and drugs. They rarely show the underside of alcohol intoxication.

Last edited by a moderator:

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
A concern for me, is that someone may try K@ kava combo on their first time trying kava (or either herb, for that matter). In my personal experience, the two herbal remedies can be great on their own, however I don't get such a positive reaction from mixing them together in the same container. I find the taste to be worse than either of them alone, as well as the belly upset. Also, K@ doesn't let me drink as much kava due to the belly upset so I prefer to only drink kava, that way I can drink enough kava to feel kava effects.

I'm only commenting on what was read in the post. I didn't get a chance to look at the documentary yet.