What's new

A question for those who drink kava daily.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I'm around 12, and trying to gain. Honestly I think Kava has kept me in an "intermittent fasting" state, due to not wanting to eat before shelling and dinner. So I'll eat lunch, not eat ANYTHING (no snacks, like I used to), then have a Kava session, wait a while, and eat dinner.

EDIT: Hit the wrong number. Just checked to verify on our home device.
I am pretty sure 12 means you died 3 weeks ago from anorexia o_O

WaitingForGrogot

Kava Curious
I had to cut back from daily use because I was getting really underweight - I didn't realize how effective Kava is as an appetite suppressant! Surprisingly it took a week or two of abstaining for my appetite to really come back full force. This and the dermo means I can't really be a daily user any more - which is fine, I find I appreciate kava more as an occasional thing (thought I do miss regular shelling...).

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I just wanted to see if there was someone out there like me, a daily kava drinker that just can't gain weight. I'll continue checking off the possibilities. This is something I've been dealing with for years so it's not a new issue by any means. I can be thankful it isn't the opposite problem.
It's possible and likely it is based on your metabolism or BMR rather than amount of kava you drink daily, here is a calculator for reference.
Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of calories required to keep your body functioning at rest. BMR is also known as your body’s metabolism; therefore, any increase to your metabolic weight, such as exercise, will increase your BMR. To get your BMR, simply input your height, gender, age and weight below. Once you’ve determined your BMR, you can begin to monitor how many calories a day you need to maintain or lose weight.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I'm around 12, and trying to gain. Honestly I think Kava has kept me in an "intermittent fasting" state, due to not wanting to eat before shelling and dinner. So I'll eat lunch, not eat ANYTHING (no snacks, like I used to), then have a Kava session, wait a while, and eat dinner.

EDIT: Hit the wrong number. Just checked to verify on our home device.
yes, my kava drinking is inherently the same thing as intermittent fasting. I eat between 8 am and 4 pm

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
My BMI is at 19 right now. I have often struggled with being under weight. I've also been told after various measurements that my fat percentage is too low.
I've heard this book has helped some: Amazon productI didn't really gain weight again until I switched jobs, from blue collar all day go go go, to now an office. I bet once I get a gym membership, I may become easily underweight again. I blame metabolism.