What's new

A question about dermo

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Here's an interesting question about dermo. Are you better off drinking a lower amount of a stronger kava? Is it the amount of root you use that causes the dermo rather than the amount of kavalactones that you consume? So would it be better to drink, say 30g Stone against 60g Nene?

I've been drinking industrial amounts of heavy kava recently due to problems at home and I've got some painful dermo despite taking coconut oil capsules which normally work really well. I haven't had a balanced kava in weeks though, pretty much everything heavy and in the 50 to 80g a day range so I'm not overly surprised. The answer to the above would be interesting though.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
That one's sort of a difficult question to answer. Considering I'm starting to think the kavalactones aren't responsible for the skin effects, then it may be even more convoluted in terms of which kava may or may not cause dry skin.

Elmanaro

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Kava Vendor
Here's an interesting question about dermo. Are you better off drinking a lower amount of a stronger kava? Is it the amount of root you use that causes the dermo rather than the amount of kavalactones that you consume? So would it be better to drink, say 30g Stone against 60g Nene?

I've been drinking industrial amounts of heavy kava recently due to problems at home and I've got some painful dermo despite taking coconut oil capsules which normally work really well. I haven't had a balanced kava in weeks though, pretty much everything heavy and in the 50 to 80g a day range so I'm not overly surprised. The answer to the above would be interesting though.
The dermo is caused by two day kava, all Vanuatu noble varieties (excluding borogo) will not cause any dermo. I drink it everyday and my skin is fine.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
The dermo is caused by two day kava, all Vanuatu noble varieties (excluding borogo) will not cause any dermo. I drink it everyday and my skin is fine.
Do you drink it fresh though? I'm definitely drinking noble kava and definitely have dermo. Maybe it's dried kava with the increased sediment that causes it?

PurimGrogger

Because "Shell Silverstein" was already taken
I think that a factor in dermo - and this is hunch/anecdotal - is how the root is ground and how much peel makes it in. I think this affects some of the strong root that you have said you have been drinking. Some companies grind differently (see discourse on the "canoe method" and how it works with certain grinds . . ).

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
When it comes to Dermo, what I’ve learned through my experience is;
Fresh is better than Dried
Peeled is better than Unpeeled
and
Less is better than more.

So in general, the less macroscopic particles you ingest the better.

I only get hints of dermo every once in a while now, but I used to get full body dermo a lot. Back then I was drinking mostly dark brown unpeeled waka, through a 150-200 micron strainer @ 8 - 12 Tbsp per night.
Now I almost always drink 7 - 9 Tbsp per night and typically blend peeled 5Star/WOW/Nambawan/KavaSociety type of kava with my waka…or just drink 100% peeled. Plus I only use 75-100 micron strainer bags now.

The major detractor to this, is that the ‘full’ psychoactive kava experience has been greatly diminished in most cases.

Jean

Kava Curious
The dermopathy comes from the fact that kava is a pepper and contains piperine or similar molecule that are irritating.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
When it comes to Dermo, what I’ve learned through my experience is;
Fresh is better than Dried
Peeled is better than Unpeeled
and
Less is better than more.

So in general, the less macroscopic particles you ingest the better.

I only get hints of dermo every once in a while now, but I used to get full body dermo a lot. Back then I was drinking mostly dark brown unpeeled waka, through a 150-200 micron strainer @ 8 - 12 Tbsp per night.
Now I almost always drink 7 - 9 Tbsp per night and typically blend peeled 5Star/WOW/Nambawan/KavaSociety type of kava with my waka…or just drink 100% peeled. Plus I only use 75-100 micron strainer bags now.

The major detractor to this, is that the ‘full’ psychoactive kava experience has been greatly diminished in most cases.
This sums it up nicely.....I to am not 100% convinced that kavalactones are the real culprit, and if they are it is not all of them.